User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-May-18 12:13:21
Print Post

Noisy Line (Intermittent) question.

[link to this post]

I have both my Phone and Broadband with Plusnet, but since the weekend my line has not just been crackling but making squeaking sounds too.
I've run through all the checklist with Plusnet twice now, with tech support hearing the sound too. They have also run tests twice on the line and it comes back as No fault found! which of course is inaccurate.

My concern as always is the call out charge statement you have to agree to. Apparently PlusNet charges half the standard amount I believe (£65) if they deem the problem your fault.

A few years ago an OpenReach engineer replaced my master telephone socket in the bedroom from a "Contract" type socket to an NTE5 free of charge. The lounge socket is still of a "Contract" type but is definitely wired as a 3 wire slave.

I've tried a BT corded phone plugged straight into the built in NTE5 connection socket and the fault is still there.
It seems more likely to make these sort of door creaking noises if I phone out, rather than happening as much if someone phones me. My broadband too doesn't seem to be effected. But whilst it can be quite intermittent it makes listening to someone extremely difficult.

I'm guessing it'll end up being an issue of corrosion in my cab box as I've had similiar issues in the past.

What i wanted to specifically ask, is what is usually the culprit in most circumstances to cause odd noises on the line? Is it moisture in the cab boxes, poor connections in the same?

The other question I wanted to ask (as the engineer is coming out tomorrow) is that when the NTE5 was fitted would that indicate the Demarcation point now? The engineer at the time said that they were fitting NTE5's in properties like mine where the builders/electricians etc had fitted standard trade/contract phone points from new.
The reason I ask is that I know in this block of 12 flats that previously two floors were of open plan office space with I assume multiple lines coming in. I've seen a large-ish multicore cable in one of the buidings downstairs riser access panels and I had wondered if the demarcation point was originally there?

Thers's no more I can do fault finding wise and can only hope that it is in fact an easy to find issue in the Cab. Also it would be good to know if in fact the NTE5 does indeed indicate the demarcation point and it had been changed to indicate as such?
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-May-18 09:27:35
Print Post

Re: Noisy Line (Intermittent) question.

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

3 Wire slave? Do you mean the bell wire (ringer) is still connected?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-May-18 10:04:42
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

It doesnít matter at an extension. Only at the master.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 67717/13670Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-May-18 16:49:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Engineer called today and it was interesting to note that whilst he instigated the tests via his mobile to the exchange (new technology apparently - well to me anyway), the result was line was fine, even though it crackled away.

He left an oscillator on the line whilst he went off to check the local Cabinet and the exchange too.
End result was he changed over my pair to a new set on the Exchange side.

I asked about the third wire connection on the NTE5 but he said it was of the filtered type (the ring wire). That goes off to my slave socket.

I also learnt that when the NTE5 was fitted as my Master point in the flat, it was now deemed the Demarcation point, rather than the 50 pair that comes in to a riser on the ground floor.

I have noticed my Modem sync FTTC has dropped from around/closely to 80/20 and is now around 65/20 - I guess that will improve?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Edit Reason: Spelling

Edited by Vorlon (Fri 04-May-18 17:04:36)

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-May-18 07:04:34
Print Post

Unfortunately the crackling + drunk violin playing sound is back. Apparently the engineer found that the noise was on the exchange side so swapped to a newer cable pair. (1000 pair cable).
He wasn't 100% happy when he came back to collect his kit and suggested that there may still be a problem.

I'm hoping that a call to Plusnet will be simplified this time without having to go through their scripts seeing an engineer has already called.
My only concerns are possible charges as the fault is more intermittent now and both the Plusnet line test aswell as the engineers home test reported the line to be ok.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-May-18 07:48:22
Print Post

Are you reporting a broadband fault, or an audible noisy line problem? What sort of fault report are Plusnet submitting? An engineer testing for broadband faults is not what you want.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 67717/13670Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-18 07:52:09
Print Post

I wonder if thatís being caused by duff PSTN equipment in the exchange ?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-18 08:43:34
Print Post

Morning Bob,

the OP mentions PN not seeing a fault, so expect they are raising CDTA tasks ...

Conscious Decision To Appoint

Voice fault.

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-May-18 12:26:15
Print Post

"I asked about the third wire connection on the NTE5 but he said it was of the filtered type (the ring wire). That goes off to my slave socket."

Seems like the 3rd wire does go from the master to the slave unless I'm reading it wrong.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-May-18 12:35:02
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
"I asked about the third wire connection on the NTE5 but he said it was of the filtered type (the ring wire). That goes off to my slave socket."

