User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 02-Feb-17 18:39:11
Print Post

Fibre up to 38Mbps vs up to 76Mbps

[link to this post]

Until this morning I was on Unlimited Fibre up to 76Mbps on which I get 47Mbps download reported on Speedtest.net, so when speaking to the cust service rep I asked about the difference between that product and the cheaper "up to 38Mbps" one.
I was told that the maximum speeds where as per the product name and when I asked whether PlusNet throttle the connection to achieve the 38Mbps max on my line, I was told that they didn't, so for a fair bit less monthly dosh, I've "downgraded" to the cheaper product effective today.
So far I've seen no difference in speed using Speedtest.net but it begs the question: if PlusNet don't throttle the connection, then why do they offer two-tiers of fibre service?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 02-Feb-17 19:28:41
Print Post

Re: Fibre up to 38Mbps vs up to 76Mbps

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

There are two relevant Openreach products that Plusnet sell. 80/20 and 40/2. They are advertised as 76 maximum and 38 maximum for ASA reasons. The 40/2 of course costs Plusnet less.

What you have lost, if it matters to you, is a huge chunk of your upstream speed. It was probably at or a bit above 10Mbps and is now limited to 2Mbps. Most other ISPs barring TalkTalk sell 80/20 and 40/10. BT sell 80/20 and 55/10.

You have probably also entered a new 12 or 18 month minimum term.

If you are still getting over 40Mbps downstream and around 10Mbps upstream, the downgrade simply hasn't happened yet. If you ordered it only this morning it may be overnight, or more likely 2-3 days before it happens. Plusnet order from BT Wholesale then BT Wholesale order from Openreach who have to change you over

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 02-Feb-17 19:31:50)

Standard User longedge
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-17 19:47:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You have probably also entered a new 12 or 18 month minimum term.

Or 24 months if you aren't careful. I've just renewed today for 18 months but am currently awaiting a written assurance that my upload won't be reduced to 2Mbps. I've got 14 days within which to cancel if I can't get it. Whilst negotiating the first offer was a 24 month contract and that seems to be the 'default' now. I'm in the LRS trap for another 6 months anyway.

The contract that I was sent by email only specified download speed but I understand that there is some mention hidden somewhere on the +Net site that makes mention of the 2Mbps upload.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 02-Feb-17 20:22:18
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by longedge:
The contract that I was sent by email only specified download speed but I understand that there is some mention hidden somewhere on the +Net site that makes mention of the 2Mbps upload.
Three-quarters of the way down in the "Legal" section at the bottom of most/all pages. As well hidden as it could possibly be! I don't think it shows in any main areas.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 02-Feb-17 22:45:55
Print Post

Yes, I've just noticed the 2Mbps upload speed - that's useless to me and wasn't mentioned by the customer service rep or anywhere in the subsequent emails sent when I signed up for the new contract.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 02-Feb-17 23:26:14
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

If by useless you mean insufficient, and you are sure it wasn't mentioned on the telephone, then the contract is invalid and you can get out of it. Either by returning to 76/19 or migrating without penalty.

The problem with migrating is if you are on LRS, IIRC you said you are. They won't refund that. Plus if you are aiming to save money it might be difficult.

It might be worth looking at what deals BT, Sky and TalkTalk are offering, including any cashback site offers. That might make the loss on LRS disappear.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Feb-17 15:26:23
Print Post

If by useless you mean insufficient, and you are sure it wasn't mentioned on the telephone, then the contract is invalid and you can get out of it. Either by returning to 76/19 or migrating without penalty.
Can't the OP just change their mind as it's still within 14 days?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Feb-17 16:14:23
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

If they have one for downgrades.

Do Plusnet have a 14-day grace period anyway?

Standard User gerarda
(regular) Fri 03-Feb-17 16:39:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by longedge:
Three-quarters of the way down in the "Legal" section at the bottom of most/all pages. As well hidden as it could possibly be! I don't think it shows in any main areas.

If its hidden as much as that I would have thought an 80% reduction in uploads speed is sufficient for the contract to be rendered as unfair.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 03-Feb-17 17:34:18
Print Post

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

I've just had a reply to my support ticket which effectively = "It's 40/2 take it or leave it." I'm currently sat in a queue to tell them I'm leaving it.

Yes there is a 14 day 'cooling off period' fortunately.

p.s. - It's only the download speed that forms part of the contract, I don't know if that's fair or not.

p.p.s. - That's it. Renewal cancelled and confirmation of cancellation received in writing. I now have 6 months to have a good look round to see who my next ISP is going to be.

Edited by longedge (Fri 03-Feb-17 18:22:08)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to