User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ady702
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-19 18:14:17
Print Post

Plusnet router/modem

[link to this post]

Hi guys

looking to move to Plusnet soon as I would like to upgrade from my 11mb connection! I am currently using a Billion 7800N, is the supplied Hub from PN any good or is it best to get another one?

Thanks
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Sun 06-Jan-19 18:52:10
Print Post

Re: Plusnet router/modem

[re: ady702] [link to this post]

I wouldn't dream of using ISP supplied modem/routers. The PlusNet Hub One is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5A so rather old and using an inferior chipset (Infineon) Assuming you are upgrading to FTTC you need a modem/router with a Broadcom chipset. I use the Openreach Huawei HG612 3B running in bridge mode with an enterprise grade Lancom Router, Works well for me. Some members of this forum claim the HG612 is old and failing but if it works satisfactorily there is no reason to change it.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Sun 06-Jan-19 18:53:41)

Standard User ady702
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-19 18:58:17
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

can i just get a Openreach Huawei HG612 and use that then, just looking for something easy to use like the 7800n? Yes upgrading to FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Sun 06-Jan-19 19:27:57
Print Post

Yes you will need the VDSL2 modem such as the Hg612 because the Billion is not compatible, it only has ADSL2+ modem but you can use the WAN port to connect to a VDSL2 modem. The HG612 3B modems are no longer supplied by Openreach but are available on a well known auction site. They can be quite easily be unlocked so that full line stats are accessible.
Standard User ady702
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-19 19:36:22
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Thanks Realalemadrid I will have a look around at the modem
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jan-19 21:00:28
Print Post

You might want to skim my thread here as Iíve just replaced a 6 year old HG612 with a ZyXEL box that connects to my router. The XyZEL gets 5mbps better sync and has a web page showing stats without any unlocking.

It is however £105 on amazon rather than cheaper (but used) on eBay.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/f/4608747...

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync highest was 61/8 now 54/6
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 06-Jan-19 21:00:46)

Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Mon 07-Jan-19 08:18:09
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I use a TP-LINK N600. It may not be the best modem/router in the world but it works just fine for me.

When I first got fibre PN were still supplying a clunky separate modem and router solution. Can't remember what they were but the wifi was poor.
Standard User 50pence
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Jan-19 11:15:12
Print Post

I'd always used third party routers rather than those supplied the ISP though since going fibre I've found the Hub One to be great, reliable, strong WiFi on 2ghz and 5 ghz. No need to spend on another router IMO.

Paperless office - Never! | Wireless home - April 2004.

ISP: plusnet
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Jan-19 12:05:44
Print Post

[re: 50pence] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 50pence:
No need to spend on another router IMO.

I bet you would if you needed features such as

- DFS channels on the 5ghz band (very useful if you live in a heavily congested wifi environment)
- VPN server/client
- tri band wifi (very useful if you've got a ton of 5ghz wifi clients)
- Device bandwidth prioritization, eg for VOIP or gaming applications where latency is critical
- setup of Dynamic DNS for noip.com etc (in case you have a dynamic IP & need such a service)

I'm not aware of any mass ISP supplied router which offers most of the above, but happy to be corrected smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Phicomm K3

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 07-Jan-19 12:07:18)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jan-19 13:11:59
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

But the majority of users do stick with the ISP supplied device. Unless someone has specific requirements that aren't met it surely is worth just trying the ISP device - if it falls short then they will know where it falls short which will help to select a replacement - if it does enough for what they need then they could save a few quid.

I have no problem with people replacing their devices but if someone hasn't tried the ISP device or hasn't specific requirements that are know to be unsupported then they could just be wasting their money.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to