User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Jan-18 13:03:27
Print Post

Contract renewal experience

[link to this post]

My 18-month contract ended last month and I missed it so had a big bill this month. TBH I thought it was 24 months until I went back and checked. Anyway I phoned up and spent 10 minutes on hold and 10 minutes talking during which I got a very reasonable offer right at the start, not as good as what I had, which was stupidly low, but better than I was expecting. So I have renewed for a further 18 months and remain a reasonably happy customer.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jan-18 18:25:22
Print Post

Re: Contract renewal experience

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Companies don't seem to want to retain customers these days. You appear to get a better deal as a new customer rather than a loyal one.

The answer seems to be to find a few reasonable ISPs and swap between them when your contract ends.

I'm back with Plusnet for about the fourth time now. Would have stayed with Sky, but Plusnet offered a better deal and no doubt I will sign up with Sky again when my Plusnet contract expires.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Jan-18 18:36:09
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

I agree, I loop around Sky - BT - TalkTalk.

BT usually don't offer anything until you put a migration in elsewhere, then if you call back you get wicked deals. Bit of hassle, as you then have to ring the new ISP and cancel everything, but sometimes they offer you even better than BT and it becomes a bit of a game going back and forth.

Doing this I got BT including line rental on Unlimited Infinity 1 for £25.99 and TV with BT sport for £5.

Nowadays, I'm with Sky, I am unlikely to stick with them at the end either way. Not been impressed this time around at all with anything. I might start looping BT to TalkTalk only!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jan-18 21:06:15
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Sky sent me a letter saying they were sending me a cheque. It was actually cheaper to lose a month and go with Plusnet, but the cheque means I won't lose the month anyway.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Jan-18 01:06:20
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

The deal I got was slightly better than the new customer offer and I didn't have to push for it at all, but I know others haven't been so lucky.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 04-Jan-18 11:48:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Good for you, if you can be bothered with the hassle, but I won't play this "game" with supposedly reputable companies.

I haven't changed in a few years, and that was only for phone, but BT made a better offer as soon as they realised I was serious about migrating. Too late, IMO - if they valued me as a customer, they should have been more proactive about rewarding loyalty in the first place - NOT make it obvious they would sting me for as much as they possibly could until I was halfway out the door, at which point they suddenly found they could do better!

Bartering on holiday, in a street market, might be all part of the fun, but I don't expect to have to do it with the big utilities every year or 18 months. I know it's a forlorn hope, but I expect fair pricing ALL the time, not: "Whoops, you're leaving! We've suddenly realised we could trim your bill!" Should've realised that before, then! mad
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 12:05:56
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Personally I agree it would be good for companies just to advertise a price that everyone gets with no "joining incentives" or "special retention deals". But, as soon as one company offers a deal then they all have to otherwise they can't get new customers. This is common across pretty much every service market and I don't think it is going to change any time soon.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 04-Jan-18 12:20:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Well, that cuts both ways. If one company started making sure it's ALWAYS advantageous to stay "loyal", the others would have to think about doing the same. This game of: "Let's see who blinks first" when it comes to renewal time would end.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 13:08:48
Print Post

I don't think it will ever be "advantageous" to stay loyal - not automatically. What that means is the company must not only be the lowest average price but also always be a lower price than any offers that another company has. Beating a short term offer on a permanent basis is never going to be sustainable. The reason the price goes up for "loyal" customers is because the offer price is not sustainable for the whole customer base but has to be offered to new starters or they wouldn't get any new custom.
Standard User johnclarke12
(newbie) Thu 04-Jan-18 17:29:30
Print Post

All these big companies have retention teams and as mentioned elsewhere in this thread the discounted deals are not sustainable for all users continually however when you threaten to leave you then get passed to a retentions team. Auto renewal is never good for an existing customer; always ask for a deal.

In reply to a post by TLM:
Good for you, if you can be bothered with the hassle, but I won't play this "game" with supposedly reputable companies.

I haven't changed in a few years, and that was only for phone, but BT made a better offer as soon as they realised I was serious about migrating. Too late, IMO - if they valued me as a customer, they should have been more proactive about rewarding loyalty in the first place - NOT make it obvious they would sting me for as much as they possibly could until I was halfway out the door, at which point they suddenly found they could do better!

Bartering on holiday, in a street market, might be all part of the fun, but I don't expect to have to do it with the big utilities every year or 18 months. I know it's a forlorn hope, but I expect fair pricing ALL the time, not: "Whoops, you're leaving! We've suddenly realised we could trim your bill!" Should've realised that before, then! mad
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to