Seems like the 3rd wire does go from the master to the slave unless I'm reading it wrong.
From the description it is from the back of a filtered faceplate. The filter also filters the ring wire. But I just had another thought.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-May-18 12:47:05
Print Post

Just had a thought about "A few years ago an OpenReach engineer replaced my master telephone socket in the bedroom from a "Contract" type socket to an NTE5 free of charge. The lounge socket is still of a "Contract" type but is definitely wired as a 3 wire slave.

I've tried a BT corded phone plugged straight into the built in NTE5 connection socket and the fault is still there"

Do you mean he fitted an NTE5 that looks like the picture on this page? If so, which "built-in NTE5 connection socket" did you use? If you just removed the lower faceplate, you hadn't reach the Test socket. See MrSaffron's description of how to get to it.

It's unlikely it will make any difference, but you can never be sure.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-18 15:10:53
Print Post

NTEís a few years back had a bell wire choke built in ...

thereíll be a small cylinder near the extension terminals on the front plate.

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-May-18 20:20:06
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
NTEís a few years back had a bell wire choke built in ...

thereíll be a small cylinder near the extension terminals on the front plate.

Yes Zarjaz one of those. (The plastic structure looks like the outline of a vertically mounted choke)
My NTE5 doesn't have the intermediate plate as shown on Mr Saffons site. (Personally I'm glad I don't have one of those)

Plus yes it is a speech fault and OpenReach are coming out again on Thursday.

I was concerned about charges because PlusNet's tests deemed the line as OK, even though they could hear the crackling. Then when the engineer called he initated the tests at the exchange via his mobile and again the line was reading as OK even though it was crackling away.

Even though I was told by PlusNet that calls to them are recorded , It crossed my mind if they had scope to record a noisy line or even just acknowledge that they had heard it? Then, could/would this confirmation of a noisy line be able to be passed on to OpenReach aswell as them aware that the Telco (Plusnet) had gone through the standard faultfinding checklist. I can't help think it would help in avoiding unnecessary charges. Of course, the line might not be noisy at the time of reporting it to your Telco - but a thought anyway.

Edited by Vorlon (Tue 08-May-18 22:35:43)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-May-18 07:18:16
Print Post

I was concerned about charges because PlusNet's tests deemed the line as OK, even though they could hear the crackling. Then when the engineer called he initated the tests at the exchange via his mobile and again the line was reading as OK even though it was crackling away.

Openreach drums an ethic of 'If the pair quality test (the one the engineer ran) is OK, then that's that' when of course the truth lies elsewhere .......
Even though I was told by PlusNet that calls to them are recorded , It crossed my mind if they had scope to record a noisy line or even just acknowledge that they had heard it? Then, could/would this confirmation of a noisy line be able to be passed on to OpenReach aswell as them aware that the Telco (Plusnet) had gone through the standard faultfinding checklist. I can't help think it would help in avoiding unnecessary charges. Of course, the line might not be noisy at the time of reporting it to your Telco - but a thought anyway.

You'd like to think so, but I expect it would end up in all manner of disputes.

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-May-18 12:48:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I've been expecting someone to be coming out this afternoon from OpenReach, but as I haven't received any texts from the engineer as I did last time to notify me of his progress, I've just given Plusnet a call.

Apparently although I was told someone would call, the "notes" apparently suggest that OpenReach need to use a Field engineer and that the fault is outside the property - so no need for me to be here. (Although that isn't an issue as such)

EDIT: Call from assigned Engineer to tell me someone has already effectively swapped my copper line over from particular panel/equipment in the exchange and he was going to check out line on Exchange side again.
So I'm not sure why he got another job on my line if someone had already done additional work in the exchange. Neither am I sure if the first engineers report instigated seperate work to be done at the exchange, or my second call to Plusnet (fault continuining) got someone to check out the exchange based on the first engineers report.

Nevertheless I have been really impressed with PlusNet's support and also impressed with OpenReach's quick response.
One thing I have noticed since the last fault issue I had some several years ago, is that communication between OpenReach and the End User is very good and much more informative.

Hopefully my line will be sorted now, although it was intermittent.

Edited by Vorlon (Thu 10-May-18 19:57:39)

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-May-18 13:40:38
Print Post

PlusNet update to me today reads:-

*INTERNAL*
Main Fault Location: LN (Fault located in local network)
Fault Code: NDT (No Dial Tone)
Clear Code: 51.3
Clear Message: Remote Clear
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to