User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrDeeJay
(regular) Sun 26-Jan-14 13:32:37
Print Post

Home phone only

[link to this post]

I see Post Office are offering home phone only on their site as they have always done.

Unsure how it works after they are using TTB for the full LUU customers.

Would home phone only still be on BT WLR line?

My girlfriend wants to switch her phone and broadband away from Sky. I am recommending Xilo for her broadband but would need a BT WLR line and Post Office £12 a month is a good price.

I know Xilo do line rental and broadband package but they charge full Openreach prices on transfer.

Thanks in advance.

O2 Broadband

1,291 Up 9,625 Down
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jan-14 17:01:00
Print Post

Re: Home phone only

[re: MrDeeJay] [link to this post]

Yes the home phone would be done using WLR so still be a BT based line

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User superspeed
(committed) Sat 01-Feb-14 18:31:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr saffron, I called PO today about this and it seems they don't know or do not want to tell us. I was looking at PO phone for £120 LRS but I don't want my phone on LLU Talk Talk.

The PO said I would have to place an order before they could tell me. So gleaned the answer that is, you could be put on Talk Talk network or BTW. Depends on if you have these at your exchange.

Not very good when they can't even be upfront and tell you if it's BTW or Talk Talk you will be on.

No way am I signing up when I could end up on talk talk. PO needs to know this information and inform customers correctly, be absolutely certain, without having to place an order.

Be careful before placing an order for phone services with the PO. If they donít know, then maybe best avoid.

If anyone can be 100% certain PO use BTW for phone services, please says so.

Plusnet Extra Fibre.
I don't use wireless and is disabled. Current Router = TL-R402M
Line stats http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4203678-m...
http://s6.postimage.org/o0nvpdeo1/See_red.png

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by superspeed (Sat 01-Feb-14 20:45:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Feb-14 01:02:21
Print Post

[re: superspeed] [link to this post]

I can't see it's technically (/wiringly?) possible to have TT phone only LLU for anyone who has BB from another ISP.

Your phone line would need to be connected to the TT DSLAM,
where the voice signal would have to be filtered off by TT,
and the BB only line to continue on to be connected to your ISP's DSLAM.

Dem wires, dem wires, dem wires ... wink

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 02-Feb-14 01:04:11)

Standard User alexadsl
(newbie) Sat 05-Apr-14 17:34:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Can anyone confirm the situation for PO Phone?

Historically, people have had problems with being LLU'd and then having to pay for another genuine "BT Line" only to have it LLU'd again by the next bb provider. A few years ago, Sky did this to their customers, and many of them lost their cherished landline numbers that they had held for decades when they tried to moved.

I decided to stick with a "BT Line" making it fast (minutes) and easy (MAC) and safe (no transferring control of phone number) to change broadband.

Now the PO is no longer "safe". My understanding is, allegedly:

1. If you had just PO phone, or PO phone+PO broadband, you are now fully on TalkTalk.
2a. If you had PO Home Phone and someone else's broadband, it stays as WLR.
2b. What happens if you cancel someone else's broadband on PO Phone? Do you find that the PO jump in quick and move your phone to TT?
3. What happens if you currently have only PO Home Phone and it is on TT, and then you try to buy someone else'e broadband?

I am in situation 2a, with Sky having just taken over O2 for the broadband. How do I keep the BT Line if I cancel Sky? I am thinking of moving the phone to someone like Plusnet, dropping the Sky BB, and then getting a different BB for it.

One thing for certain, it now means that if you want to keep the BT Line, you must NEVER get phone and broadband from the same supplier. They can shift the combination as a job lot, whereas having BB from another supplier seems to prevent moving the phone.

I have asked the PO what service my phone is on now, but no answer....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Apr-14 18:51:51
Print Post

[re: alexadsl] [link to this post]

See users other post where I have already replied

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to