User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User karim31
(committed) Fri 31-Mar-17 17:51:40
Print Post

Plusnet total betrayal

[link to this post]

I Joined Plusnet almost 4 years ago FTTC 76Mb up- 20Mb Down) and after my initial contract ended I didn't bother to renew it assuming that I'll continue to receive the same service but I found out that they demoted my product to 38Mb-40Mb down and only 1Mb-2Mb up without even bothering to tell me, I almost never log onto their website and to my surprise I only found out when I saw my product detail when I clicked on change my product!
So I contacted them and the explanation I was given was is that there was some small print in the contract that allowed them to do that when the initial 18 month contract ends and they assumed I was happy with the products.....something like that?
So while talking to one of their staff I did a quick search online and found out that Plusnet are offering new customers a 38Mb-40Mb service with phone for 25 pounds and a 12 months contract,so I asked them if could take up that offer and after some negotiation they said that I can only have that deal if I signed on for an 18 months contract.
I now feel very betrayed for demoting my product without telling me while charging me the full initial amount.
Plusnet refuses to even treat me at the same level as a new customer when they should be considering giving us incentives to remain with them....anyway it's.their loss, I've seen few attractive Quidco offers and I'll be migrating to a new ISP.
My advice to all is to always either renew a contract with Plusnet or find yourselves a better deal elsewhere because apparently Plusnet can change your product without you hearing about it and for them customer loyalty means very little.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Mar-17 21:32:15
Print Post

Re: Plusnet total betrayal

[re: karim31] [link to this post]

Never heard of this clause in the PlusNet contracts, or ever encountered someone where this has happened.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Mar-17 21:47:21
Print Post

Almost all providers will have exclusive pricing for new customers, which is almost always cheaper than the standard price. When the contract term ends, the price will rise to the higher standard price. To get a lower price again you need to negotiate and enter a new contract. This is all standard... Hence yes it pays to switch providers oftentimes.

Regarding speed, I am not sure what happened here but I am aware PN now offer 2Mbps upload rather than 10 for new customers.

Definitely take a good look around for some deals.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IanBB
(committed) Fri 31-Mar-17 21:59:47
Print Post

Did you do any speed tests to confirm what speeds you were actually getting?

There was a member on the Plusnet forum recently complaining about the same thing and it was only the package details in the member centre which were incorrect, synch speed and speed tests proved he wasn't on the lower package.
Standard User legume
(experienced) Fri 31-Mar-17 23:54:14
Print Post

Hmm, also not seen that one on the Plusnet forums - maybe post on there.

Will be watching my connection like a hawk (well I do anyway), as my 80/20 contract expired ages ago.
Standard User legume
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 00:04:36
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

Another thought - what speed did you used to get?

If you synced lower than 40 maybe that's why - though they still shouldn't have just done it without telling you as they don't do 40/10 anymore which would likely cost you upload.
Standard User karim31
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 11:30:03
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

IanBB
you're absolutely correct I managed to do a speed test after some flash problems and the speeds are consistent with 76Mb, So It seems that product description has changed but the actual bandwidth hasn't ? I wonder why Plusnet staff didn't explain that to me and give me instead all that talk about "it says in the contract" ?
the change product page clearly says
"Your Current Product Speed
Current product:
38Mb - 40Mb
The speeds above are based on the details we have on your account and your product selection. Account details
"
: ....
None the less the reason I found out about this is because I looking if I could change the product after seeing the prices have dropped but the change product page didn't allow for any other product options.
The price I'm paying now is 37.98 for broadband and phone and I was hopping for a better option with 12 months contract but sadly that seems to be only available for new users.
Standard User karim31
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 11:43:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

@Mr Saffron
Neither have I,...All I can say is that this confusion was brought about by changing the product description (either intentionally or by accident)?....and the member of staff I spoke to didn't explain or didn't know that the actual bandwidth wasn't affected.
As for changing the product I still feel that loyal users who are no longer under contract should be given similar terms to new users to encourage them to stay otherwise users will be jumping from one ISP to the other.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 11:51:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by karim31:
My advice to all is to always either renew a contract with Plusnet or find yourselves a better deal elsewhere because apparently Plusnet can change your product without you hearing about it and for them customer loyalty means very little.

Excellent advice which one should apply to EVERY renewal, be it ISP, insurance, or savings account. But customer loyalty means a very great deal to all suppliers -- it's their big opportunity to hit their customers with hefty increases and hope they won't notice. Elderly people who have known BT nee GPO as lifetime suppliers are particularly lucrative.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 13:07:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Never heard of this clause in the PlusNet contracts, or ever encountered someone where this has happened.

