User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jaowon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Mar-18 20:21:58
Print Post

At my wits end with Plusnet over a domain transfer.

[link to this post]

Hi

I've been trying to transfer a domain away from Plusnet since the 12th but I'm getting nowhere. Part of the problem is that the domain was registered 17 years ago by Force9, and all the email addresses associated on the DNS servers do not exist anymore (they are force9 email addresses). CentralNic will only send the domain transfer authorisation email to those addresses on the DNS. Not a problem, simply change the DNS entries to working addresses on a domain that hasn't been abandoned. This seems to be something outside the capability of Plusnet. Each time I speak to someone on the phone I have to explain this over and over. It's not enough to give me an authorisation code to transfer. I or they need to have a working email address that can receive the transfer email authorisation from CentralNic.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, and to top it off, on Sunday the domain expires (hence I have been trying to move it away since the 12th).

Are there any staff members on here with the authority to spend the 30 seconds it will take to change the email addresses on the DNS servers? Ticket numbers are 170279336 and 171056704
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Mar-18 20:39:58
Print Post

Re: At my wits end with Plusnet over a domain transfer.

[re: Jaowon] [link to this post]

A bit late now for forum replies from PN staff, you would have been better asking on the Community forum but with the weekend started I doubt there will be much or any cover from PN staff frown

https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum

John Lewis Broadband
Standard User strzelecki
(regular) Fri 23-Mar-18 20:54:44
Print Post

I'm confused. To transfer, the authorisation code is needed and an email is usually sent to the email address given on the registrant handle for the domain at CentralNic. Not sure what the DNS servers have got to do with it? So the registrant and admin email addresses need updating by the Admin handle (Plusnet?). They probably just need some proof of domain ownership, as in something that matches the registrants details currently.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jaowon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Mar-18 21:50:16
Print Post

[re: strzelecki] [link to this post]

Exactly. The registrant handle for the domain at CentralNic = the email addresses that are registered within the DNS = what you see on a whois lookup.

The email addresses on the lookup are old force9 email addresses that while correct 17 years ago, are no longer valid (plusnet have confirmed this on the phone). They have simply removed the force9 email addresses from their system. I was told on Tuesday that "I'll raise this with networks". Today I was told "I'll raise this with networks, they may be able to change them". I'm sorry but "Maybe" doth butter no parsnips. I have a domain registered with plusnet, who'se technical and administrative contacts are listed as force9 email addresses that no longer exist.

Edited by Jaowon (Fri 23-Mar-18 21:55:14)

Standard User Jaowon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Mar-18 21:52:25
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Been there, done that. Hence I'm at my wits end. This has dragged on since the 12th. Today is the 23rd. This should take no more than 30 seconds to update the appropriate record. Plusnet have been unable to do that one simple task. It will probably cost me my domain.

Edited by Jaowon (Fri 23-Mar-18 21:59:11)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Mar-18 23:07:36
Print Post

If it is a domain that would normally be on the open market, (particularly if it is TLD .uk), then I think it is 90 days before you can re-register it. I managed to gain control of a .org for the organisation it belonged to when the person who had registered and administered it for them simply disappeared. The thing is to be in there on the day, before a collector grabs it for resale at a silly price.

Why don't you renew it as it is before it expires,? I assume you have a website on it, and that would avoid losing the presence of the content. Otherwise what's it for?

Also, if you have control, you can probably move the website itself to a new domain elsewhere and set the existing one to forward to it, without the user seeing the change of URL. That gives you loads of time to sort it out then revert.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71456/14100Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Mar-18 04:34:18
Print Post

Sometimes the incompetence of these companies eludes me. So I recommend this:

https://www.nominet.uk/domains/manage-your-domain/#f...

Changing your registrar

We understand that needs can change – and you might wish to move to a different registrar. If you wish to move your domain name, you should get in touch with your registrar. Because they have access to our registration and domain management systems, they can usually arrange to move a domain name for you very quickly.

If, however, they’re unable to complete this change for you, you can move your domain name to a new registrar yourself using your Online Services account. Requesting to switch to a new registrar costs £10 plus VAT, even if you’re moving more than one domain name.

Assuming it's a .UK domain?

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 Cloudflare Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?

Edited by mixt (Sat 24-Mar-18 04:35:56)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Mar-18 09:47:39
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Won't he still face the same issue of proving ownership of the domain before he can do that?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Mar-18 10:28:01
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
Assuming it's a .UK domain?

