User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Mar-18 11:31:48
Print Post

Re: Merging of BT brands?

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

If you harvest enough databases and correlate the information we all leak about our location you can probably be very good.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-18 12:41:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

the information we all leak about our location

So right, Mr Saffron. My IP geolocation is normally 200 to 500 miles out, and I like it that way. I turn off all Google spying options as the 'reminders' pester me every few days, and I keep my email addy to personal contacts. However, one of my Gmail disposable accounts demanded authentication via text to mobile phone. I'd thought of this too and keep an old Nokia with £1 throwaway SIM for such odd jobs. The text came in, gmail opened swiftly, within a few minutes my location changed to my post town a few miles away, and later that day I received an ad from a company in that town. I have to hand it to Google, but it's scary.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Mar-18 22:42:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you harvest enough databases and correlate the information we all leak about our location you can probably be very good.

Absolutely and I was amazed back then of Maxmind's accuracy compared to the general competition.

Edited by Vorlon (Sun 11-Mar-18 22:43:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Mar-18 09:39:08
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

GDPR and the need for people to confirm remaining on mailing lists may actually help some firms track people.

Since you are giving them an update on your browser, IP etc in addition to saying yes I want to still receive email.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to