User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jaowon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Mar-18 20:21:58
Print Post

At my wits end with Plusnet over a domain transfer.

[link to this post]

Hi

I've been trying to transfer a domain away from Plusnet since the 12th but I'm getting nowhere. Part of the problem is that the domain was registered 17 years ago by Force9, and all the email addresses associated on the DNS servers do not exist anymore (they are force9 email addresses). CentralNic will only send the domain transfer authorisation email to those addresses on the DNS. Not a problem, simply change the DNS entries to working addresses on a domain that hasn't been abandoned. This seems to be something outside the capability of Plusnet. Each time I speak to someone on the phone I have to explain this over and over. It's not enough to give me an authorisation code to transfer. I or they need to have a working email address that can receive the transfer email authorisation from CentralNic.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, and to top it off, on Sunday the domain expires (hence I have been trying to move it away since the 12th).

Are there any staff members on here with the authority to spend the 30 seconds it will take to change the email addresses on the DNS servers? Ticket numbers are 170279336 and 171056704
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Mar-18 20:39:58
Print Post

Re: At my wits end with Plusnet over a domain transfer.

[re: Jaowon] [link to this post]

A bit late now for forum replies from PN staff, you would have been better asking on the Community forum but with the weekend started I doubt there will be much or any cover from PN staff frown

https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum

John Lewis Broadband
Standard User strzelecki
(regular) Fri 23-Mar-18 20:54:44
Print Post

I'm confused. To transfer, the authorisation code is needed and an email is usually sent to the email address given on the registrant handle for the domain at CentralNic. Not sure what the DNS servers have got to do with it? So the registrant and admin email addresses need updating by the Admin handle (Plusnet?). They probably just need some proof of domain ownership, as in something that matches the registrants details currently.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jaowon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Mar-18 21:50:16
Print Post

[re: strzelecki] [link to this post]

Exactly. The registrant handle for the domain at CentralNic = the email addresses that are registered within the DNS = what you see on a whois lookup.

The email addresses on the lookup are old force9 email addresses that while correct 17 years ago, are no longer valid (plusnet have confirmed this on the phone). They have simply removed the force9 email addresses from their system. I was told on Tuesday that "I'll raise this with networks". Today I was told "I'll raise this with networks, they may be able to change them". I'm sorry but "Maybe" doth butter no parsnips. I have a domain registered with plusnet, who'se technical and administrative contacts are listed as force9 email addresses that no longer exist.

Edited by Jaowon (Fri 23-Mar-18 21:55:14)

Standard User Jaowon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Mar-18 21:52:25
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Been there, done that. Hence I'm at my wits end. This has dragged on since the 12th. Today is the 23rd. This should take no more than 30 seconds to update the appropriate record. Plusnet have been unable to do that one simple task. It will probably cost me my domain.

Edited by Jaowon (Fri 23-Mar-18 21:59:11)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Mar-18 23:07:36
Print Post

If it is a domain that would normally be on the open market, (particularly if it is TLD .uk), then I think it is 90 days before you can re-register it. I managed to gain control of a .org for the organisation it belonged to when the person who had registered and administered it for them simply disappeared. The thing is to be in there on the day, before a collector grabs it for resale at a silly price.

Why don't you renew it as it is before it expires,? I assume you have a website on it, and that would avoid losing the presence of the content. Otherwise what's it for?

Also, if you have control, you can probably move the website itself to a new domain elsewhere and set the existing one to forward to it, without the user seeing the change of URL. That gives you loads of time to sort it out then revert.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71456/14100Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Mar-18 04:34:18
Print Post

Sometimes the incompetence of these companies eludes me. So I recommend this:

https://www.nominet.uk/domains/manage-your-domain/#f...

Changing your registrar

We understand that needs can change – and you might wish to move to a different registrar. If you wish to move your domain name, you should get in touch with your registrar. Because they have access to our registration and domain management systems, they can usually arrange to move a domain name for you very quickly.

If, however, they’re unable to complete this change for you, you can move your domain name to a new registrar yourself using your Online Services account. Requesting to switch to a new registrar costs £10 plus VAT, even if you’re moving more than one domain name.

Assuming it's a .UK domain?

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 Cloudflare Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?

Edited by mixt (Sat 24-Mar-18 04:35:56)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Mar-18 09:47:39
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Won't he still face the same issue of proving ownership of the domain before he can do that?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Mar-18 10:28:01
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
Assuming it's a .UK domain?

Possibly not. OP mentions CentralNic so maybe something like .uk.com.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 24-Mar-18 10:49:47
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I’m wondering how the domain has come to be about to expire anyway. Somebody must have been paying for it, even if it was a Plusnet. The implication is that they have stopped, and I would expect to see that on the Community forums. Which I can’t get to right now.

If they were and have sent out an email telling those affected, then the person triggering that or posting the warning on the Community forums is the one to talk to.

Also even if CentralNic won’t let him take it away at the moment it’s possible they would let him pay the renewal, which solves it for a year while the OP gets it sorted.

Or is the OP getting the spam emails I get on a couple of domains, with increasing levels of urgency in them, saying they are about to expire, when I know full well they are on auto-renew with the host and am getting the appropriate emails from them about the direct debits?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71456/14100Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to