User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User astanden
(member) Sat 15-Sep-18 09:27:46
Print Post

Billing

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

Iím looking at Plusnet as a viable alternative to BT.

With Bt, I pay online by debit card each month after each bill arrives. This does cost a little extra each month but I prefer it to Direct Debit as I donít like DD for variable amounts.

Will Plusnet let me do this or do I have to pay by DD each month?

Thanks

Adam

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram 2TB Fusion drive
iPad Air 2 64GB
iPhone 7 128GB
BT Infinity 80/20 Unlimited
Huawei Openreach VDSL modem/Apple Time Capsule
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Sep-18 12:53:17
Print Post

Re: Billing

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

There is a £1.50 surcharge per transaction for paying by debit/credit card. The whole point of Direct Debits is that they are variable and you get notified of the amount before the payment is taken. Life's too short to be faffing around with manual payments for everything.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 75433/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User astanden
(member) Sat 15-Sep-18 13:11:05
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Thankyou Kasg,

Unfortunately I have been double charged a couple of times and only found out when my bank told me I had gone overdrawn.

Regards,

Adam

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram 2TB Fusion drive
iPad Air 2 64GB
iPhone 7 128GB
BT Infinity 80/20 Unlimited
Huawei Openreach VDSL modem/Apple Time Capsule

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Sep-18 13:15:48
Print Post

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

I can't remember the last time that happened to me but even if it did you would be fully protected against any costs incurred.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 75433/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 15-Sep-18 16:11:33
Print Post

Are you sure? I don't believe that is true any longer. I used to pay a £1 premium, I think it was, for paying by card, so I switched to direct debit.

BUT, in the past year or so, maybe longer, the law was changed, outlawing such penalties for paying by card, so I reverted to paying how I always wanted and used to - by credit card.

I believe I checked at the time with PN that there was no longer a surcharge, so I'd be very surprised and displeased to find I've been incurring one. I don't see it on the bill anywhere.

I believe the OP can do it exactly the way he proposes.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Sep-18 19:13:16
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

You could well be right, the information I saw was from 2017. I must admit I didn't think the change in the law applied to things like that, this page suggests you can offer a discount for paying by Direct Debit, which amounts to the same thing:
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/p...

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 75119/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 15-Sep-18 19:50:06
Print Post

Whilst it may "amount to the same thing", Plusnet was applying an explicit surcharge for card payments, NOT offering money off your phone calls or broadband if you agree to direct debit. I had to Google the date of the law change - it was January.

I wouldn't expect PN to exactly advertise that you can now pay how you like without being surcharged. They probably still push DD as the default, and hope not too many rail against it.

Edit: I should probably add, for the benefit of the original poster, that I'm NOT sure it's possible to manually pay every month.

My payments are still automatic - they're just charged to my credit card instead of DD. So in theory, just as open to the OP's worry about being mischarged/charged twice. I've never had it happen, though, and credit cards have protection against unauthorised charges, just as direct debit has.

Edited by TLM (Sat 15-Sep-18 19:58:08)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Sep-18 23:47:03
Print Post

With Direct Debits you can just call your bank and ask them to get the Direct Debit back. I have done this.

Michael Chare
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Mon 17-Sep-18 07:10:12
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Here are the rules for DD:
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/p...

That is an absolute guarantee. I too have asked my bank to reverse an incorrect DD. They did it immediately and without question.

There is no reason at all to be wary of DDs unless your financial management is so poor that you've no idea what transactions are happening on your account.
Standard User zaggie
(learned) Mon 17-Sep-18 17:43:08
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TLM:
My payments are still automatic - they're just charged to my credit card instead of DD. So in theory, just as open to the OP's worry about being mischarged/charged twice. I've never had it happen, though, and credit cards have protection against unauthorised charges, just as direct debit has.

Automatic payment by credit card may not be as safe as direct debits.

The Financial Conduct Authority says ....

"Whilst you might have heard of direct debits and standing orders, continuous payment authorities are slightly different. They do not offer the same guarantee as direct debits and give the company taking the payment more flexibility about when and how much it takes from your account."

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-stories/continuous-...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to