User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Conrad3000
(member) Mon 16-Jul-18 15:35:18
Print Post

PN Copyright Infringement email?

[link to this post]

Hi all.

I know it's not just PN that's sending these out if you're guilty of whatever they're alleging, but what would happen if you constantly kept on ignoring these infringements?

Would the courts get involved? Or even the film/music business?

Thanks.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Jul-18 16:14:31
Print Post

Re: PN Copyright Infringement email?

[re: Conrad3000] [link to this post]

I believe PlusNet send them because they are instructed to. If ignored then I would expect to the recipient to be taken to court at some point.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Jul-18 16:26:53
Print Post

The IP addresses are collected from peer to peer networks by the music/film industry. They then pass them to the ISPs so they can ask their customers to modify their online behaviour.

The music/film industry certainly can apply to obtain the names and addresses of the owners of the IP addresses in order to sue as they have done in the past. It's likely that ignoring repeated infringement warnings would not play too well in court for the defendant.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Conrad3000
(member) Mon 16-Jul-18 17:13:38
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Thanks guys. And I read somewhere that these warnings last for about 20 days; after that you're back to square one...i.e it's as if you never downloaded in the first place. And after 12 months the records get deleted permanently. Is there any truth to this?

Also is it the uploading that causes the issue, not the actual download?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Jul-18 17:26:17
Print Post

I'm not sure about the time period records are kept for but yes, the infringement specifically relates to uploading copyright material to other people (as peer to peer software normally does).

Oliver.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Jul-18 11:50:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Conrad3000:
Hi all.

I know it's not just PN that's sending these out if you're guilty of whatever they're alleging, but what would happen if you constantly kept on ignoring these infringements?

Would the courts get involved? Or even the film/music business?

Thanks.

A guy I used to work with when I was at Plusnet (Kevin) got a letter demanding about 3K for downloading Colin Mccrae Dirt (or face court action)- I can still recall his face as he showed me the letter- and we were tech support - he should have known better!

Ignore it at your peril..

Edited by 23Prince (Fri 20-Jul-18 11:53:29)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Jul-18 11:52:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Conrad3000:
Thanks guys. And I read somewhere that these warnings last for about 20 days; after that you're back to square one...i.e it's as if you never downloaded in the first place. And after 12 months the records get deleted permanently. Is there any truth to this?

Also is it the uploading that causes the issue, not the actual download?

Yes it's uploading (sharing) where you get into hot water - I can't think of 1 case where someone has been taken to court for using USENET - maybe someone can come up with one?

GCHQ keep all internet records for 12 months - not sure what happens after that.
  Print Thread

Jump to