Well it happened to the OP, and many ISP's will work their way into getting you what you want, provided you do what they want, and it's either 12 or 18 months in return.

It's sly IMO
Standard User karim31
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 15:08:38
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Agreed, it's now common practice to all ISPs not just Plusnet, those of us who are older remember a different code of practice but sadly things have changed and globalisation meant new arrivals with fierce competition which resulted in change of customer care and that also demands a change in customer attitude to protect our own interests
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Apr-17 15:10:37
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:

Well it happened to the OP, and many ISP's will work their way into getting you what you want, provided you do what they want, and it's either 12 or 18 months in return.

It's sly IMO

Yes indeed and in my case the COT offered a renewal/retention deal for a 24 month period which I didn't take up, they wouldn't budge on the cost per month but did eventually reduce the contract period to 12 months after some haggling.

plusnet user
Standard User karim31
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 15:30:58
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

I've checked the speed again and I can confirm again that the speed hasn't changed
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

You could check your "Product change page" and then click on *change product* just to see if they still are describing your product correctly on the right side of the page, if yours is described correctly then mine must be just a mistake they've made
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 15:34:53
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:

It's sly IMO

What exactly happened to the OP?

If you care to read the full thread you will see that the only thing which occurred was the wrong package details were displayed in the member centre.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Apr-17 16:16:03
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IanBB:
If you care to read the full thread you will see that the only thing which occurred was the wrong package details were displayed in the member centre.

That and being given a load of bull by the support rep.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 66999/19999 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Sat 01-Apr-17 16:52:16
Print Post

Hi there,

I'm glad your speeds haven't changed, this is simply a display issue on the holder variant of the 80/20 package (Plusnet Unlimited Fibre) where the estimate speeds are shown incorrectly. It's been flagged up internally but I can't provide any timescales for it to be resolved I'm afraid.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Sat 01-Apr-17 18:01:26
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

The CSA going completely off-track certainly didn't help.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Apr-17 19:20:19
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

It's been flagged up internally but I can't provide any timescales for it to be resolved I'm afraid.

Glad (not) to see some things haven't changed tongue smile

Edit
Is that really you Chris or someone else using the account as beginning to think you had moved on? grin

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Sat 01-Apr-17 19:23:45)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 21:15:15
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Never mind, They will still "do you proud' if the person being done has no sense of self worth, and lots of shame
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Apr-17 15:49:31
Print Post

You didn't mention that your actual speeds hadn't changed.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User sheephouse
(newbie) Wed 05-Apr-17 16:30:49
Print Post

It can be done - around a year ago I asked for phone and broadband to be transferred to a different address, and asked whether I could have the new customer deal (free broadband!). I couldn't, so I cancelled the broadband but arranged for the phone to be transferred, with the intention of getting a new provider at the new address.
"That's done" I was told, then "as you don't have broadband now, you're now a new customer, so you can have the deal if you want".
So I did get the 18 month free broadband deal smile Had to pay a small cancellation fee, but that was all.
ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Thu 06-Apr-17 12:14:10
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

It's definitely Chris... smile

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Apr-17 13:03:03
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

Good to see you again Kelly. If it is you wink.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Adagio
(committed) Mon 10-Apr-17 12:17:34
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
You didn't mention that your actual speeds hadn't changed.

See OP's second post. I have just had same experience, was checking to see if better deal and my current product description is the same as that of the OP. Shock, horror! However actual speeds are unchanged.

David
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Apr-17 16:12:08
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Agreed - it does seem that customer loyalty is rarely rewarded with reductions.

However, I see the "race to the bottom" as being largely a matter of survival - if Sky, BT, TT and EE are going to have significantly lower fees then they can take a chunk of market share.

I don't know what the numbers are these days and I do (infrequently) have a bit of buffering on my (~10 Mbps) connection, but I guess that PN is only able to offer everyone reasonably low prices (I guess the trial service at near £40 must have been a while ago - when FTTC wasn't available at all where I live now, so not sure what charges with other ISPs were back then). because of the numbers, and those loyal customers sticking with them. I think it would be nice if PN were to offer some sort of "loyalty gift" every year, and maybe reduce the price cuts a little - so if they sent me a tenner every year as a 'Thank you' for staying, it would be something they could probably afford, if the hundreds they are allowing in reductions was slightly reduced.

I sometimes feel like it's a kick in the head for loyal customers when I see cashback and low fees on offer, but at the same time, I'm not really wanting to switch my line over to PN, so cannot expect exactly the same sort of pricing deal yet.

I will be looking for a second provider and maybe even a third (for my office) and PN might not be part of the picture for either of those...

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...

Edited by ultra (Thu 13-Apr-17 16:25:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to