User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craggs
(committed) Wed 28-Jun-17 15:52:41
Print Post

Constant dropouts,router advice

[link to this post]

Hi ,

I'm currently trying to sort my elderly mums broadband out, she's really ill and I've got to tomorrow, then I'm back 300 miles away., not back until 21st. So would love to get it working.

She's had plusnet for around 7+ years,, and not had many issues,her router is 2year and 4 month old.,it's a technicolour 582n

She moved house and had to sign to 18 months contract, 10 month ago., she can only get 8mb ADSL max as she out in the sticks.

Anyway 10 days ago the net went completely out for 1 whole day., and wouldn't connect.

She rang plusnet and they said everything is fine, and upt the noise from 9db to 12db

The line is dropping about every 5-60 mins,,red internet light going red.it reconnects but wants it's in a roll it can drop 3-6 times an hour,it's unusable

I've got the router in the test only socket, with a new filter, and phone unplugged, not helped.

There is no noise on the line I can hear, on 17070 and ran routerstat lite for a day,noise is all perfect.

I've reset router a few times.

Plusnet said it's router and want £56.99 for one..they said to just buy one of Amazon a better one.

I've seen loads of plusnet routers on eBay, will one just work, or are the UN/PW hard coded into them? they are only like £15 delivered for the same.

In the router event logs is just pop link up, then down

Any suggestions, please,plusnet have just wiped hands of it.

sky llu
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Jun-17 16:23:54
Print Post

Re: Constant dropouts,router advice

[re: craggs] [link to this post]

it may be a very short sharp noise spike and causes a resync before router stats spots the problem and logs it.

The PlusNet hardware grabs the username and password when hardware is first plugged in via a mechanism called tr-069. If buying second hardware best always to reset to factory defaults anyway.

It may be the plusnet hardware just does not like the line, and we presume you've tried a different microfilter (they can fail over time) and a different lead. When ebay is swamped with hardware it usually means people off loading stuff that is end of life, or maybe not working brilliantly so people have sourced their own better hardware.

Switching to newer plusnet hardware may or may not help, but might be better to consider different hardware, or if not happy with the ISP to jump ship to elsewhere and get their new 'free' hardware.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User craggs
(committed) Wed 28-Jun-17 16:42:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
it may be a very short sharp noise spike and causes a resync before router stats spots the problem and logs it.

The PlusNet hardware grabs the username and password when hardware is first plugged in via a mechanism called tr-069. If buying second hardware best always to reset to factory defaults anyway.

It may be the plusnet hardware just does not like the line, and we presume you've tried a different microfilter (they can fail over time) and a different lead. When ebay is swamped with hardware it usually means people off loading stuff that is end of life, or maybe not working brilliantly so people have sourced their own better hardware.

Switching to newer plusnet hardware may or may not help, but might be better to consider different hardware, or if not happy with the ISP to jump ship to elsewhere and get their new 'free' hardware.

Hi

Yes i've changed the filter and tried a new lead.

She is actually 5 month into an 18 month contract,,shes a little confused,so I have just logged into her account. she moved here 18 months ago,not signed..she must of had a house move,and re contracted which I didn't know about .really sorry about that,shes very seriously ill

I would only buy a brand new sealed plusnet router of ebay.

The connection since being here has been solid.Everytime I come its had loads of uptime.I always check for her.

any other hardware you can recommend upto £40-50 modem router? I would have to come and set this up I know as she will struggle.

Id love her to jump ship but only bt/plusnet here and now sky fibre..which would be cheaper,she pays loads on this old adsl max product.and its so slow.

BTW I think you could be correct about R/stats maybe it is a tiny spike.

I will post up the log if I can do

sky llu

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Jun-17 16:48:51
Print Post

If she is in contract and plusnet supplied a new router as part of this contract they have a duty to replace the existing router free of charge.

If I am honest I have never heard of an ISP not replacing a router for free during the contract term.
Standard User craggs
(committed) Wed 28-Jun-17 17:47:08
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

When she resigned they never supplied a new router, they said use the old one.