Possibly not. OP mentions CentralNic so maybe something like .uk.com.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 24-Mar-18 10:49:47
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I’m wondering how the domain has come to be about to expire anyway. Somebody must have been paying for it, even if it was a Plusnet. The implication is that they have stopped, and I would expect to see that on the Community forums. Which I can’t get to right now.

If they were and have sent out an email telling those affected, then the person triggering that or posting the warning on the Community forums is the one to talk to.

Also even if CentralNic won’t let him take it away at the moment it’s possible they would let him pay the renewal, which solves it for a year while the OP gets it sorted.

Or is the OP getting the spam emails I get on a couple of domains, with increasing levels of urgency in them, saying they are about to expire, when I know full well they are on auto-renew with the host and am getting the appropriate emails from them about the direct debits?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71456/14100Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 24-Mar-18 10:56:23
Print Post

Hang on. You imply that Plusnet are giving you the authorisation code. You enter that on the new host’s order form.

Importantly, as I asked earlier, what is this domain for? A website? It just occurred to me to wonder where that is hosted. Domain hosting and site hosting are different/separate things.

Standard User strzelecki
(regular) Sat 24-Mar-18 11:59:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The problem is now it's expired and is in the grace period some hosts/domain providers won't allow a transfer. If you can get it transferred you can then get the new registrar to update the handle emails.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 24-Mar-18 12:11:35
Print Post

[re: strzelecki] [link to this post]

It doesn't expire until tomorrow.

Standard User Jaowon
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Mar-18 17:18:42
Print Post

I've just rang up and paid almost £100 to have the domain renewed so I won't lose it. I was hoping that the transfer out would take less than 2 weeks, but it doesn't seem like Plusnet can work that fast. I started the transfer out on the 12th. When I've previously transferred domains from Plusnet, the changes occurred same day, usually because the person on the end of the phone was able to make the changes themselves. I guess BT have stripped that ability away from the staff answering calls.

My reason for moving was I don't want to pay the ludicrous amount that Plusnet are charging for the renewal. It looks like they've effectively held my domain to ransom. They'll probably make the changes now I've paid.

Edited by Jaowon (Sat 24-Mar-18 17:19:24)

Standard User Jaowon
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Mar-18 17:48:12
Print Post

It's a domain I use for my entire family's email. It's my surname, and probably worth quite a bit out on the open market. It's hosted by Plusnet, and the email is handled by Gsuite. There is no website, tho if I visit the site I can see directory that Plusnet provide and it's contents.

The issue is that at some point, Plusnet have abandoned the old Force9 email addresses. The whois is showing that the email address for the contact details is postmaster@myname.force9.co.uk. 18 years ago when I registered the domain, this would have worked as Force9 provided the alias on my POP3 mailbox. However, now if I log into the web portal, my email address is myname@imap.plus.net. At some point in the last 17 years, Plusnet have switched the domains associated with webmail from Force9 to Plusnet and abandoned the alias.

2 weeks ago I started the domain transfer process, only nothing happened. A week later I figured out what it was when I spoke to 123-reg. They have to send an email to the address on the whois, with a unique CentralNic link which I have to follow and enter the authorisation code to agree to the transfer. The emails that are being sent are simply going into the void. I then last Tuesday spoke to Plusnet, and had to explain what was going wrong, and the guy agreed that the emails couldn't be delivered and that he would have to raise it with networks to either restore the old email address, or change the record with my current email address. This so far has not occurred. I called back on Friday, but the new chap on the phone did not understand the issue and it looks like he closed the original ticket. Eventually after some more explaining he started a new ticket again asking networks to make the change. It's at this point he then said that networks "might" make the change, which I then took to mean he still didn't understand what I needed. I called back later and was told that there is nothing more that can be done, because it's been raised to networks.

This morning I've received a text message questionnaire to my phone asking if I'm satisfied with the experience I've received from customer services. Nothing has still been done, so I gave the lowest marks available.

Edited by Jaowon (Sat 24-Mar-18 17:55:42)

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Mar-18 18:23:50
Print Post

I think one of the lessons here (and I am not trying to defend Plusnet's handling of this) might be not to attempt to transfer a domain away that close to its expiry.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 75433/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 24-Mar-18 19:04:08
Print Post

At least you aren't going to lose it smile. I saw that as the immediate thing to do ensure, given that the people you need in Plusnet are simply not there at weekends.

