User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Aug-17 15:15:30
Print Post

stuck profile?

[link to this post]

So I have a Huawei HG612 modem, and an ASUS router.

My stats for the modem are:
x                               Downstream      Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):  	21.4		0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):	Not monitored		
Connection speed (kbps):	64142		9397
SNR margin (dB):        	3.1		6.2
Power (dBm):            	12.9		6.3
Interleave depth:       	8		1
INP:                    	51.00		0
G.INP:                  	Enabled		Not enabled

However when I do a BT wholesale test, my profile is 58.71 Mbps
Is this normal? I've had this sync about a month now.
Should I call Plusnet?

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 28/Jul/17: 64,899/9,065 - G.INP & 3.3 dB SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 06-Aug-17 15:16:58)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Aug-17 16:36:14
Print Post

Re: stuck profile?

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes raise this via here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/bd-p/F...

Because the plusnet forum staff reply & act much quicker than phoning up.

Also u need to sign in member account to check the current line speed set by Plusnet to see if it matched BT IP Profile below:

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer...

Edited by adslmax (Sun 06-Aug-17 16:38:45)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Aug-17 17:04:41
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Thanks, will post on forum.

From the control panel

Estimated line speed:
    There's no speed estimate currently held on your account. 
Current line speed:
    59.4 Mb

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 28/Jul/17: 64,899/9,065 - G.INP & 3.3 dB SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 06-Aug-17 17:04:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Aug-17 17:13:45
Print Post

Your PN IP Profile is higher than BT IP Profile, so there is nothing PN could do about it. Are you experience slow speed from wifi? or via ethernet cable to pc from router?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Aug-17 17:15:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Your PN IP Profile is higher than BT IP Profile, so there is nothing PN could do about it. Are you experience slow speed from wifi? or via ethernet cable to pc from router?

via ethernet I'm getting bettween 54 and 57. I would have thought 60 or 61 would make sense for a 64meg sync?

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Aug-17 17:20:36
Print Post

Only if the BT IP Profile show as of 60 to 61Mb then PN will act. Don't think it stuck profile at this stage.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Aug-17 18:07:39
Print Post

Okay, I may be out of luck then. I'll see if anyone replies on the PN Community. Thanks.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Aug-17 22:25:04
Print Post

Didn't they say a while ago that the Plusnet line speed was now deprecated and may not be updated?

Re the problem itself, I think you may be suffering from the same issue as myself on AA. I have encountered it in two different circumstances. I just haven't the energy at the moment to tackle AA support, as for both occurrences I've received a script-monkey response on my first report of it.

Not what one expects from them.

The first occasion was when my line was banded. The connection speed that BT Wholesale reported to AA Radius server was considerably below the sync my modem showed. This was the case with five different modems. The IP Profile was based on this low figure.

Once the banding was removed the problem went away. IP Profile reverted to 0.9669 of sync, as expected with G.INP active.

I had a new router in play, and after a while I went through the reduction to a 5dB, then 4dB then 3db target SNR Margin, with corresponding higher sync's.

As soon as the target SNRM dropped from 6dB the problem (or should I sat "the effect") recurred. I went from the IP Profile expected from the sync to one more like 0.94 of sync.

Result - throughput is not much different on 71.3Mbps connection from what it was on 63Mbps or whatever it was at 6dB.

In my case at least, something is wrong between Openreach and the line speed that BT Wholesale are seeing when the line is not on "normal/default" Openreach settings.

I got fed up with AA when the banding was in place, but it wasn't really worth a fight until that was removed. Since my SNRM started being reduced I have contacted them once and got a "Can we have a screen-shot of the router GUI stats?" when my ticket contained a full xdslctl info --stats listing frown, and "Have you got another router you can try?" despite in the same ticket saying this had happened before using 5 different modems/routers when the banding was in place.

I am close to being wide awake enough and with nothing more important to deal with, so may be getting onto them again soon. But if I'm right about this mis-reporting of the sync soemewhere in the Openreach >> BT Wholesale >> IP Profile clac and ISP Radius report it isn't going to be fun frown.