Which was already 22 month old.

They said it's out of 12 month warranty and she has to buy one.

I wish I'd of known they signed her up 5 months ago as I would of told her to negotiate a new router as part of the deal.I guess they new this.

They said it's policy now not to replace a router after 12 months.

I'm really disappointed with plusnet to be honest.

sky llu
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Jun-17 22:22:18
Print Post

If Sky fibre is available then so should BT and PlusNet fibre too, and if speed estimates are good then that's a good way of getting off of the nasty Max product.

The contract is a sticking point, and comes down to interpretation of consumer law, i.e. you have an ongoing subscription that would be rendered in operable if the hardware breaks...and spending out for what might not actually fix anything would not be good.

Could give them an ultimatum to fix the service or contract voided, and that might trigger them to send out a router to see if it helps. I'd settle myself on something like send out the router for free and if it does not fix things I'd return and if it fixes things meet them half way e.g. pay half price of new router and ensure no changes in contract term.

The older 2Wire (2700 I think) used to work really well on ADSL lines, but not keeping pace with that side of things these days. The Thomson kit used to be good, but feel it has gone down hill in the last couple of years.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User craggs
(committed) Thu 29-Jun-17 16:01:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If Sky fibre is available then so should BT and PlusNet fibre too, and if speed estimates are good then that's a good way of getting off of the nasty Max product.

The contract is a sticking point, and comes down to interpretation of consumer law, i.e. you have an ongoing subscription that would be rendered in operable if the hardware breaks...and spending out for what might not actually fix anything would not be good.

Could give them an ultimatum to fix the service or contract voided, and that might trigger them to send out a router to see if it helps. I'd settle myself on something like send out the router for free and if it does not fix things I'd return and if it fixes things meet them half way e.g. pay half price of new router and ensure no changes in contract term.

The older 2Wire (2700 I think) used to work really well on ADSL lines, but not keeping pace with that side of things these days. The Thomson kit used to be good, but feel it has gone down hill in the last couple of years.

Thank you for being helpful,I have had to go back home today and unfortunately the connection is dreadful ,plusnet are not really helping.
I'm going to try contact them via email and suggest what you have wrote.Your'e correct in that fibre is available with plusnet & BT..plusnet.
I tried to get her on it a while back but plusnet want a lot for it,assume due to the area she lives in.

I am with sky,and whilst I am not a fan of any of the big ISP,,my router has gone faulty twice,out of contract and after owning the kit for nearly 2 years,they have just been happy to send one out.

Plusnet cannot be sure it is the router,they sad nothing is wrong with the line ,and a £130ish charge to send an engineer.

When her contract is up,i'm moving her away form them,shes been a loyal customer to them,that doesn't seem to be paying of.

Ill keep this thread updated.

kind regrds

sky llu
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Jun-17 16:42:06
Print Post

Just call them up, generally speaking they will issue a replacement for free if you agree to another recontract ie renew for another 18 months. If you have a line fault that will follow you to a new ISP anyway, so might as well resolve it with PN.
Standard User craggs
(committed) Sun 23-Jul-17 01:49:01
Print Post

Thought I would update you on this thread.

So plusnet,, not playing ball, wrong loan router,send without buying.so I bought a brand new one of eBay,,and also checked with an old router I have,,and guess what it's still dropping.!

So plusnet said it was the router and it isn't by the looks of it.

So what to do now.,call them out when no noise on line, they keep warning about a £130ish bill..to be honest I'm out my mind,my mum might not have a long time,she's very ,very ill,and she can't watch now TV,Netflix,iPlayer etc,it's just something I'm having trouble feeling with,as I'm busy away from mum.

Any get out clauses,tried the loan router thing,but no go.got to buy.

It's dropping now about every 6-25mins,,,snr been raised,still no good
It's about 6 odd wks doing this.

sky llu
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Jul-17 03:29:16
Print Post

Plusnet SHOULD replaced it with free of charge Hub One Router and get it upgrade to FTTC with new contract for better speed on Unlimited Fibre (40Mb)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to