User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Jan-19 13:25:46
Print Post

Re: Plusnet router/modem

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
But the majority of users do stick with the ISP supplied device. Unless someone has specific requirements that aren't met it surely is worth just trying the ISP device - if it falls short then they will know where it falls short which will help to select a replacement - if it does enough for what they need then they could save a few quid.

I have no problem with people replacing their devices but if someone hasn't tried the ISP device or hasn't specific requirements that are know to be unsupported then they could just be wasting their money.

I did say "if" wink

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Phicomm K3
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jan-19 13:30:07
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Indeed - and it was a good list.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 07-Jan-19 13:35:17
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Not arguing with that at all but it is beyond me that sometimes people refuse a 'free' router even if they wish to run their own. It surely must be good to have a spare just in case.

For my part, the +Net HomeHub fufills all my needs perfectly (now that I put my original modem back and bypassed the inbuilt modem which was disconnecting dozens of times a day).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User unladenSwallow
(newbie) Mon 07-Jan-19 13:51:59
Print Post

[re: ady702] [link to this post]

I have Plusnet FTTC and for two years I was using the Hub One they supplied. It worked adequately. I replaced it with an Asus DSL-AC68U when I needed a little more wireless range and I wanted more control over the router. I didn't notice any change in the line speed.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Mon 07-Jan-19 14:18:57
Print Post

Depends on what you want. I want reliable connection at fair price. I was in your situation last year with Billion 7800N which burned out after two year warranty expired -- from forums, a common problem. £80 the poorer, I went back to the PN supplied ADSL router which worked just as well as the Billion both giving 10-12Mb depending on time of day.

At renewal Plusnet gave me fibre at same price as ADSL and their PN One/HH5 gives steady 35Mb from the day it was plugged in. Does all I want.

Edited by Malwaremike (Mon 07-Jan-19 15:57:46)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jan-19 14:39:15
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Taking the ISP one and using it during initial connection is a good idea, since you have what the script readers expect, and also useful at a later date as a spare or when reporting a fault.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ady702
(newbie) Mon 07-Jan-19 18:22:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply guys, I will get the ISP free one anyway and try it (spare) out for abit to see if I "need" to upgrade it.

My Billion has been goind strong for about 5/6 years now, wifi is abit dodgy but not had any major problems with it.
Standard User ady702
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-19 18:13:22
Print Post

Do I need to tell my current provide I am changing or do Plusnet take care of that? migration etc?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:07:41
Print Post

Migrations just need you to order from the new ISP the old ISP is told in the background and you'll get a sorry you are leaving letter which should detail any outstanding payments and may even offer you a deal if you stay

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:18:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Migrations just need you to order from the new ISP the old ISP is told in the background and you'll get a sorry you are leaving letter which should detail any outstanding payments and may even offer you a deal if you stay
I thought that letter cannot contain inducements to remain? The losing ISP can only offer such if the user requests them to.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to