User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Jan-18 13:03:27
Print Post

Contract renewal experience

[link to this post]

My 18-month contract ended last month and I missed it so had a big bill this month. TBH I thought it was 24 months until I went back and checked. Anyway I phoned up and spent 10 minutes on hold and 10 minutes talking during which I got a very reasonable offer right at the start, not as good as what I had, which was stupidly low, but better than I was expecting. So I have renewed for a further 18 months and remain a reasonably happy customer.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jan-18 18:25:22
Print Post

Re: Contract renewal experience

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Companies don't seem to want to retain customers these days. You appear to get a better deal as a new customer rather than a loyal one.

The answer seems to be to find a few reasonable ISPs and swap between them when your contract ends.

I'm back with Plusnet for about the fourth time now. Would have stayed with Sky, but Plusnet offered a better deal and no doubt I will sign up with Sky again when my Plusnet contract expires.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Jan-18 18:36:09
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

I agree, I loop around Sky - BT - TalkTalk.

BT usually don't offer anything until you put a migration in elsewhere, then if you call back you get wicked deals. Bit of hassle, as you then have to ring the new ISP and cancel everything, but sometimes they offer you even better than BT and it becomes a bit of a game going back and forth.

Doing this I got BT including line rental on Unlimited Infinity 1 for £25.99 and TV with BT sport for £5.

Nowadays, I'm with Sky, I am unlikely to stick with them at the end either way. Not been impressed this time around at all with anything. I might start looping BT to TalkTalk only!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jan-18 21:06:15
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Sky sent me a letter saying they were sending me a cheque. It was actually cheaper to lose a month and go with Plusnet, but the cheque means I won't lose the month anyway.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Jan-18 01:06:20
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

The deal I got was slightly better than the new customer offer and I didn't have to push for it at all, but I know others haven't been so lucky.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 04-Jan-18 11:48:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Good for you, if you can be bothered with the hassle, but I won't play this "game" with supposedly reputable companies.

I haven't changed in a few years, and that was only for phone, but BT made a better offer as soon as they realised I was serious about migrating. Too late, IMO - if they valued me as a customer, they should have been more proactive about rewarding loyalty in the first place - NOT make it obvious they would sting me for as much as they possibly could until I was halfway out the door, at which point they suddenly found they could do better!

Bartering on holiday, in a street market, might be all part of the fun, but I don't expect to have to do it with the big utilities every year or 18 months. I know it's a forlorn hope, but I expect fair pricing ALL the time, not: "Whoops, you're leaving! We've suddenly realised we could trim your bill!" Should've realised that before, then! mad
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 12:05:56
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Personally I agree it would be good for companies just to advertise a price that everyone gets with no "joining incentives" or "special retention deals". But, as soon as one company offers a deal then they all have to otherwise they can't get new customers. This is common across pretty much every service market and I don't think it is going to change any time soon.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 04-Jan-18 12:20:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Well, that cuts both ways. If one company started making sure it's ALWAYS advantageous to stay "loyal", the others would have to think about doing the same. This game of: "Let's see who blinks first" when it comes to renewal time would end.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 13:08:48
Print Post

I don't think it will ever be "advantageous" to stay loyal - not automatically. What that means is the company must not only be the lowest average price but also always be a lower price than any offers that another company has. Beating a short term offer on a permanent basis is never going to be sustainable. The reason the price goes up for "loyal" customers is because the offer price is not sustainable for the whole customer base but has to be offered to new starters or they wouldn't get any new custom.
Standard User johnclarke12
(newbie) Thu 04-Jan-18 17:29:30
Print Post

All these big companies have retention teams and as mentioned elsewhere in this thread the discounted deals are not sustainable for all users continually however when you threaten to leave you then get passed to a retentions team. Auto renewal is never good for an existing customer; always ask for a deal.

In reply to a post by TLM:
Good for you, if you can be bothered with the hassle, but I won't play this "game" with supposedly reputable companies.

I haven't changed in a few years, and that was only for phone, but BT made a better offer as soon as they realised I was serious about migrating. Too late, IMO - if they valued me as a customer, they should have been more proactive about rewarding loyalty in the first place - NOT make it obvious they would sting me for as much as they possibly could until I was halfway out the door, at which point they suddenly found they could do better!

