User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User axisofevil
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-18 20:07:41
Print Post

Stay away from Plusnet

[link to this post]

Stay away from Plusnet!

I've never seen an ISP increase broadband only prices.
Plusnet have increased prices of ALL broadband accounts (of which there are a large number).

Phone prices are increased across the board...
Luckily, I don't use Plusnet phones - and never will!

For sometime now, their usage monitor has reported rubbish, so unless your router reports traffic usage you may find it difficult to move to a limited usage account on a different ISP.

BTW Their email hasn't really worked properly for the last 2 years!

Jeremy

Edited by axisofevil (Wed 25-Apr-18 20:13:27)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Apr-18 20:39:54
Print Post

Re: Stay away from Plusnet

[re: axisofevil] [link to this post]

Pretty much all providers put their prices up annually especially as inflation is running at about 3%. I don’t think this is a good reason to avoid plusnet, who are one of the cheaper providers.

There’s good deals available though if you time any order correctly.

Kris

Sky Fibre
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User axisofevil
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-18 20:50:41
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

If you stay on an old contract, the price has never been increased - until now!
Obviously, capabilities of ancient contracts haven't improved.

Clearly phone prices are increased every year - but the broadband portion has not been increased.

I'm on an old fibre 80/20 contract taken out 6 years ago, which has not increased in price - until now.

I have my phone with BT - so I've had considerable price rises in that area.
I wouldn't trust Plusnet's accounting system to handle a bill that varies each month.

Basically, Plusnet are fairly cheap but only if you don't require any support.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jdigz7
(member) Wed 25-Apr-18 20:55:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by axisofevil:
Stay away from Plusnet!

I've never seen an ISP increase broadband only prices.
Plusnet have increased prices of ALL broadband accounts (of which there are a large number).

Phone prices are increased across the board...
Luckily, I don't use Plusnet phones - and never will!

For sometime now, their usage monitor has reported rubbish, so unless your router reports traffic usage you may find it difficult to move to a limited usage account on a different ISP.

BTW Their email hasn't really worked properly for the last 2 years!

Jeremy

Bargain bin ISP for bargain bin people. Considering how many ISP's offer new customer discount's and when a price rise comes you can migrate away to another ISP on a new deal if you are that worried about price rises.

in terms of internet pricing there was times when 3Mbit broadband used to cost >£50 alone.
Standard User axisofevil
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-18 21:35:12
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

Thanks for the compliment.
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Wed 25-Apr-18 23:25:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by jdigz7:
in terms of internet pricing there was times when 3Mbit broadband used to cost >£50 alone.

Back in Dec 2001 when I first got broadband I was paying £49 per month (dropped to £25 a few months later) for 512 kbit not including telephone rental - I think cheapest was BT at £40 per month.

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User jdigz7
(member) Thu 26-Apr-18 00:14:19
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kenneth:

Back in Dec 2001 when I first got broadband I was paying £49 per month (dropped to £25 a few months later) for 512 kbit not including telephone rental - I think cheapest was BT at £40 per month.

I never had the pleasure of adsl in early years was always Telewest cable went from 512K>1Mbit>2Mbit>3Mbit>10Mbit>20Mbit I believe.

I'm sure it used to cost close to 60-70 for 3Mbit at first
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-18 02:10:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by axisofevil:
If you stay on an old contract, the price has never been increased - until now!
EE have done the same. Orders from Big Brother?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-18 09:19:20
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

I got on BT OpenWorld when 512Kb was £150 install and £50 per month (plus line rental). Amazing how much prices have come down as I now pay less than that for 80/20 and line rental included. Shame gas, electric, food, petrol, etc haven't come down in price or improved so much over the years.
Standard User 69bertie
(member) Thu 26-Apr-18 17:18:25
Print Post

Too true. I really cannot fault Plusnet for the money I pay. Been with them on the Unlimited Fibre Extra since I joined them and I cannot complain. Even about their CS. None are perfect. On the odd occasion that the line has tipped up (5 miles in the wilderness), CS have done the biz of getting OR to sort it.

