User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Mar-17 11:39:01
Print Post

The Russians Again

[link to this post]

Looks like voting has been interfered with again Lol.
https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband/survey/20...
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Mar-17 12:12:22
Print Post

Re: The Russians Again

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I have never seen a survey rating customer support that first asks "have you had to contact support in the last year" and only then ask for a rating from those who have.

It's all too easy to rate support as good when you haven't had cause to phone, chat, email or otherwise raise a ticket.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 12:13:04
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Virgin Media was far and away the quickest ISP for downloading, with an average speed of 65.78Mb/s, almost twice as quick as the runner-up Vodafone, which achieved an average of 35.14Mb/s. However, it is worth noting that upload speed was a different story, with Plusnet taking the top spot with 7.14Mb/s while Virgin lagged behind with 5.16Mb/s.
Verreeee interesting. Given their 40Mbps product has been only 2Mpbs upstream for a long time, and they must still have a large number of ADSLx customers.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 12:38:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7650-uk-broadband...

We get a median upload of 1 Mbps and mean of 3.8 Mbps for February once you combine all the products.

So looks as if a disproportionate number of Fibre Extra users voted, or their tester has issues. This is always a danger with providers that have a referral scheme, i.e. top referrers make sure their team does well.

Would be interesting to see the voting data, having done the ISPA testing for some years you get well used to spotting what are unusual patterns and excluding them in the category that has now been dropped where the 'public' could vote.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 13:33:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

They may only be looking at FTTC of course, but I didn't see any statement to that effect. I also forgot that Plusnet probably still has a high number on the 40/20 product that could cause high distortion.

However, as earlier, that particular Genie result looks very suspect.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 30-Mar-17 14:40:31
Print Post

smile

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Mar-17 14:47:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I also forgot that Plusnet probably still has a high number on the 40/20 product that could cause high distortion.

They should all have been migrated to 55/10.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 66999/19999 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 14:57:32
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

This pattern repeats each month with a small variation

50% below 1.03 Mbps upload
73% below 1.99 Mbps upload
85% below 9.28 Mbps upload

13% with download speeds above 38 Mbps
7% with download speeds above 51.48 Mbps

Can see a proportion are on 55/10 but the 38/2 product is pretty popular still

Of course it may be they fell into the trap of letting one or two users skew the results, i.e. we see a small number doing LOTS of tests each month. Its enough that given someone paying for the time could engineer our own version of SamKnows testing as we have enough locations with multiple tests to do the same type of analysis

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 16:49:25
Print Post

That's true Kevin. Similar effect though, to counter some of the 40/2s. But what happened to the ADSLx is still a question.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 16:49:25
Print Post

Re: The Russians Again *DELETED* (Duplicate)

Post deleted by RobertoS

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-Mar-17 16:50:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to