User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User karim31
(committed) Fri 31-Mar-17 17:51:40
Print Post

Plusnet total betrayal

[link to this post]

I Joined Plusnet almost 4 years ago FTTC 76Mb up- 20Mb Down) and after my initial contract ended I didn't bother to renew it assuming that I'll continue to receive the same service but I found out that they demoted my product to 38Mb-40Mb down and only 1Mb-2Mb up without even bothering to tell me, I almost never log onto their website and to my surprise I only found out when I saw my product detail when I clicked on change my product!
So I contacted them and the explanation I was given was is that there was some small print in the contract that allowed them to do that when the initial 18 month contract ends and they assumed I was happy with the products.....something like that?
So while talking to one of their staff I did a quick search online and found out that Plusnet are offering new customers a 38Mb-40Mb service with phone for 25 pounds and a 12 months contract,so I asked them if could take up that offer and after some negotiation they said that I can only have that deal if I signed on for an 18 months contract.
I now feel very betrayed for demoting my product without telling me while charging me the full initial amount.
Plusnet refuses to even treat me at the same level as a new customer when they should be considering giving us incentives to remain with them....anyway it's.their loss, I've seen few attractive Quidco offers and I'll be migrating to a new ISP.
My advice to all is to always either renew a contract with Plusnet or find yourselves a better deal elsewhere because apparently Plusnet can change your product without you hearing about it and for them customer loyalty means very little.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Mar-17 21:32:15
Print Post

Re: Plusnet total betrayal

[re: karim31] [link to this post]

Never heard of this clause in the PlusNet contracts, or ever encountered someone where this has happened.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Mar-17 21:47:21
Print Post

Almost all providers will have exclusive pricing for new customers, which is almost always cheaper than the standard price. When the contract term ends, the price will rise to the higher standard price. To get a lower price again you need to negotiate and enter a new contract. This is all standard... Hence yes it pays to switch providers oftentimes.

Regarding speed, I am not sure what happened here but I am aware PN now offer 2Mbps upload rather than 10 for new customers.

Definitely take a good look around for some deals.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IanBB
(committed) Fri 31-Mar-17 21:59:47
Print Post

Did you do any speed tests to confirm what speeds you were actually getting?

There was a member on the Plusnet forum recently complaining about the same thing and it was only the package details in the member centre which were incorrect, synch speed and speed tests proved he wasn't on the lower package.
Standard User legume
(experienced) Fri 31-Mar-17 23:54:14
Print Post

Hmm, also not seen that one on the Plusnet forums - maybe post on there.

Will be watching my connection like a hawk (well I do anyway), as my 80/20 contract expired ages ago.
Standard User legume
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 00:04:36
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

Another thought - what speed did you used to get?

If you synced lower than 40 maybe that's why - though they still shouldn't have just done it without telling you as they don't do 40/10 anymore which would likely cost you upload.
Standard User karim31
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 11:30:03
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

IanBB
you're absolutely correct I managed to do a speed test after some flash problems and the speeds are consistent with 76Mb, So It seems that product description has changed but the actual bandwidth hasn't ? I wonder why Plusnet staff didn't explain that to me and give me instead all that talk about "it says in the contract" ?
the change product page clearly says
"Your Current Product Speed
Current product:
38Mb - 40Mb
The speeds above are based on the details we have on your account and your product selection. Account details
"
: ....
None the less the reason I found out about this is because I looking if I could change the product after seeing the prices have dropped but the change product page didn't allow for any other product options.
The price I'm paying now is 37.98 for broadband and phone and I was hopping for a better option with 12 months contract but sadly that seems to be only available for new users.
Standard User karim31
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 11:43:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

@Mr Saffron
Neither have I,...All I can say is that this confusion was brought about by changing the product description (either intentionally or by accident)?....and the member of staff I spoke to didn't explain or didn't know that the actual bandwidth wasn't affected.
As for changing the product I still feel that loyal users who are no longer under contract should be given similar terms to new users to encourage them to stay otherwise users will be jumping from one ISP to the other.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 11:51:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by karim31:
My advice to all is to always either renew a contract with Plusnet or find yourselves a better deal elsewhere because apparently Plusnet can change your product without you hearing about it and for them customer loyalty means very little.

Excellent advice which one should apply to EVERY renewal, be it ISP, insurance, or savings account. But customer loyalty means a very great deal to all suppliers -- it's their big opportunity to hit their customers with hefty increases and hope they won't notice. Elderly people who have known BT nee GPO as lifetime suppliers are particularly lucrative.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 13:07:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Never heard of this clause in the PlusNet contracts, or ever encountered someone where this has happened.

Well it happened to the OP, and many ISP's will work their way into getting you what you want, provided you do what they want, and it's either 12 or 18 months in return.

It's sly IMO
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to