User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Flint
(member) Tue 12-Nov-13 09:27:01
Print Post

Router connection problem - help please!

[link to this post]

I have an elderly relative who has Post Office broadband. She has been using a LAN connection to a laptop from a non-wireless Netgear modem from the PO. (Probably supplied years ago!). She has now bought a tablet and wants wireless.

I had a new boxed Plusnet router so fitted that. I used password on the box and it does connect. However, it says there is an authorisation problem if I try to connect to the net.

What have I missed? Do I need to put her PO details in somewhere? If so, she hasn't got (lost?) any password details or anything. Calling the PO helpline has been unsuccessful. Never get through.

Help anyone?

Thanks.
Standard User brandscill
(member) Tue 12-Nov-13 10:17:40
Print Post

Re: Router connection problem - help please!

[re: Flint] [link to this post]

You will need to enter the PPPoE address and password into the router.

Unfortunately if you've lost these details the only way you'll be able to get them is from the post office. Have to just stay on hold till someone picks up. The only way you may be able to avoid this is if the netgear modem has them available and displays the password in plain text (unlikely)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Nov-13 12:49:47
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

More likely PPPoA

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/33-ne... shows what to do for Netgear hardware, old review but Netgear interfaces are largely still the same.

An alternative is to add a wireless access point and leave the ISP supplied router in place e.g. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User professor973
(experienced) Tue 12-Nov-13 20:55:46
Print Post

You need to enter PO connection settings and password. these are different. You will need to browse into the router and set those. Phone PO and they will give you the settings,
Username will be in the form firstname.surname20.postoffice@mypostoffice.com
That is if things have not changed since the TT hookup.

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User Flint
(member) Wed 13-Nov-13 23:36:27
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Thanks Guys,

All sorted; nearly an hour on the phone to PO tech before it was answered but I did manage to get the required address and password.

F
Standard User brandscill
(member) Thu 14-Nov-13 00:20:05
Print Post

Good stuff, it's a painful process but hopefully you shouldn't need to ring them again!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Nov-13 00:40:09
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brandscill:
hopefully you shouldn't need to ring them again!
But best keep a note of them somewhere. Nowadays most ISPs tend to send out with routers all their credentials on a credit-card sized card.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User brandscill
(member) Thu 14-Nov-13 09:52:03
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by brandscill:
hopefully you shouldn't need to ring them again!
But best keep a note of them somewhere. Nowadays most ISPs tend to send out with routers all their credentials on a credit-card sized card.

Hopefully the Post Office will soon as well.
  Print Thread

Jump to