User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bemused_Mike
(member) Thu 02-Aug-12 22:42:44
Print Post

A router issue?

[link to this post]

Hello again everyone. smile

So, I have been with the Post Office for a good five months now. On the whole things have been pretty good. I have no complaints really about either the service or the customer support, which for me has been first rate. There is one thing however I am having issues with and that is the supplied router.

I am on my second Zyxel router now, after the first one completely died on me, and initially I had it connected to an extension socket upstairs. The trouble is it kept disconnecting constantly. So after speaking to customer support, I had to migrate the thing downstairs into the living room and connect it to the test sockect to get a stable connection. There it has stayed for the last month and a half/two months without dropping off once.

Now apart from the fact that having the router in the living room isn't really practical, there is something that has been bothering me since I moved things around. During the interim time between the death of router number one and receiving router number two, I set up my trusty Billion Bipac 7800 upstairs to get by. For the whole time it was in use it never dropped the broadband connection once, so it came as a great disappointment to me, when I set up Zyxel router number two upstairs and it started playing up. The question I would love to know the answer to is why? Why did my Billion router work fine upstairs without issue, but the Zyxel router couldn't? Can anyone offer any theories because I just don't know.
Standard User professor973
(member) Fri 03-Aug-12 00:20:26
Print Post

Re: A router issue?

[re: Bemused_Mike] [link to this post]

If you refer to the constantly disconnecting thread, you will see like many of us you have already found the answer Cos it's rubbish!
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4143685-r...

Edited by professor973 (Fri 03-Aug-12 00:24:18)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Aug-12 01:04:40
Print Post

You Not Hiding your Light under a Bushel, Are you?

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

The post (your post) to which you link does not address OP's Q. It's useless to OP.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Fri 03-Aug-12 01:08:30
Print Post

Possibly the Billion is relatively happy at the end of the extension and can handle interference with the adsl signal better than the Zyxel.

I would imagine that customer support suspected possible problems with your internal wiring and suggested trying a connection directly into the test socket in order to eliminated that as the cause of your broadband issues. That did appear to resolve the problem for a while until the 1st Zyxel packed up...

Might be a good idea to connect the Billion at both locations, i.e. firstly at the test socket and secondly at the end of the extension, in order to test the relative qualities of both connections?
(member) Fri 03-Aug-12 01:16:12
Print Post

No, but you obviously are.

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The OP question was:- The question I would love to know the answer to is why? Why did my Billion router work fine upstairs without issue, but the Zyxel router couldn't? Can anyone offer any theories because I just don't know.
So I would think that others found it is rubbish compared to the Billion is an easily understood answer To some at any rate.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Aug-12 01:31:13
Print Post

Re: You Not Hiding your Light under a Bushel, Are you?

In reply to a post by professor973:
So I would think that others found it is rubbish compared to the Billion is an easily understood answer
Exactly! Others but not your post which makes no such point.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(member) Fri 03-Aug-12 08:23:15
Print Post

No, But you obviously are!

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
So I would think that others found it is rubbish compared to the Billion is an easily understood answer

Were you lucky enough to be born stupid, or did you have to study? The link I gave, WAS TO ONE OF MY POSTS in another thread, where we were ALL discussing the poor PO router. Like the OP here, I had found the Billion much better and stated like me he had already found the answer, so just how out of context was that?
Who was it that said a hobby borders insanity?

Edited by professor973 (Fri 03-Aug-12 08:28:19)

Standard User flippery
(regular) Fri 03-Aug-12 09:23:29
Print Post

Re: No, But you obviously are!

Were you lucky enough to be born stupid, or did you have to study? The link I gave, WAS TO ONE OF MY POSTS in another thread, where we were ALL discussing the poor PO router. Like the OP here, I had found the Billion much better and stated like me he had already found the answer, so just how out of context was that?

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. No need to be aggressive.
(member) Fri 03-Aug-12 10:01:49
Print Post

Re: No, But you obviously are!

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. No need to be aggressive.

I never fire the first shot and always treat others as I feel they have treated me. A very good rule of thumb drummed into me many many years ago. Unfortunately, it often clashes with a sense of humor failure.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-Aug-12 13:33:15
Print Post

Was there a ring wire to the extension, that may not have helped things.

But finding one router copes with a line, when another does not is a very common thing. The software in each router is different, and thus how they handle noise spikes is very different. The billion may simply see the noise as an error and wait for it to go away, whereas zyxel twitch and resync in an attempt to find a better speed that may be more stable.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to