User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Wagstaff
(experienced) Thu 09-Mar-17 10:17:48
Print Post

Speed Issues

[link to this post]

It's been a long time since I've asked for help over speed issues, but I'm staying with a friend, who's a Plusnet customer, and she's asked me to look at her internet connection.
I'm still trying to remember all the terminology!! Anyway, I did a speed check and her download rate is averaging at 3.5 Mbps and upload is in the region of 0.4 Mbps. The readings from her Plusnet modem show NM at 27.3/15.4 and Line Attenuation at 14.2/32.5. I'm not sure why there are two readings in each case, but those are the current ones as indicated when I log onto the modem.
Looking at the physical setup, there appear to be other issues which could have a detrimental affect on the speed rates. For example, she has a telephone bell attached and the extension that she's using for the modem runs from the main socket on the outside of the building.
Some of these problems I'll try to sort out if I can, but any advice from you guys would be very useful.

"Nature selects for survival; man selects for appearance."
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Mar-17 10:28:10
Print Post

Re: Speed Issues

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

Two readings as one is downstream and one is upstream. You omitted to mention the connection rate that should be alongside the attenuation and noise margin figures.

Make a note of all 6 figures and unplug the ADSL modem when doing the various changes, to avoid the modem flapping around.

Bells if the old physical metal ringer variety are bad for ADSL, and should have a filter fitted in line.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc will take the figures you get from the modem and tell you if in the expected range of speed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Wagstaff
(experienced) Thu 09-Mar-17 10:36:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the response, Andrew. I couldn't see any reference to "connection rate" on the modem, but I'll have another look at the figures and get back to you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 09-Mar-17 10:53:30
Print Post

It's usually the line immediately above the SNRM and attenuation. Figures usually Kbps.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Wagstaff
(experienced) Thu 09-Mar-17 18:23:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Apologies Bob/Andrew, I've been AFK for most of the day. Should have remembered that the response from TBB forums is very quick.

The figures are as follows:-

Data Rate: 440/4539
Maximum Data Rate: 888/12292

I've had a look outside, and I was appalled to see that the drop wire isn't fixed to the wall. The external cable going around the building is quite a long run, but it looks okay apart from a small section that runs parallel to a power cable.

Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Thu 09-Mar-17 20:36:45
Print Post

It's an ADSL 2+ connection, with the upstream capped. Easiest way to get it uncapped is either on Plusnet's own forums, or possibly on their Facebook or Twitter feeds, should you take part in such frivolities,,,

The downstream issue is a matter of some concern. In the first instance, I'd disconnect everything from the phone line and run a test from the test port behind the faceplate, if that is the type of socket fitted.

Image of test socket.

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet on FTTC since 28/05/2014 and loving it... I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User Wagstaff
(experienced) Thu 09-Mar-17 21:55:25
Print Post

[re: Jaggies] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, Brian. I've done as you suggested: plugged the Plusnet modem directly into the port on the master socket therefore bypassing any possible interference from internal factors and still the download speed hasn't significantly improved.
My friend tells me that Plusnet have been contacted about the speed issues and things improve for a while and then revert back to an unacceptable normal. She also says that they wanted to charge her for a site visit, but I think I have proved today that this is not required.
It is likely that Plusnet are about to lose a customer.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Mar-17 00:23:20
Print Post

As well as what Andrew said about the bell needing to be on a filter, (but with the ring wire attached), where is it wired to?

The extension wired from outside, so before the master, is almost certainly star wired, giving a bridge tap. That is bad for DSL. The drop wire running parallel to the power cable is also bad news, even though only for a short distance. The closer together they are the worse it is. Several inches apart would probably be safe, depending on what sort of power cable it is.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64952/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Wagstaff
(experienced) Fri 10-Mar-17 00:45:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Bob. The bell wire is attached to the master socket.
Sorry for the confusion, but it is the external extension wire that is the wire running parallel to the power cable (15amp) and only for a foot. The drop wire is flapping around in the breeze!!
By the way, did the data rate information give you any indication of what is wrong?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Mar-17 11:58:21
Print Post

Yes, the high target margins are costing you lots of downstream speed.

High margins are usually down to the systems needing them to make the line stable, rather than spending 15 minutes disconnected every hour.

Errors due to the ringer, extension etc are expected.

On the drop wire flapping, mine does that for 40 feet across a road, and so long as the steel support is terminated to take the weight it is no issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to