User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Dec-18 15:05:58
Print Post

Re: VAT Invoices versus Entertainment Packages

[re: 50pence] [link to this post]

When was the last time you changed packages as I assume you aren't on the same package you were on 15 years ago? If you have changed packages (which I think you have) then you would have accepted the new Ts&Cs when you signed up to the new package - if you know when you last signed up to the package then you could try looking at the wayback machine to see if they have the Ts&Cs as they were at that time.

You may not think you need 2 different packages but with PlusNet you do. You may not like it but that is PlusNet's terms, you either accept them, get PlusNet to change them or go elsewhere.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Dec-18 15:07:50
Print Post

[re: teshy] [link to this post]

However, if they are charging VAT then I thought they are required to provide a VAT breakdown along with VAT number.
From the link I posted earlier they only have to provide a VAT invoice where both the supplier and customer are VAT registered - but as the connection is not allowed to be used for business use then the customer cannot be a business - so no VAT invoice needed in law (maybe). I believe a VAT invoice should legally be provided in this case but I also believe PlusNet could then cancel the service due to breaking Ts&Cs.

Edited by ian72 (Thu 20-Dec-18 15:08:45)

Standard User sheephouse
(member) Thu 20-Dec-18 17:59:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I changed from a residential to a business tariff a few months ago as I work from home full time (and therefore the use of a residential account is against Plusnet's T&Cs). I don't actually need a VAT invoice. In fact I don't need anything different to the residential account (which is just as well, as there is no difference other than the T&Cs allow working from home and the availability of VAT invoices).
However, the use of a business account means that Plusnet TV isn't available. Requiring a home-based worker to have two different accounts is just ridiculous. I now realise it was a mistake to stay with Plusnet, so I'll move as soon as I'm out of contract (maybe sooner).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 20-Dec-18 19:42:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by 50pence:
Though a business product offers no advantages over a residential product, .
I think you will find it has a reasonable SLA, where the residential basically has none.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Fri 21-Dec-18 10:05:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

From asking about the SLA, I understand that telephone has elevated priority, but broadband fix time is exactly the same as residential (unless you pay extra) apart from the fact you can report a problem 24/7.
One other difference is that there is traffic management on a business connection - however as almost all my traffic goes through a VPN that won't have any effect.
Edit: I just checked the business SLA - "For the Standard Care service level Plusnet aim to respond to faults within 8 hours. However there is no Service Level Guarantee (SLG) on fault resolution." To me that is pretty much the same as no SLA at all, especially when they "respond" by putting the ticket on hold for several days.

Edited by sheephouse (Fri 21-Dec-18 12:27:48)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Dec-18 11:25:41
Print Post

How long ago did you sign up?

I can't remember a time (going back 15+ years) when they didn't have separate business and residential products. And they've had something in their T&Cs/acceptable use policy about not using residential for business use for as long as I can remember.

I've just had a quick dip in the Web Archive - WayBack Machine and found this in their acceptable use policy from October 2007.
ANNEXE 1
ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY

1. Application of the Service

1.1 You are required to sign-up to an appropriate account type depending on your required utilisation. Home accounts are provided for Consumers. If you wish to use your account commercially then you must sign-up to a Business account or Teleworker account where appropriate. For guidance, we consider commercial use to be at a level above that which is running a part time Business or supporting any kind of hobby. Business accounts must be used if the account is to be used from any official Business Premises while Teleworkers are considered to be commercial use of a residential connection.

If a business wants to set a policy of restricting a particular service to residential users only it is up to them. Nobody is forcing you to use that service. If you don't agree with the T&Cs for the service you are considering you take your custom elsewhere. Plusnet are far from being the only ISP that enforces this policy by not providing VAT invoices.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Sat 22-Dec-18 14:31:53
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
Plusnet are far from being the only ISP that enforces this policy by not providing VAT invoices.

Indeed. I'm a 'one man' Ltd company. I have an EE business mobile phone account, that provides a VAT invoice, while 'personal' accounts don't. My wife's Three mobile account has no VAT details either.

Devil and deep blue sea here. HMRC don't like the idea of VAT being claimed back for anything 'entertainment' related (which includes buying drinks for clients etc), and Plusnet don't like the idea of consumer accounts being used for business purposes.
Standard User 50pence
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Dec-18 20:13:00
Print Post

[re: teshy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by teshy:
The point is that it is quite legitimate to do some work at home plus social media, book holidays, online shopping and watch movies and you should not need have two different BB services to achieve this.

Also, if someone is claiming an internet subscription fee as a tax-deductible business expense and/or for VAT claim purposes and then also uses that internet connection for leisure purposes then HMRC could arguably claim that it can't be offset against tax / business expense.

The point is that you only claim the proportion of the cost that is used for business, so you claim the VAT on, say, 25% of the broadband cost though you don't claim at all in respect of the entertainment cost.

Paperless office - Never! | Wireless home - April 2004.

ISP: plusnet
Standard User 50pence
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Dec-18 20:21:37
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

Thanks for the various replies.

The key point is that PlusNet's residential T&C's allow some home working though they don't provide VAT invoices.

To get a VAT invoice you need a business product though with that you cannot get the entertainment packages.

So to get both VAT invoices and entertainment packages you need to separate connections even though you will only use one at a time - totally ridiculous!

Paperless office - Never! | Wireless home - April 2004.

ISP: plusnet
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Mon 24-Dec-18 09:29:28
Print Post

Thanks for the various replies.

The key point is that PlusNet's residential T&C's allow some home working though they don't provide VAT invoices.

To get a VAT invoice you need a business product though with that you cannot get the entertainment packages.

So to get both VAT invoices and entertainment packages you need to separate connections even though you will only use one at a time - totally ridiculous!

Not ridiculous IMHO - sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it!

You want an entertainment package - get a residential service and pay the VAT like most of us who aren't able to claim VAT back. Even if we use only 1MB per month we still have to pay the VAT, so why shouldn't you?

Get over it!

Edit: I forgot to mention, PlusNet are unlikely to know you're using your residential service for business unless you tell them!

FTTP 80/20 Mbps

Edited by Rastus (Mon 24-Dec-18 09:32:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to