And really GOOD news with their email today, seems we are now a low cost area. Saving yet another £7.50 a month. Why would I want to pay more going with so called top quality ISP's? We seem to use about 150Gb per month. and the internet still comes on down the same wires!

Plusnet can keep the free caller display though. The phone hasn't been plugged in for years.

Edited by 69bertie (Thu 26-Apr-18 17:22:30)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-18 18:09:36
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

Next time it is time to renew your contract look at moving the phone only to Pulse8 at £13 per month. Plusnet will charge you an extra £2.50 for not having the phone with them but you could still save money.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Apr-18 20:48:17
Print Post

I'm with Plusnet 80/20 FTTC and think it's good value. I've been with Idnet and Zen too and had an excellent service. The only ISP I would never return to is TalkTalk.

I first used the internet in 1994 with Compuserve and had to pay BT for the landline use and connect at 4800bps. If I wanted speeds like 9600bps I had the option of using a connection by GNS Dial Plus (think that was the name) who would charge me again.

So I don't have a problem with PlusNet putting up their price by £1. Also for other customers like myself who use Caller Display (currently at 99p I believe) we will see that become free. So that should practically offset the general price rise.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-18 22:00:31
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I got on BT OpenWorld when 512Kb was £150 install and £50 per month (plus line rental).

Many of us have been on home broadband for a long time. I was on NTL's original cable modem trial in sept 1999 @ £40/m for 512k/128k and you had to have the phone line and TV services as well. The 512k was closer to 300 and the 128k was often 56k .....

It was relaunched early 2000 after ntlworld unmetered dialup, and became a good service. Then higher speed tiers were offered.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 8/Apr/18: 62,153/9,919 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-Apr-18 23:31:28
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Vorlon:
So I don't have a problem with PlusNet putting up their price by £1. Also for other customers like myself who use Caller Display (currently at 99p I believe) we will see that become free. So that should practically offset the general price rise.
Tuesday, September 19, 2017 10:39am

Ofcom has announced that from 1st October 2018 (not this October but a year away) providers will not be allowed to charge for caller display. This is one of a number of changes intended to protect consumers and the removal of one of those charges that has been known to catch people out people will largely be happy, though it might just be that the revenue some operators raised from caller display options will be spread between their full range of customers, the downside being it might increase the line rental component for those taking a DSL service but never plug a phone in so caller id is irrelevant.

thinkbroadband News

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 64872/13513Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 26-Apr-18 23:32:29)

Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Apr-18 00:32:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Can't see our line only provider taking that without a price rise Bob - They might, as they claim to never have raised a price and reduced the price of FTTC recently.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Apr-18 00:47:15
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

But as line only with caller display I won't see any difference. It's people who only have the landline for broadband supply who will get hit, as in the linked article.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 64872/13513Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Apr-18 17:49:45
Print Post

Bargain bin ISP for bargain bin people. Considering how many ISP's offer new customer discount's and when a price rise comes you can migrate away to another ISP on a new deal if you are that worried about price rises.

Plusnet have been ok for me most of the time, I had a couple of problems, but they was not Plusnet fault, it was a BTOR network problem and to be honest Plusnet got BTOR out to look at it a few times to solve the problem, i am still not sure if the problem is really solved, but it seems ok at the moment. plusnet even sent me a different router, a Zyxel instead of their normal router to see if that would solve the problem and it seems to have done so.

Speed wise I get more than neighbours who are on the same cabinet with different providers, next door is with BT and they are getting 24Mb/s if they are lucky, I am getting 38Mb/s and paying a lot less than they are.

Price rises are not nice and I admit I do not want to pay more, I have not had any email to say my package is rising in price. but yes, when I first started to use broadband in 2000, ADSL was 512Kb/s and cost me £39.99, plus line rental on top.

Plusnet is not perfect and I know it is still owned by BT, but it seems to be run as a separate company and certainly do not have a BT feel to it. they also leave me alone apart from the odd email about their sport app. Not like BT, sky or Talk Talk who seems to keep on pestering their customers to get more added on.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered and back to windows 8.1, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Apr-18 18:06:37
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Not like BT, sky or Talk Talk who seems to keep on pestering their customers to get more added on.

