User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Conrad3000
(member) Thu 07-Dec-17 18:09:24
Print Post

Re: Connected but no internet?

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
So that DSL Uptime does not reset to 0?

That's correct.

Are you able to factory reset the device? Do not change a single setting. Leave it connected in for a few weeks and monitor?

I'll try to.

I note a few changes in your stats, e.g. SSID, channel change etc, I would have more comfort if the device was in factory default state. Also to check, have you used the supplied cables, rj11 cable, filters etc - not reused some old stuff from older device? likewise are you NOT using the BT openreach modem, ie device straight into the phone socket?

Yes; the routers plugged in the test socket with no extensions. All the equipment is the original. And I did change the name of the SSID as well as the channels. I had to, to stop the interference.

I note the Hub Zero needs the modem, to confirm you are not using this on the Hub One?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've only got the Hub 1 switched on. How would the Hub 0 somehow use part of the Hub 1?

EDIT: The firmware you have is reported to be fine on chromecast. A known reported bug is the connection stops working if the upload is saturated e.g. Google Drive uploading, Dropbox, utorrent etc. Do you have large uploads from any devices?

Not at all. In fact I did attach a Hitachi TV to the Hub 1 and I've a feeling that caused the 'no internet' issue (well, probably one of the devices anyway).

I'll try to limit only phones, laptops, tablets, and iPads to the router and see how that goes.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Dec-17 18:19:38
Print Post

[re: Conrad3000] [link to this post]

Ok got you on the interference front, if you can give it a Reset, then go in and name the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs differently. Try to only use the 5Ghz wireless on devices (unless the device only supports 2.4ghz).

I would go in and add devices one at a time, giving plenty of time between each one... My hunch is a device is causing you issues. Likely given the known issue, something is saturating your upload (but that's a guess). If you can narrow down the device, we can go from there.

Apologies, I thought you had fibre. Ignore my message re modem.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 07-Dec-17 18:24:51)

Standard User Conrad3000
(member) Thu 07-Dec-17 18:35:51
Print Post

Thanks. And will do what you've mentioned. If there's any issues, I'll post back.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 07-Dec-17 19:13:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
A known reported bug is the connection stops working if the upload is saturated e.g. Google Drive uploading, Dropbox, utorrent etc. Do you have large uploads from any devices?

the latest stats they give show 19MB upload in 30 minutes, so no, upload is not saturated.

edit,
not currently saturated. they should check the upload figures when it slows down again

Edited by ggremlin (Thu 07-Dec-17 19:16:00)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Dec-17 08:28:36
Print Post

I have this sort of thing and have done for a while and it is nothing to do with my on going issue.

for some reason my computer will just disconnect and come up with no internet. I do a fix and it come up can not find gateway.

The strange thing is that everything is different now than when it started, different computer, different router, different cables. it is a strange problem. I thought that maybe it was my anti virus, I have removed that, so we will see if that makes a difference.

A very strange problem indeed.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 10 pro, reluctantly, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Dec-17 11:38:40
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Sounds like a line fault to me. Have you checked the line stats? Have you discussed with your service provider?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 08-Dec-17 11:39:07)

Standard User Conrad3000
(member) Sun 10-Dec-17 17:29:09
Print Post

Just to let you know guys; I've found out what the problem was.

It was the (Hitachi) TV that was causing the issue. As soon as I disconnected it, everything fixed itself.

So it seems certain devices aren't really fully compatible when others *are*. Pretty poor show from the Hub 1 there. I say this because there were no issues with the Hub 0 or the Technicolor before it.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Dec-17 17:36:10
Print Post

So it seems certain devices aren't really fully compatible when others *are*. Pretty poor show from the Hub 1 there. I say this because there were no issues with the Hub 0 or the Technicolor before it.
I personally think given the Hub 1 is the same as the BT Homehub 5A which is used by such a large number of the millions of BT broadband customers, it is very hard to blame the ISPs device here. Certainly Hitachi should not be manufacturing products that do not work with the largest UK ISPs router. In your shoes I would be contacting the store where you got the TV and reporting the device as faulty, sending it for repair, and if that does not fix the issue getting the TV replaced with a device that functions as expected on the WiFi.

To be clear, there are very few reports of this kind of issue on both the PlusNet Hub 1 and/or the HomeHub 5. There were issues with a Google Chromecast due to a firmware update Google pushed through, it should be noted Google resolved this NOT BT or PlusNet and they also apologised.

We had over 30 devices connecting into our Hub 5 on a daily basis without this issue, plus friends, family and guests visiting.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 10-Dec-17 17:38:00)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Dec-17 18:23:25
Print Post

As long as the TV meets the minimum requirements for WIFI connection then there is no leg to stand on, so can't be returned.

I had a NetGear WIFI dongle that worked with XP but not W7. NetGear swore that their new drivers were W7 certified but my version of W7 wouldn't accept that and wouldn't install correctly.

Certain configurations work and some don't.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Dec-17 21:18:54
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

If the television wonít connect to wireless and everything else will, whilst more than one hub has been tried, itís arguably faulty.

I am totally sure the BT homebub meets all standards, itís used by millions of customers. It is certainly not common to see BT customers complaining of this activity. Most likely faulty TV.

Just because it works fine on a single band 2.4ghz router, does not give an indicator of how it will work on a 5Ghz device. We are not comparing apples with oranges and cannot simply assume the tv is fine because it works on a router which only broadcasts 2.4ghz.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 11-Dec-17 21:19:22)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to