Bartering on holiday, in a street market, might be all part of the fun, but I don't expect to have to do it with the big utilities every year or 18 months. I know it's a forlorn hope, but I expect fair pricing ALL the time, not: "Whoops, you're leaving! We've suddenly realised we could trim your bill!" Should've realised that before, then! mad
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Sat 06-Jan-18 14:29:35
Print Post

How generous are the Plusnet retention team? I usually hop from Isp to Isp. I first had Plusnet Fibre in April 2014 then went to TalkTalk then back to Plusnet. I've never contacted the retention department. As soon as I was out of contract I would find the best deal (usually with the help of Quidco) and switch. My current Plusnet contract ends the beginning of May - so I am now looking around at the prices of the main competition. At the moment I could get 38MB fibre with Vodafone for £20 a month for 18 months. So if this is available come May this is where I will probably move. Would this be the type of deal that Plusnet would match?

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Sat 06-Jan-18 14:31:17)

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jan-18 16:41:22
Print Post

[re: Sir_Jasper] [link to this post]

I think they could get pretty close to that or match it. Vodafone's website says £22.50 for new customers and £20 for existing customers (an interesting and welcome development), are you sure you'd get it for £20? I also note that their FTTC is cheaper than their ADSL.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Jan-18 17:07:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:
I think they could get pretty close to that or match it. Vodafone's website says £22.50 for new customers and £20 for existing customers (an interesting and welcome development), are you sure you'd get it for £20?

"Existing customer" in this context means an existing Vodafone mobile phone customer. I'm assuming getting a PAYG SIM, topping up once and sending a text once every three months is enough to qualify.

Oliver.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jan-18 17:11:31
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
"Existing customer" in this context means an existing Vodafone mobile phone customer.

Thanks, I did wonder about that after I posted.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Jan-18 17:12:47
Print Post

I just checked and unfortunately it has to be a contract Vodafone SIM to qualify.

Oliver.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jan-18 17:29:59
Print Post

The pricing varies by exchange. If there are no LLU operators, Plusnet, unlike John Lewis, are very expensive which is why I am now a Vodafone customer using my own, rather than the Vodafone, router.

Michael Chare
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Sat 06-Jan-18 17:31:50
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

The £20 was signing up to Vodafone by clinking through the link on "uSwitch.com" and it was also £20 by going to Vodafone via ".broadbandchoices.co.uk"
When my contract with Plusnet is up my monthly bill will go to £34 its £24 at the moment, I did pay the line rental upfront for a year when I started , so I was paying the equivalent of about £20 a month for the first 12 months of the 18. The monthly charge for 38MB fibre was £5 (£10 off a month for 18 months)

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Sat 06-Jan-18 18:29:48)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-Jan-18 18:07:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sir_Jasper:
How generous are the Plusnet retention team?
Try them. Though if they are like the rest of the "admin" side of Plusnet they won't be working Saturday or Sunday.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Sat 06-Jan-18 18:15:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I will give them ago closer to the end of contract (with about a week to go). Hopefully armed with a Vodafone deal like the one that is available at the moment - it may give me some leverage.
I was just interested in what kind of offers leaving customers have got. And the likelihood of them going as low as £20 a month for 18 months.

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Sat 06-Jan-18 18:19:01)

Standard User ironman12345
(member) Sat 06-Jan-18 19:17:45
Print Post

IMO the contract part is the problem , if that part of the deal was not possible then the companies would try harder to keep the customer.
The point is that if you could leave them on a monthly basis they would have to give the lowest offer possible up front.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-Jan-18 19:17:48
Print Post

It can also depend on the retentions rep you get. They seem to have personal budgets for how many they should retain and how much they can give away to achieve it.

Several people have reported that if not happy with an offer, try again a few hours later and see if you get a better or worse one.

Repeat until you are happy or fed up! But don't miss out on a "happy" one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jan-18 10:25:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Repeat until you are happy or fed up!