I have all the marketing preferences in "My Sky" unticked and Sky never pester me, despite me only having ADSL2+ with no TV.

Oliver.
Standard User Conrad3000
(member) Fri 27-Apr-18 19:43:44
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I've been with PN since 2013 and shockingly (well, probably to a few), I've been very happy laugh
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-18 01:18:10
Print Post

Well we pay an extra pound for caller display. If they are not allowed to continue that charge, my thought was they may have to increase their low line rental charge to compensate. Probably I 'm thick, but can't see broadband or the lack of it having any bearing on not being able to charge for caller display, with just a 'might' mentioned regarding broadband increase to offset - Nothing to say they can't increase line rental also.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Apr-18 02:22:25
Print Post

I was meaning that as I pay £13 rental + £1 caller display, if the CD becomes free but rental goes up to £14 I’ll see no difference. But that on the other hand people who never use the landline for incoming or outgoing, and only have the line to carry broadband, they will get hit if the price for rental rises.

That the same as the original point to about the Plusnet price rise having the same effect on their users.

We’d need to look at the actual price list to see which has risen, broadband or rental.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Apr-18 09:04:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
But as line only with caller display I won't see any difference. It's people who only have the landline for broadband supply who will get hit, as in the linked article.

Agreed, I had line only on PN and it was still £18,99 a month - total rip off. AA is what £10? that's a bit better. I believe Pulse8 is like £6? That's much better but how do they make any money from that?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Apr-18 09:16:08
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Pulse8 is only £6 when bundled with broadband. Stand-alone like I and professor973 have is £13. Call 1p per minute, billed by the second. No call setup charges. Only 0.8p per minute off-peak.

If you are paying a biggie supplier for "Anytime”, or even E & W, think how many minutes that is. As for biggie costs outside E & W, look at the setup charge! 22p or something before you speak a word.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70512/13708Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-18 09:17:42
Print Post

Oh I agree with what you are saying Bob, but any supplier that did that and I expect many will, would be ignoring the new ruling. My line of thought was would Pulse8 be able to afford not to with their already low rental, taking into account their policy is to never raise a price and there are already lower cost line out there with the same call cost. Anyway, time will tell and it was the thought it affected line only customers that caught my eye - the Wrong end of the stick yet again I suppose Lol

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Apr-18 09:30:03
Print Post

I haven’t found any cheaper that let you have it stand-alone. And bundled prices are the only ones that have to show clearly the bundled price, rather than banner broadband and tiny compulsory rental. In effect Pulse8 comply, as the addition for line on ADSL2+ has equal prominence. FTTC prices are inclusive.

Where they offer ADSL2+ without rental, you have to specifically select the page. Just like with the major players that also allow it.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70512/13708Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-18 09:41:10
Print Post

Yes many bundled cheaper than Pulse8 standalone, but there are some standalone the exact same price we now pay with a lot more included features, not that I would move for features I would not use, but handy to have an option. IDNet is one example.
https://www.idnet.net/voice_products/pstn_phoneline.php

Edited by professor973 (Sat 28-Apr-18 09:44:07)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Apr-18 10:15:13
Print Post

£16.80?
Edit: And 1.2ppm and 9.6p call setup except 08 lines where an access charge of 9.6p per minute is charged.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 28-Apr-18 10:20:12)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 28-Apr-18 11:05:19
Print Post

so you was happy for phone customers to subsidise your package and now finally you got an increase for the first time in several years you tell everyone to stay away, probably the worst type of customer to have.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-18 15:54:50
Print Post

Best to go now and find a better and cheaper ISP and pay a realistic price for good email and outstanding support!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-18 16:59:44
Print Post

Pulse8 [line rental] is only £6 when bundled with broadband.

Is that full LLU (MPF)? Uno offer ADSL TTB partial LLU (SMPF) together with BTw line rental, both on a one month minimum term, at what seems like a very similar combined price...

