User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DRW
(committed) Mon 20-Feb-17 23:29:35
Print Post

Does the BTW Performance Test trigger action

[link to this post]

After suffering from a 50% reduction in down load speed (and going thru the ritual of switching off an on the SamKnows box) and running the BTW Performance test including the Advanced test, which came up with a 0 Mbps download speed, I reported the problem to PN.

Within 2 hours the download speed has dramatically improved - fastest for a very long time.

So the question is
Does a bad result from a BTW Performance test trigger an automatic response by Openreach or it's equipment.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Feb-17 08:43:54
Print Post

Re: Does the BTW Performance Test trigger action

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

Does a bad result from a BTW Performance test trigger an automatic response by Openreach or it's equipment.

In short, no.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Feb-17 08:49:42
Print Post

Do you mean the Further Diagnostics, or the Test 2 and Test 3 direct to BT kit? AIUI all the Further Diagnostics do is pick up the IP Profiles on BTW circuits, and don't work on non-BTW.

If you did mean the Further Diagnostics that would suggest the line went down completely in the short interval from submitting the phone number to getting the reply. In which case there may have been a major problem at the PCP or exchange and that might get fixed PDQ.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 21-Feb-17 08:54:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DRW
(committed) Tue 21-Feb-17 09:43:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I ran the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test, the easy one then I ran the further test that required me to connect to the BT address. This came up with a 0 download speed.

Many years ago I worked in a factory making Strowger telephone exchange switch gear, one of the racks was called the Routiner Rack, which if I remember correctly was used to check all the circuits.
From this distant memory I would have expected (or not be surprised if) the modern exchange (which is a computer) would be able to receive error messages from the test such as the BT Wholesale Tests to trigger circuit swapping to cure the problem with out requiriing human intervention.

Hence my question.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Feb-17 10:59:17
Print Post

Two questions. ADSLx or FTTC, and a BT Wholesale CP or "LLU"?

For instance, on ADSL2+ LLU circuit swapping might not be that simple, and on FTTC there are so many points potential of failure I can't see it happening at all. Given the hard-wiring at the cabinets on FTTC.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User DRW
(committed) Tue 21-Feb-17 11:06:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

FTTC and supplied by Plusnet both phone line and internet.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Feb-17 13:22:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by DRW:
FTTC and supplied by Plusnet both phone line and internet.
So to clarify things a little, You have been experiencing low/ service affecting downstream throughput , So you visited the BT Performance test site, you did the normal speed test and then continued to the further diagnostics page , entered your land line number and hit continue, it eventually then displayed another page, which shows your BT IP profile and speedtest results, And the download graph was displayed in red? (So sub 40mbps throughput) it then offers the option to run further tests, (bottom right corner ) if you select this on the following page it gives instructions on how to run a TAP3 test,

To run this part successfully you have to change the xDSL user name field and input the one shown in the instructions, you also have to change the router's DNS server settings, by selecting Auto select DNS server, and then save and restart /reconnect whichever is applicable for your device,
You then should be able to run the BTW Walled garden Speedtest (TAP3)
After you have got a result do not re-run the BT speedtester until your ISP has collected the info, as the tester only stores the last result, so newer tests will overwrite it

The BTWholesale Perf Tester isn't checked by anyone, unless you have raised issues with your ISP, they will use the TAP3 test where possible as evidence that your service is impacted, Are you seeing low throughput at certain times of the day , is it everyday or just certain days?

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 21-Feb-17 13:26:04)

Standard User DRW
(committed) Fri 24-Feb-17 12:12:52
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I ran the third part of the test as instructed and it came up with a 0 result.
Later on that day the service returned to normal.

Today I had a telephone call from a support person at Plusnet to see how the service was, he had read my trouble report and noted how the service had returned to normal. He had also seen that I had run the BTW test and looked at the results. He had spoken to BT OPenreach to find out what they had done, they said they had done nothing, they had seen the results of my BTW tests and investigated the system by which time the service was running normally.

The PN Tech support person said that the BT guys said they had done nothing, however he suspects that something did did kick something into working properly.

So my conclusion is that completing the BTW tests as instructed may be a very worthwhile activity if you are getting poor download results.

As is often the case - powering down and powering up does solve a lot of issues.

However YMMV
  Print Thread

Jump to