User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Oct-17 06:28:52
Print Post

Plusnet Home Hub One - Wifi light Query

[link to this post]

I recently stopped using WiFi on my PN HH1 in favour of a wired network. I also temporarily disabled WiFi on both 2.4/5Ghz Frequencies, however I noticed another light (Orange) illuminated on the front of the Hub, aswell as the normal all's ok Cylon Blue light.
Initially I thought it was to indicate that I had an ethernet connection, so I ignored it - but it appears to be an illuminated WiFi Symbol, which I thought was a tad odd.

The Plusnet manual I found for the HH1 didn't mention the lights at all, but here under "If you Can't Connect" section:-
https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-gui...

It says:-
Wireless light is orange: You've switched off wireless security for one or both wireless channels Turn on your security Ė in the wireless tab in your Hub Manager at 192.168.1.254

Initially I thought I had missed something and had as the manual states left my Wifi wide open. However, on checking my WiFi settings again, I had correctly just turned WiFi Off for both frequencies.

I was curious if anyone else had come across this, or if I have missed something silly?
Either which way, with the lights set to low brightness, I now have a Blue and an Orange one which are fairly bright!

Edited by Vorlon (Wed 25-Oct-17 06:32:54)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Oct-17 14:08:35
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Home Hub One - Wifi light Query

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

Switch the hubs wifi back, but then just donít use it ?

A bit of suitably coloured tape over said light ?

Standard User Mml
(learned) Thu 26-Oct-17 17:13:05
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

Just fyi, you can update your Hub 1 firmware to OpenWRT, then you'll be able to control all lights as you see fit. I, for instance, have turned all the lights off except the broadband status.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Thu 26-Oct-17 20:43:21
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mml:
you can update your Hub 1 firmware to OpenWRT

@Mml

Does this require soldering? [1]

I have a Hub One they sent me when I got Plusnet TV. It's still in the box.

My Billion Bipac 8800AXL is getting a bit long in the tooth, but generally works well, so using the Hub One with alternative firmware may be a cheap upgrade.

[1] I hope not, but suspect it will do.

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet on FTTC since 28/05/2014 and loving it... I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User Mml
(learned) Fri 27-Oct-17 10:46:55
Print Post

[re: Jaggies] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jaggies:
@Mml

Does this require soldering?

It does, you have to attach three wires to three points on the board - once OpenWRT is installed, they can be removed.
If this sounds daunting to you, just search for "openwrt" on eBay - I just saw one there for £28.
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Mon 30-Oct-17 23:15:56
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

Cheers for that.

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet on FTTC since 28/05/2014 and loving it... I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Nov-17 18:25:28
Print Post

[re: Jaggies] [link to this post]

Thanks Guys, I was just surprised that by turning WiFi off resulted in an orange led lighting up, apparently as a warning.

My network is now Wired, so WiFi is usually used intermittently.

Just waiting for TP link to bring out a WiFi WPA "Krack" firmware fix for my VR900 V1 and then I can dispense with using the PlusNet Hub.
  Print Thread

Jump to