User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 11:40:41
Print Post

Merging of BT brands?

[link to this post]

Someone elsewhere posted a link to this BT page

Were bringing together our BT, EE and Plusnet brands to create the UKs largest provider of fixed-voice, broadband and mobile services. Itll take effect from 1 April 2018.

Not heard anything previously, have I missed something? Any comments or inside knowledge?

"The problem with stuff that is meant to be idiotproof is that it immediately stimulates the development of new and improved idiots"
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Feb-18 11:47:15
Print Post

Re: Merging of BT brands?

[re: bluetroll] [link to this post]

Intriguing. You would have thought they would be telling their customers if something significant is going to change in less than 2 months time.
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Tue 06-Feb-18 12:08:35
Print Post

Maybe BT are getting in their April fools day joke early this year?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Tue 06-Feb-18 12:30:47
Print Post

Nothing new.

It was announced last July (https://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperformance/Quarterly...):

Our new Consumer business will operate our three distinct brands; BT, EE and Plusnet; to leverage our position as the largest and only fully converged player in the market, spanning fixed and mobile networks, consumer products and services as well as content.

Edited by AndyHCZ (Tue 06-Feb-18 12:31:34)

Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Tue 06-Feb-18 12:33:04
Print Post

Though this post suggests they're continuing as three separate brands

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/BT-Me...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Feb-18 12:59:10
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

https://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperformance/Quarterly...

Yeap had just popped back to say nothing new.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 14:18:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks folks for your replies. So it doesn't appear to have any direct effect on the "brands". (Yet?) The statement I quoted I read to suggest a merging of the brands rather a reorganising of the upper echelons of management.

"The problem with stuff that is meant to be idiotproof is that it immediately stimulates the development of new and improved idiots"
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Feb-18 15:04:42
Print Post

It seems that the brands remain.

Interesting that Andy Baker retains the title of "CEO Plusnet", under the new structure Marc Allera is the overall boss so Andy Baker will be more of a Managing Director than a CEO.

Oliver.
Standard User bob_lucas
(learned) Tue 06-Feb-18 15:14:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by bluetroll:
Someone elsewhere posted a link to this BT page

Were bringing together our BT, EE and Plusnet brands to create the UKs largest provider of fixed-voice, broadband and mobile services. Itll take effect from 1 April 2018.

Not heard anything previously, have I missed something? Any comments or inside knowledge?

That link took me to the BT Corporate page, which is aimed at investors and the Stock Exchange. It merely identifies the various business divisions within BT Group plc. The BT, EE and PlusNet brands will come under the umbrella of the company's Consumer division, in the same way that Openreach is another, entirely separate division.

One or more directors will probably have overall responsibility for the management of the Consumer division and will drive policy decisions within that division. But that does not mean BT, EE and PlusNet (which are separate business) will merge or operate differently after 1 April 2018.
Standard User meldrew
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 17:51:35
Print Post

Using different brandings is a typical marketing strategy. BT seem to be standalone whereas PN run services for companies such as John Lewis. JL oc course use this piggybacking to expand their business. Not sure that this would work if everything was merged into BT. Not sure either how the customer would react too as for all its criticism there are a lot worse CS departments than PN!

There has been an interesting development with Vodafone recently. Their cheap and cheerful brand TalkMobile has now been merged fully into the parent company with higher prices for TM customers. I just see an increase in "churn" but that seems to be the way it all works nowadays.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Feb-18 09:53:28
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
It seems that the brands remain.

Interesting that Andy Baker retains the title of "CEO Plusnet", under the new structure Marc Allera is the overall boss so Andy Baker will be more of a Managing Director than a CEO.

If they changed anything they would lose customers, certainly if they put the price of Plusnet up to the extortionate BT prices.

I said before I would never go back to Bt itself and while i know BT owns plusnet it is still not the same as BT old service. If it ever got to be like that I would be gone. i do have over 12 months left on my contract, but I assume if they made such a drastic change I could get out early.

plusnet at the moment is offing me an ok service, now the connection problem is sorted out, I presume it have been as i have not had any downtime for a couple of months and the price of my mobile phone service from plusnet is good compared to others.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 10 pro, reluctantly, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Feb-18 17:53:51
Print Post

This will means a price rise - if not my contract is with plusnet so if BT do this then I can leave as my contract wont be with the new company.

I am sure that is right
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Feb-18 18:08:09
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Did you read the links people posted, no signs that this will mean a price rise, other than the usual traditional annual price rises.

