User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Dec-18 12:51:28
Print Post

Re: Suspected personal information leak

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Thanks Sarah. That's a possibility. I expect my details were still present although I left in August 2015.

Even if they weren't transferred to the new system a leak like that could still have disclosed them, and they may be keeping them for seven years anyway.

Though it would add another coincidence. That a Plusnet customer is involved in some way in the scam.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Dec-18 13:37:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I get no spam to my unlimited email addy paid-for domain but when I was with Freeserve I had an unlimited email addy sub-domain of theirs & got a fair amount of spam to my unique email addys that I gave to various online sites like insurance, comparison sites,

Once I started receiving spam to a particular email addy of mine, I just coded a filter into my mail client using 2 rules for each occurrence (using your case here):
  1. If To: or CC: == Your email addy given to PN Then Continue to next rule.
  2. If From: != PN's domain Then Delete from Server.
Thus never even seeing further spam.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 17-Dec-18 13:52:32)

Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Mon 17-Dec-18 16:59:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
My email address used is one I provided to Plusnet on signup to notify me of upcoming Direct Debits and such. Also used for the Community forums. It is unique to Plusnet and never provided to any other contact.

There is the possibility that it was harvested while in transit at some point. Seen that happen.

Also the little f"£$^ers guess stuff, so plusnet@mydomain.com is tried randomly just in case it might work.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Mon 17-Dec-18 17:20:00
Print Post

Nope. At some point that email was used to send you an email. That email most likely went through a server that was not controlled by either you or plusnet. If that server was compromised then your email address could have been harvested. It could also have been compromised from a plusnet email relay without any other details being compromised.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Dec-18 18:35:17
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Blocking that, or any specific, email address isn't the point of this thread. Nor is it difficult - I am not clueless.

It is the fact that my home address may also have been obtained, and the threat of an acid attack with a demand for several thousand dollars in bitcoin is rather more serious that the usual ransomware.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Dec-18 18:36:29
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Also the little f"£$^ers guess stuff, so plusnet@mydomain.com is tried randomly just in case it might work.
I am not that stupid. As explained above.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Dec-18 18:48:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It is the fact that my home address may also have been obtained, and the threat of an acid attack with a demand for several thousand dollars in bitcoin is rather more serious that the usual ransomware.

One to report to your local constabulary.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User sneekyhen
(learned) Mon 17-Dec-18 18:48:55
Print Post

Funnily enough Plusnet are changing their Email from POP to IMAP ? https://community.plus.net/t5/Service-Information/We...
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Dec-18 18:58:24
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Nope. At some point that email was used to send you an email. That email most likely went through a server that was not controlled by either you or plusnet. If that server was compromised then your email address could have been harvested. It could also have been compromised from a plusnet email relay without any other details being compromised.

I think that is far more likely than a Plusnet data breach. The majority of spam I get I believe is due to email addresses having got out "into the wild" in transit rather than through a data breach.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 17-Dec-18 19:15:25
Print Post

[re: sneekyhen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sneekyhen:
Plusnet are changing their Email from POP to IMAP

Where does it say that? I can see they're going to prevent people from using their own email servers but no mention of POP3/IMAP. Am I looking and simply not seeing (again)?

Edited by longedge (Mon 17-Dec-18 19:16:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to