Good luck with Plusnet if you have the same problem. Ask them what BTW are passing them re the connection speed! I bet it's around 60720Kbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 06-Aug-17 22:33:38)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Aug-17 22:44:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks - sounds like Openreach / BTw bug then. Need a non BTW-GEA customer to report the same thing.

I don't really have much time to do any complaining on this one, so will probably just live with it. Good luck if you get AA to resolve it !

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Aug-17 23:02:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Thanks - sounds like Openreach / BTw bug then. Need a non BTW-GEA customer to report the same thing.

I don't really have much time to do any complaining on this one, so will probably just live with it. Good luck if you get AA to resolve it !
That's exactly my position. It isn't use-crippling. There are more important things in life.

But it is very annoying if I'm right about the reporting OR >> BTW. It defeats the whole object of reducing the noise margin to gain sync. Unless it's a BTW policy! That they don't want higher sync's/throughputs.

Now there's a conspiracy theory for you! smile wink

I'll get round to tackling AA soon, I expect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Aug-17 09:07:59
Print Post

Didn't expect to get a script from AA, ever! that is worrying
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Aug-17 09:47:23
Print Post

I have the same problem and it is because the system saw a stack of errors and put my line on a different profile
This is apparently what is supposed to happen
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Aug-17 11:36:06
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

But a different Openreach line profile shouldn't stop the IP Profile (that comes from BT Wholesale not Openreach) being lower than the sync warrants.

The OP's stats suggests a normal OR reduction of target noise margin, not the reverse that you seem to be describing.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Aug-17 12:32:19
Print Post

That is because the line speed as reported by the GEA test is lower than the sync speed
Have a read here https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Can-t-... posts 10 and 11
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Aug-17 22:07:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
I have the same problem and it is because the system saw a stack of errors and put my line on a different profile. This is apparently what is supposed to happen

Oh.

So why reduce SNRM to 3db? leave it at 6db and the sync would be lower and match the data rate, surely? Mine dropped to 3db over about 2 months, modem is normally uptime 90days+ , I rebooted to see if it changed profile.

Thanks - useful link too.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Aug-17 22:58:54
Print Post

It went tlo 3dB quite a while ago and didn't change subsequently even though the errors went haywire
Probably an effect of G.INP
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Aug-17 19:32:00
Print Post

Ive been on G.INP for more than 12m, and I got a 3db profile about 1 or 1.5 months ago.

Interestingly Plusnet have found an Openreach voice issue (Battery Contact) and have raised a fault. That may make things better or worse ! smile

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Aug-17 22:45:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Good luck with Plusnet if you have the same problem. Ask them what BTW are passing them re the connection speed! I bet it's around 60720Kbps.

PN did a GEA test, and it showed:

Downstream speed: 60.7 Mbps
Upstream speed: 9.4 Mbps
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 730.7
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Profile Name:
0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High -
0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

The crucial part I have marked in bold. Apparently an OR engineer has 'done something' today, but I'll find out from PN tomorrow. The Retransmission High part matches what Oldjim has told us. Interesting.

Edited by jchamier (Thu 10-Aug-17 22:46:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Aug-17 23:22:02
Print Post

My 60720 was rather close wink.

The last test on my line was 13 June, with this result:-
BT Test E2E Access Test/DCN:Inconclusive OR test pass. Unable to find the fault.
Down:65.9 (63.6/64.2/69.5) Up:12.8 (12.7/13.0/13.0)
2017-05-31T09:15:00 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
In Sync Pass:GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000 GEA service test completed and no fault found .

Note that my retransmission is "Low". Sync is 71288 as per my sig, noise margin has crept up from around 3dB to 3.2-3.3dB over the last couple of weeks. probably due to people going on holiday.

The upstream of 12.8 is odd, with a 12440 sync. The radius log which I can't go far enough back to see reported it as per my modem.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to