User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User godsell4
(member) Thu 29-Mar-18 15:41:32
Print Post

3 to 5 days to change IP Profile

[link to this post]

Posted on PN forum too, does not seem to have got any attention from CS, so posting here too.

So the online live chat was not available, so I called CS to report PN has my IP Profile set wrong.

The 'hidden page' showing my the PN value of current line speed is set to 0.2Mb, I am connected at 5.8Mb and a BTW Speedtest tells me the IP profile should be 5.6Mb.

I have just got off the phone with CS who tell me a senior faults person needs to look at this issue, it could take 3 to 5 days. They have no idea about the 0.2Mb number, not something they could see on my account details.

In the past, this is something sorted within 5 mins either by Live Chat or a Phone Call.

Please see ticket 171446174 if anybody from PN sees this post and can help?

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Gigaclear FTTP 100Mb TBD
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Mar-18 19:25:52
Print Post

Re: 3 to 5 days to change IP Profile

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

There's a fair chance that the CS person you spoke to doesn't know that the IP Profile and the Current line speed are effectively the same thing. So if you referred to the IP Profile on your account then they wouldn't be able to see it, though they might have seen the CLS. (Sadly).

They may not even have known what an IP Profile is.

To show what I mean, your Subject here is 100% the wrong term. Plusnet cannot change your IP Profile, so asking them to do so is bound to fail. All they can change is your Current line speed. Which should normally be a fraction below the IP Profile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Mar-18 19:45:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It would make life so much easier if they made this visible again (or did away with it altogether), not just for us but for the support staff.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 75433/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Mar-18 20:16:12
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

They won't do away with it, as it or similar is a recommended (required?) feature specified in whichever SIN it is, the relevant BT Wholesale one in this case. Openreach SIN 498 also requires it for FTTC.

If they stop us seeing it by having the preserved link that would be worse than things are now,

I think most if not all ISPs do similar. AAISP do, and also Zen IIRC. The idea is to prevent packet dropping at the MSAN/DSLAM where there is not the buffering capacity that ISPs have within their own systems, and the resultant retransmission to it that would be required.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Thu 29-Mar-18 20:29:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It doesn't apply to the new network unless you have a static IP address or are on one of the less common ADSL options (can't remember offhand which one.)
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Mar-18 20:33:02
Print Post

If your IP Profile is low because of an earlier fault which has been cleared then Plusnet can reset the line so that normal speed is restored. The challenge is to find someone who will do this for your.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Mar-18 20:58:12
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

It isn't.
The 'hidden page' showing my the PN value of current line speed is set to 0.2Mb, I am connected at 5.8Mb and a BTW Speedtest tells me the IP profile should be 5.6Mb.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Apr-18 10:35:18
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
If your IP Profile is low because of an earlier fault which has been cleared then Plusnet can reset the line so that normal speed is restored. The challenge is to find someone who will do this for your.

Whilst that was totally true when PN used to have LLU lines (I used to play with the Tiscali kit all day long for people) nowadays it's as Bob says. DLM can't be reset by Plusnet, only line speed within workplace which they hope will bump things up.

Last time this happened to me I just rebooted the router after 48 hours and got my line speed back.. Last time, btw was about 5 minutes ago as I too have had a fault.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Apr-18 10:50:06
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I did get my ADSL line speed restored by Plusnet following a fault about 18 months ago, that way I avoided waiting a couple of days. There are no LLU operators at the exchange the line is connected to.

Michael Chare
Standard User jaba
(regular) Mon 02-Apr-18 11:38:17
Print Post

The only way I have found to avoid PN's crippling of ADSL line speed with their 'Current Line Speed' is to move away to another ISP.
After many years of frustration waiting for PN to update the speed after a glitch, fault, power cuts or even me tweaking router settings a few times and then having to phone them when it did not happen I left them a couple of years ago and now always enjoy a download speed close to the modem sync speed. Which on a 21CN line is as it should be.

I do pay more of course but it is worth it for me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to