User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Mar-18 18:26:36
Print Post

Re: At my wits end with Plusnet over a domain transfer.

[re: Jaowon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jaowon:
I've just rang up and paid almost £100 to have the domain renewed so I won't lose it. I was hoping that the transfer out would take less than 2 weeks, but it doesn't seem like Plusnet can work that fast. I started the transfer out on the 12th. When I've previously transferred domains from Plusnet, the changes occurred same day, usually because the person on the end of the phone was able to make the changes themselves. I guess BT have stripped that ability away from the staff answering calls.

My reason for moving was I don't want to pay the ludicrous amount that Plusnet are charging for the renewal. It looks like they've effectively held my domain to ransom. They'll probably make the changes now I've paid.

The £100 does not sound entirely unreasonable (or more specifically unusual) if the domain name has expired - generally speaking an expired domain name is more costly to renew.

It also does depend on the domain name type (no idea what it is from your posts) and the length of renewal.

Of course, the expired nature aside you might find someone else is offering better prices normally etc of course - unfortunately as per my other post, leaving it until a couple of weeks before expiry is not advised (and some providers and domain types do not permit transfers in the last month for this reason) - it's best to buy a one year renewal (most people offer this) and then do the transfer - or of course with hindsight, do the transfer a lot earlier!
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Mar-18 21:15:26
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by therioman:
In reply to a post by Jaowon:
I've just rang up and paid almost £100 to have the domain renewed so I won't lose it. I was hoping that the transfer out would take less than 2 weeks, but it doesn't seem like Plusnet can work that fast. I started the transfer out on the 12th. When I've previously transferred domains from Plusnet, the changes occurred same day, usually because the person on the end of the phone was able to make the changes themselves. I guess BT have stripped that ability away from the staff answering calls.

My reason for moving was I don't want to pay the ludicrous amount that Plusnet are charging for the renewal. It looks like they've effectively held my domain to ransom. They'll probably make the changes now I've paid.

The £100 does not sound entirely unreasonable (or more specifically unusual) if the domain name has expired - generally speaking an expired domain name is more costly to renew.

Only if the domain has entered redemption and for CentralNic that is 40 days after expiry.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Wed 28-Mar-18 12:53:24
Print Post

[re: Jaowon] [link to this post]

Hi there,

I'd like to get stuck in and get this sorted for you.

Can you send me a private message with the domain please?

Adam

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Mar-18 16:29:17
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Pullin...

That post has ticket numbers.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8

Edited by jelv (Wed 28-Mar-18 16:30:30)

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Wed 28-Mar-18 19:21:30
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Just in the hope it helps someone else in the future.

I had an issue with a .uk domain registered with an overseas registrar.

I'd deleted the yahoo e-mail address I used for administration so I contavted the registrar for assistance.

Unfortunately they gave me no opportunity to prove ownership of the domain so I contacted Nominet doamin enquries and explained, they were very helpful.

I had to send a scan of proof of ID and proof of address and I had to pay £10 fee for tag change but I managed to regain control of it.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Netgear D6400
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-18 20:25:59
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Nominet are very good. However not everyone wants or can find a .UK domain for their purposes. Easier now you have .co.uk and .uk separated - but I suspect both are mostly the same!

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Mar-18 21:20:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

IIRC you still can't pick up a pure .uk if there is already a .co.uk on it. Until some time in 2019. The .co.uk has first refusal till then.

I have a few .uk's, some from my .co.uk's and some from scratch.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-18 21:27:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
IIRC you still can't pick up a pure .uk if there is already a .co.uk on it. Until some time in 2019. The .co.uk has first refusal till then. I have a few .uk's, some from my .co.uk's and some from scratch.

Yes, I'm in the same boat. I picked up a couple of .UK's because I have the CO.UK but I'm not sure why now. It seems stupid to have the same name in every TLD, as all the multinational corporations do.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Mar-18 21:29:48
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

If nothing else, to prevent anyone else getting it and eclipsing your .co.uk. Who knows what will happen five years after it's freely available?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-18 22:25:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes for the multinationals I can see the rationale, but not for my hobby site that does no commerce.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to