As has been suggested, you might get a rep on the Community forums this coming week who can do something. If that fails then contacting the CEO Marc Allera seems the best next step.

I think the best shot would be the EE email address on this page. (He is now CEO of BTConsumer and Plusnet as well as EE). I expect that address is still active. Make it clear in the email Subject that it is about Plusnet though.

Do try the Community forums first, and if you have any Tickets/Questions on file about it they might be useful.

Once you get it moved I suggest you should be looking for at least £80 refund on that ridiculous £100. If not the full amount due to their failure. A .uk domain, with email, costs nothing like that. As you will know from 1 & 1.

Standard User strzelecki
(regular) Sat 24-Mar-18 19:54:06
Print Post

£100! Most of the core CentralNic domains (.uk.com, .eu.com, .uk.net) are around £16 wholesale per yer, so even with margins I'd expect it to be half that price for 2 years.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Mar-18 22:25:02
Print Post

As Robertos suggested your best bet is to post on the community forums. It looks like Plusnet have made a policy decision not to monitor or respond to posts on these forums as they are very rarely seen on here.

When you post on community include @Bobpullen and @chris in your post. Those are the two people in Plusnet most likely to sort it out for you.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Mar-18 18:23:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jaowon:
I've been trying to transfer a domain away from Plusnet since the 12th but I'm getting nowhere. Part of the problem is that the domain was registered 17 years ago by Force9, and all the email addresses associated on the DNS servers do not exist anymore (they are force9 email addresses). CentralNic will only send the domain transfer authorisation email to those addresses on the DNS. Not a problem, simply change the DNS entries to working addresses on a domain that hasn't been abandoned. This seems to be something outside the capability of Plusnet. Each time I speak to someone on the phone I have to explain this over and over. It's not enough to give me an authorisation code to transfer. I or they need to have a working email address that can receive the transfer email authorisation from CentralNic.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, and to top it off, on Sunday the domain expires (hence I have been trying to move it away since the 12th).

Are there any staff members on here with the authority to spend the 30 seconds it will take to change the email addresses on the DNS servers? Ticket numbers are 170279336 and 171056704

For you or others in future - for non .uk ending domain names...

E-Mail addresses are not stored on DNS servers, so that's not an accurate representation of what is required.

Plusnet as the current holder of the domain can request an update to the administrative contact (and registrant, technical and/or organisational) and it doesn't involve DNS, but does require Plusnet to do it, so for the avoidance of confusion, when you do a WHOIS that information does NOT come from DNS, although it typically shows the DNS Nameservers assigned for the domain, that's neither here nor there. It's worth bearing in mind that Plusnet should be able to do this regardless of the current e-mail addresses showing on WHOIS as they're billing you so they already know you're associated with the domain name.

If the domain is expiring/expired, and it's still within the period it is retained, you will need to pay Plusnet as the current holder to renew it, this may cost more (generally speaking my advice is never wait until close to renewal date to move a domain name to avoid complexity, and if it is close, it's often better to buy a 1 year renewal first to ensure you don't get into a mess if there is a problem). It might cost more to renew if expired and/or in retention/redemption period.

I do not advise waiting for a domain to expire entirely and then try and repurchase it as domains can be taken by anyone - and sometimes this is a drop service that constantly monitors for domains that are expired/released and then automatically purchases in the hope people will want to pay inflated prices either to get them back, or to acquire them, and even seemingly unlikely domain names can be grabbed by these services.

For a domain name that is ending in .uk (normal types. not the special types like .ac.uk etc), you can if you've not got any idea who the contact e-mails are, and if you don't have any contact with the current registrar for the domain, contact Nominet directly and they have a process to help you get reunited with your domain name, although in the majority of cases the current registrar should help (and in many cases they're obliged to under the agreement with Nominet)
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Mar-18 18:26:36
Print Post

I've just rang up and paid almost £100 to have the domain renewed so I won't lose it. I was hoping that the transfer out would take less than 2 weeks, but it doesn't seem like Plusnet can work that fast. I started the transfer out on the 12th. When I've previously transferred domains from Plusnet, the changes occurred same day, usually because the person on the end of the phone was able to make the changes themselves. I guess BT have stripped that ability away from the staff answering calls.

My reason for moving was I don't want to pay the ludicrous amount that Plusnet are charging for the renewal. It looks like they've effectively held my domain to ransom. They'll probably make the changes now I've paid.