I got fed up, the retention price for ADSL never changed from one COT bod to the next and there was no more price matching, I suppose COT deals can vary throughout the year so I guess the month of October 2017 was not one for much discount on ADSL, perhaps the discount is being targeted at FTTC customers.

I migrated to John Lewis broadband and phone (free evening and weekend calls included) which is provided by Plusnet for £20.00 a month and managed to get a small amount of cashback from TCB, OK for a market A exchange (20CN).

John Lewis Broadband
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jan-18 17:14:14
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I was very happy with my deal which was an extension of my present offer for another 12 months and that was one I screwed out of them against Southern Electric when they were offering silly numbers
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Jan-18 11:01:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:
My 18-month contract ended last month and I missed it so had a big bill this month. TBH I thought it was 24 months until I went back and checked. Anyway I phoned up and spent 10 minutes on hold and 10 minutes talking during which I got a very reasonable offer right at the start, not as good as what I had, which was stupidly low, but better than I was expecting. So I have renewed for a further 18 months and remain a reasonably happy customer.

My renewal with Plusnet was ok, not great, but looking around I would not have saved much more if I went elsewhere. Got a nice router off them mind you, better than their normal one.

Problem is who do you go to? I would not touch Talk Talk with a barge pole, while Plusnet is owned by BT, they are not BT and the service is better than what I got from BT and i can at least understand what they say at the call centre. Sky? not so sure, their routers are a bit naff and their customer service is not much better than BT. So plusnet it is.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 10 pro, reluctantly, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Jan-18 11:04:47
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
The pricing varies by exchange. If there are no LLU operators, Plusnet, unlike John Lewis, are very expensive which is why I am now a Vodafone customer using my own, rather than the Vodafone, router.

How did you manage to use your own router? Vodafone is not very forward in giving out the info that is required to use a different router by all accounts.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 10 pro, reluctantly, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jan-18 11:17:17
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Problem is who do you go to? I would not touch Talk Talk with a barge pole, while Plusnet is owned by BT, they are not BT and the service is better than what I got from BT and i can at least understand what they say at the call centre. Sky? not so sure, their routers are a bit naff and their customer service is not much better than BT. So plusnet it is.

My thoughts exactly. The viable alternatives would costs a lot more than Plusnet, so why would I move?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 75433/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jan-18 16:25:21
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

I managed to get a price match deal in 2015 using the ISP Origin where I payed the Plusnet LRS and didn't have to pay for the PN ADSL BB with a contract of 12 months. smile

The following year the COT said it couldn't be repeated and the best offer was LRS plus fifty percent off ADSL BB for a market A exchange i.e. not in a PN low cost area.

John Lewis Broadband
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Wed 10-Jan-18 19:06:58
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Vodafone is not very forward in giving out the info that is required

They have relaxed a little on that front...as long as you are using (or say you are using) an openreach MCT approved router uno MCT list

Ian
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Wed 10-Jan-18 19:15:23
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Hmmm...

No Belkin routers on that list.

What to do? What to do?

Nah, sod it. I'll keep using it...

B-)

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet on FTTC since 28/05/2014 and loving it... I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Jan-18 19:40:07
Print Post

[re: Jaggies] [link to this post]

Use a mct approved modem in front of the Belkin?

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
18 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Wed 10-Jan-18 21:37:40
Print Post

[re: Jaggies] [link to this post]

Just say you ARE using an approved modem, they haven't got a clue how to check it even if they are able to!.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Wed 10-Jan-18 21:39:21)

Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Wed 10-Jan-18 23:50:46
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I *could* do that...

...if I gave a monkey's wink

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet on FTTC since 28/05/2014 and loving it... I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Jan-18 17:09:51
Print Post

I've just renewed my PN package with exactly the same as I had.

All in - Ive managed to get it for under £40.

Thats an 18 month contract, with:-

80/20 Fttc broadband
Anytime calls
Line Rental
Caller dispay

After looking around, I was tempted with BT's intermediate speed of 55Mbps and their "January Sale" products. But after speaking to PlusNet a couple of times, their pricing fitted the bill.

Edited by Vorlon (Sun 14-Jan-18 17:11:25)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to