User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BB4Tickton
(experienced) Sat 28-Apr-18 08:24:05
Print Post

Market A exchange to Low Cost Area?

[link to this post]

Just had an email from PlusNet to say that at the end of May I will be classed as being in a low-cost area, which is great as I will be saving £7.50 per month, however is this something happening to others on a Market A exchange?

I've used the dslchecker from BT but this still says Market A exchange and no other info. Any other ways to tell what's going on?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Apr-18 09:02:18
Print Post

Re: Market A exchange to Low Cost Area?

[re: BB4Tickton] [link to this post]

New house builds meaning more lines? Why spend hours trying to find this out? - just enjoy the lower prices!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Apr-18 09:17:22
Print Post

Probably the exchange now has WBC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70512/13708Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kbturner
(member) Sat 28-Apr-18 12:20:25
Print Post

I too have had the email from Plusnet saying that at the end of May I will be classed as being in a low-cost area. I'm on Nettlebed exchange (THNB).

Forgive my ignorance, RobertoS, but what's WBC?
Standard User timl
(committed) Sat 28-Apr-18 12:38:28
Print Post

[re: kbturner] [link to this post]

Wholesale Broadband Connect?

Zen FTTC 65Mb load balanced with Sky Fibre 59Mb
Standard User BranH
(newbie) Sat 28-Apr-18 12:48:38
Print Post

BT wholesale showing Nettlebed as having WBC
Standard User kbturner
(member) Sat 28-Apr-18 13:23:53
Print Post

[re: BranH] [link to this post]

BT wholesale showing Nettlebed as having WBC

Can you please give me the URL for that?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Apr-18 13:42:20
Print Post

As timl says. It is the broadband part of 21CN. Initially it provided ADSL2+ from BT Wholesale. Nowadays all the FTTC stuff goes through WBC exchanges as well, though not necessarily the same exchange as your copper line.

A lot of Plusnet high cost exchanges were still 20CN, but BT Wholesale are upgrading those. 21CN wholesale prices are much lower than 20CN. Though Plusnet did continue to charge their higher price even when the upgrade happened frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70512/13708Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User BranH
(newbie) Sat 28-Apr-18 17:40:24
Print Post

I just put the exchange postcode (from SAMknows) into the BT Wholesale ADSL availability checker https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s...
,you could just use your phone number
Standard User kbturner
(member) Sat 28-Apr-18 20:26:18
Print Post

[re: BranH] [link to this post]

Having put my telephone number into the BT Broadband Avilability Checker, I am indeed presented with a screen showing Nettlebed as having WBC. However it still says my line is on a Market A exchange. Should I expect this to change over the next few weeks?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Apr-18 20:41:27
Print Post

No. Market categorisations change very rarely, and are determined by the number of suppliers that have their own equipment in the exchanges. (Except that Virgin Media cable also counts).

If there is just BT Wholesale and the ISPs that sell their WBC, then it is Market A. It needs there to be one of the ones on the samknows LLU list for the exchange for it to become Market B. If and when there is another Ofcom review. The last one was in 2014, the one before that 2010.

Changes in the suppliers between reviews don't alter the classification.

Few ISPs charge extra in Market A anyway. Plusnet did, possibly stiill do in some, and EE have or had an even stranger setup, where the exchanges that had Orange LLU are/were cheaper than all other exchanges.

Standard User 69bertie
(member) Sun 29-Apr-18 10:31:08
Print Post

Much the same with my exchange - Market 1. Now if I could get rid of having to pay any money at all for a phone I don't use, that really would be the icing on the cake but I'm certainly not going to sniff at the £7.50 a month saving.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 29-Apr-18 11:12:13
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

Market 1 etc classifications disappeared in 2014. Now Market A and Market B, with large numbers of Market 1 becoming Market B. Samknows just hasn't bothered to update any of them.

Ofcom lists. PDF pages 59-70 inclusive.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to