User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Allan1
(member) Sat 16-Nov-13 18:41:02
Print Post

Any ideas on what is wrong with this

[link to this post]

Hi,
My recently widowed neighbour gets her phone and broadband through the Post Office but the broadband hasn't worked for a couple of weeks now. As she is a technophobe I've been trying to assist her and thought that the problem might have been that there was no DNS (see this thread but I was mistaken. She got through to the technical support helpline and they said someone would phone her at 7 on Thursday evening if I could be there to mess about with the router settings etc. Went round on Thursday and by the time it reached 7:45 we decided that they mustn't be going to ring. Dead batteries on 3 telephone extensions later at about 10pm we managed to get an answer from the technical support people who went through the normal turning router on/off, turning firewalls off, running tests on the line etc. No joy.
I've now tried the connection with 3 different routers and 2 different computers. The modems all say that there's an ADSL connection but no combination of router/computer will connect to the internet. Anyone got any ideas what could be the cause? I'm fairly sure that the problem must lie somewhere on the network outside her house but I've no idea what it could be.
Thanks
Allan

Al
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Nov-13 19:46:41
Print Post

Re: Any ideas on what is wrong with this

[re: Allan1] [link to this post]

If the ASDL line stats look sensible and its not authenticating, then probably the migration from the old BT Wholesale platform to TalkTalk wholesale platforms has messed up

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Allan1
(member) Sat 16-Nov-13 20:48:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,
Yes, When I check her line with another ADSL provider it says that a MAC code would be required for her to migrate and I guess that means that the broadband is still with BT, but the exchange has TalkTalk's LLU installed so I'd have thought her line would have moved to them. But in that case would the problem not have manifested itself earlier than 2 weeks ago - or are their line migrations not done all at the same time?
Thanks
Allan

Al

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Nov-13 20:59:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Allan1:
When I check her line with another ADSL provider it says that a MAC code would be required for her to migrate and I guess that means that the broadband is still with BT,
No, it doesn't! It just means other ISP asks for MAC regardless. They won't know who har ISP is. Do they give a speed estimate? If so it means her landline is still BT WLR. So she can't be on TT Full LLU.

If the ADSL line stats look sensible then the issue can't be in her house unless the connection between router and PC has been broken.

Post the full router stats, including any 'Connected/Not Connected' indications. What does logs say?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Allan1
(member) Sat 16-Nov-13 21:17:33
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi,
When I looked at the router status page the ADSL said 'Showtime and a connection speed of around 8 meg. Can't remember the actual text from her router logs. I'll have to go across and copy what it says onto my laptop then come back home to post it where I can get a decent connection to my own network - as she's at the limit of my wifi range and the connection drops out too often if I try to connect from over there. I'm going to have to try again on Monday maybe as I have to go out and help the poor publicans in my village to stay in business smile
cheers
Allan

Al
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Nov-13 21:25:54
Print Post

Remember also that TalkTalk Wholesale services are not exclusively full LLU either.

On the issue of when, the migrations have been ongoing and it could be something as daft as line got missed and was left with BT Wholesale and that login has been turned off, or as fun as the line was moved on the day things broke but the authentication was not carried across.

NOTE: If it is a case of a few sites working, then the issue may actually be the wrong MTU - usually seen as normal HTTP sites work, but secure HTTPS stuff does not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Nov-13 21:34:11
Print Post

It may not be on the main 'Showtime' stats page, but on my Orange router it shows separately:
Broadband Type: ADSL
Broadband State: Connected
Internet State: Connected

Time Connected: 21 days 01:07:05
Look for something like that and in the logs 'CHAPS/LCP authentication (un)successful'.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Nov-13 21:46:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Remember also that TalkTalk Wholesale services are not exclusively full LLU either.
No, what I remember you said about PO moving to TT:
2. Will those with Home Phone+Broadband be given an option to remain on current WLR+SMPF platform, or will they move to a fully unbundled platform
If in an area which the full LLU service is available then customer will be moved to the on-net LLU platform, unless they have Red Care (rare alarm system).
So unless neighbour has Red Care?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Nov-13 21:53:14
Print Post

We don't know the person is in a TalkTalk LLU area - and also while likely they are full LLU now - still a reasonable probability they are not. Particularly as things seem to be messed up.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Nov-13 22:08:59
Print Post

Re: Any ideas on what is wrong with this - EDITED

We don't know the person is in a TalkTalk LLU area
Yes, you do!
In reply to a post by Allan1:
but the exchange has TalkTalk's LLU installed
Sure, anything's possible, but the likelihood is that it's going to what you set out, unless you were wrong in the 1st place.

EDIT: Isn't it also (more) likely she has not yet been moved over to TT as her line seems to be still WLR?

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 16-Nov-13 22:16:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to