Edited by 4M2 (Sat 28-Apr-18 17:16:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Apr-18 17:27:27
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I wasn't expecting to get into a full discussion of various suppliers' prices for bundled and unbundled lines and broadband wink. The discussion started with the Plusnet price rises, and the question of Caller Display charges which are being banned.

However, yes, the Pulse8 £6 line rental applies on TTB MPF connections. Pulse8 line rental only is straight WLR3 via Pulse8 and Openreach, not involving TTB at all.

They have also been offering this at the current prices for several years. Your suggested Uno possibility has only recently become available. Note also that Uno prices (for everything) do not include Vat.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-18 17:42:53
Print Post

However, yes, the Pulse8 £6 line rental applies on TTB MPF connections. Pulse8 line rental only is straight WLR3 via Pulse8 and Openreach, not involving TTB at all.

Thanks for the clarification smile
Standard User rolyan
(newbie) Sat 28-Apr-18 19:27:52
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I have been browsing through this thread and have noticed that nobody has mentioned that Plusnet is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT. I think this has been the case for 2 years now so the prices will increase in line with BT policy.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-18 20:54:32
Print Post

[re: rolyan] [link to this post]

It has been a subsidiary of BT for 11 years and the prices have always been set independently - not to say that BT does not exert some influence.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 75433/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sat 28-Apr-18 20:55:37)

(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Apr-18 00:43:06
Print Post

You've lost me now Bob - I was referring to IDNet line only, one-month contract for £14 per month with seven add-ons such as caller display, with calls 1ppm. https://ibb.co/bGJWwx

Edited by professor973 (Sun 29-Apr-18 00:46:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 29-Apr-18 01:08:10
Print Post

smile
Ah, I see what you mean. But I didn’t get to see that, as on your original link I clicked on Home user, as it was defaulting to Business. The page you link to this time is the next step within the Business prices. Ex Vat.

(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Apr-18 11:57:28
Print Post

I didn't even notice the home & business tabs - just got a price. It didn't occur to me they default as a business provider with enquiries. Lol

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Apr-18 19:13:43
Print Post

Pulse8 is only £6 when bundled with broadband. Stand-alone like I and professor973 have is £13. Call 1p per minute, billed by the second. No call setup charges. Only 0.8p per minute off-peak.

If you are paying a biggie supplier for "Anytime”, or even E & W, think how many minutes that is. As for biggie costs outside E & W, look at the setup charge! 22p or something before you speak a word.

I totally agree the charges are stupid, I don't use landline anymore - mine was cut off Friday and now I am just with cable and mobile - Paying the £18,99 + setup fee on Plusnet was way too much for something I never used anyway
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 02-May-18 13:53:41
Print Post

Thank you, that explains it. I had to read the email twice, and thought: "So you're putting up my bill by a penny?" confused

Obviously a case of gain on swings, lose on roundabouts - they're just recouping the revenue from the element they're no longer allowed to charge for.

Yes, there are some increases in call charges too, but I don't make many outgoing calls, so it won't affect me that much.
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-May-18 11:52:34
Print Post

Mines 22.99 a month inclusive, which is the cheapest its been since 2014.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-May-18 12:31:31
Print Post

Another reason I don't find the £1 rise an issue (not just that I get back 99p anyway) is that I have had to phone tech support this week - twice. First time I got through in under a few minutes and the second time it was under 15 minutes but at peak time.

On both occasions the tech support agents were clear, friendly and knowledgeable. Now i haven't had that sort of level of support with a large ISP/Phone company for many years. I had come to expect it from ISP's like IDnet and I was concerned that i would really miss it when I moved.

So my view is even if PlusNet prices went up more than £1 it would still be good value. I also found that they were pro-active in keeping their customers on contract renewal where I saved around £7 a month.
Before any price rises my monthly outgoings to Plusnet are less than £40. That's Line, 80/20 fttc, Anytime calls, Caller Display.
I found Plusnet to be best value for me in all areas - this year anyway.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-May-18 09:55:07
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

So far this month I have had the pleasure of screwing PN out of 27TB of data and I intend to run up many many before I leave on the 13th wink

Happy days!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to