On your contract thing, if (and this is not what is happening) PlusNet was to pass on your contract to BT so long as service delivery and pricing remain same you have no option to leave, this story has been played out many times as providers have bulk sold customers when wanting to leave different segments of the market.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Feb-18 15:10:38
Print Post

But that's okay so I am sure it will happen soon.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Feb-18 10:47:16
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I'd guarantee there will be price rises "soon" - but not necessarily as a direct result of this.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Feb-18 13:48:31
Print Post

Any idea whether this merge will now make Plusnet subject to the Ofcom margin squeeze test applied to BT's consumer products? In which case a price rise will not just be likely, but obligated.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Feb-18 16:53:22
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

You'd have to ask Ofcom that question

Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Mon 19-Feb-18 21:03:05
Print Post

I Don't know if it just me or the means anything but speedtest.net and WhatsmyIp now show:

ISP: British Telecommunications PLC even though I with Plusnet
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Feb-18 00:09:35
Print Post

[re: kevinrduke] [link to this post]

That may just be your current IP address was registered to them. There is a lot of intermingling now IPv4 addresses have run out.

How often do you re-sync? Check next time smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Tue 20-Feb-18 06:38:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have a Static IP address, the same one for 4 years.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Feb-18 09:12:01
Print Post

Which does suggest they have merged the ownership of IP Addresses then, as you implied. I wonder what EE customers are seeing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User longedge
(committed) Tue 20-Feb-18 09:55:44
Print Post

Same for me. Fixed IP but shown as owned by BT. My location is shown as Burmarsh which couldn't be much more wrong. I'm currently connected to a Colindale gateway if that is what is being detected, but I thought that is somewhere in London.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Feb-18 13:38:20
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Geo IP in the UK is useless in the main

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Feb-18 13:44:29
Print Post

Have you actually done a whois on your IP address, rather than what others are trying to figure out based on the AS number.

In short a lot hinges on what fields are used to ID connections, AS6871 has an as-name of PlusNet but an org-name of British Telecommunications PLC

Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Tue 20-Feb-18 14:37:50
Print Post

A whois does actually show it belongs to Plusnet.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Feb-18 21:16:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by longedge:
Same for me. Fixed IP but shown as owned by BT

Same here, used to say Plusnet.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 75433/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Feb-18 22:10:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

If you use https://www.iplocation.net you can see several Geo IP companies and their guesswork.

In my case with my static IP Plusnet FTTC / VDSL connection I get these responses:

IP2Location = British Telecommunications PLC
ipinfo.io = British Telecommunications PLC
EurekaAPI = PlusNet Technologies Ltd
DB-IP = Plusnet Technologies Ltd
MaxMind = Not Available

Proving MrSaffron's statement - its all guesswork.

A WHOIS from RIPE on my static IP reports:
descr: Dial-up and ADSL pool
descr: PlusNet Technologies Ltd

IP blocks move between organisations all the time, and when its a big corporate like BT PLC then it can take ages to update WHOIS.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
18 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User longedge
(committed) Tue 20-Feb-18 23:21:18
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

This has got me thinking.. I'm sure that a year or two ago I was able to have a change made that resulted in a reverse lookup of my IP address returning just the IP address whereas it now returns my domain name. Is my memory playing tricks on me?
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Tue 20-Feb-18 23:39:25
Print Post

Your memory isn't playing tricks as I remember a few complaints around that time for the same reason.

You can raise a ticket to change the RDNS here by clicking on the configure static IP link.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Mar-18 07:53:28
Print Post

Although, do you remember some years ago Andrew when I posted about a company called Maxmind (think that was the name) that had a pretty accurate GeoIP lookup for the UK.
Last time i looked I couldn't see the free GeoIP look up feature on their website. In comparison to the competition even back then for UK GeoIP lookup they seemed to be streets ahead on accuracy.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Mar-18 11:31:48
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

If you harvest enough databases and correlate the information we all leak about our location you can probably be very good.

Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-18 12:41:17
Print Post

the information we all leak about our location

So right, Mr Saffron. My IP geolocation is normally 200 to 500 miles out, and I like it that way. I turn off all Google spying options as the 'reminders' pester me every few days, and I keep my email addy to personal contacts. However, one of my Gmail disposable accounts demanded authentication via text to mobile phone. I'd thought of this too and keep an old Nokia with £1 throwaway SIM for such odd jobs. The text came in, gmail opened swiftly, within a few minutes my location changed to my post town a few miles away, and later that day I received an ad from a company in that town. I have to hand it to Google, but it's scary.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Mar-18 22:42:26
Print Post

If you harvest enough databases and correlate the information we all leak about our location you can probably be very good.

Absolutely and I was amazed back then of Maxmind's accuracy compared to the general competition.

Edited by Vorlon (Sun 11-Mar-18 22:43:41)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Mar-18 09:39:08
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

GDPR and the need for people to confirm remaining on mailing lists may actually help some firms track people.

Since you are giving them an update on your browser, IP etc in addition to saying yes I want to still receive email.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to