The £100 does not sound entirely unreasonable (or more specifically unusual) if the domain name has expired - generally speaking an expired domain name is more costly to renew.

It also does depend on the domain name type (no idea what it is from your posts) and the length of renewal.

Of course, the expired nature aside you might find someone else is offering better prices normally etc of course - unfortunately as per my other post, leaving it until a couple of weeks before expiry is not advised (and some providers and domain types do not permit transfers in the last month for this reason) - it's best to buy a one year renewal (most people offer this) and then do the transfer - or of course with hindsight, do the transfer a lot earlier!
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Mar-18 21:15:26
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by therioman:

The £100 does not sound entirely unreasonable (or more specifically unusual) if the domain name has expired - generally speaking an expired domain name is more costly to renew.

Only if the domain has entered redemption and for CentralNic that is 40 days after expiry.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Wed 28-Mar-18 12:53:24
Print Post

Hi there,

I'd like to get stuck in and get this sorted for you.

Can you send me a private message with the domain please?

Adam

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Mar-18 16:29:17
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Pullin...

That post has ticket numbers.

jelv

AAISP November 2016

Edited by jelv (Wed 28-Mar-18 16:30:30)

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Wed 28-Mar-18 19:21:30
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Just in the hope it helps someone else in the future.

I had an issue with a .uk domain registered with an overseas registrar.

I'd deleted the yahoo e-mail address I used for administration so I contavted the registrar for assistance.

Unfortunately they gave me no opportunity to prove ownership of the domain so I contacted Nominet doamin enquries and explained, they were very helpful.

I had to send a scan of proof of ID and proof of address and I had to pay £10 fee for tag change but I managed to regain control of it.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Netgear D6400
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-18 20:25:59
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Nominet are very good. However not everyone wants or can find a .UK domain for their purposes. Easier now you have .co.uk and .uk separated - but I suspect both are mostly the same!

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Mar-18 21:20:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

IIRC you still can't pick up a pure .uk if there is already a .co.uk on it. Until some time in 2019. The .co.uk has first refusal till then.

I have a few .uk's, some from my .co.uk's and some from scratch.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-18 21:27:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
IIRC you still can't pick up a pure .uk if there is already a .co.uk on it. Until some time in 2019. The .co.uk has first refusal till then. I have a few .uk's, some from my .co.uk's and some from scratch.

Yes, I'm in the same boat. I picked up a couple of .UK's because I have the CO.UK but I'm not sure why now. It seems stupid to have the same name in every TLD, as all the multinational corporations do.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Mar-18 21:29:48
Print Post

If nothing else, to prevent anyone else getting it and eclipsing your .co.uk. Who knows what will happen five years after it's freely available?

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-18 22:25:33
Print Post

Yes for the multinationals I can see the rationale, but not for my hobby site that does no commerce.

Standard User richi
(member) Thu 29-Mar-18 09:46:46
Print Post

But look to the future: In a few years' time, the old twin-level UK domain structure will be seen as old-skool. People will have got used to seeing example.uk, so will think of example.co.uk as being old and dusty, while example.uk is the shiny hotness.

It might even become a question of trust: "What is this example.co.uk? Is it a scam site trying to pretend to be my beloved example.uk?"

3 km line on THTG: 17/1.2 Mb/s with Plusnet Business.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky.
Standard User Jaowon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Mar-18 10:13:47
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

Thanks,

I've had a ticket update (171056704) saying they have updated the email address. I've had a quick look at the whois, and can see they have changed the registrant email address, but left the administrative and technical addresses as they were.

I'll attempt the transfer over the weekend again and see if the registrant address being correct is enough to receive the authorisation email.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Mar-18 19:40:14
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by richi:
But look to the future: In a few years' time, the old twin-level UK domain structure will be seen as old-skool. People will have got used to seeing example.uk, so will think of example.co.uk as being old and dusty, while example.uk is the shiny hotness.

It might even become a question of trust: "What is this example.co.uk? Is it a scam site trying to pretend to be my beloved example.uk?"

If that were going to happen it would have already begun and there is absolutely no sign of it. We are now nearly four years in and even Amazon is still not using it, despite all their other country domains being just one level.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 75433/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Mar-18 20:10:59
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
If that were going to happen it would have already begun and there is absolutely no sign of it. We are now nearly four years in and even Amazon is still not using it, despite all their other country domains being just one level.

That may change when any reserved .uk domains that have not been registered are released next year.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to