User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alexadsl
(newbie) Sat 05-Apr-14 18:17:43
Print Post

Who supplies the Post Office Home Phone service?

[link to this post]

So the PO moved all their broadband customers to TalkTalk.

Can anyone confirm the situation for PO Phone by itself?

Historically, people have had problems with their phone being LLU'd and then having to pay for another genuine "BT Line" only to have it LLU'd again minutes later by the next phone+broadband provider. It's money for nothing for BT Openreach, as any transfer has to go via a genuine "BT Line". It also takes a LONG time when the phone has to be moved.A few years ago, Sky full-LLU'd their customers, and many of them lost their cherished landline numbers that they had held for decades when they tried to move.

I decided to stick with a "BT Line" making it fast (minutes) and easy (MAC) and safe (no transferring control of phone number) to change broadband piggy-backed on this.

Now the PO is no longer "safe". My understanding is, allegedly:

1. If you had just PO phone, or PO phone+PO broadband, you are now fully on TalkTalk.
2a. If you had PO Home Phone and someone else's broadband, it stays as WLR.
2b. What happens if you cancel someone else's broadband on PO Phone? Do you find that the PO jump in quick and move your phone to TT?
3. What happens if you currently have only PO Home Phone and it is on TT, and then you try to buy someone else'e broadband?

I am in situation 2a, with Sky having just taken over O2 for the broadband. How do I keep the BT Line if I cancel Sky? If it's not safe, then I am thinking of moving the phone to someone like Plusnet, dropping the Sky BB, and then getting a different BB for it.

One thing for certain, it now means that if you want to keep the BT Line, you must NEVER get phone and broadband from the same supplier. They can shift the combination as a job lot, whereas having BB from another supplier seems to prevent moving the phone. It's not cheaper to have both from the same supplier, as they shout from the rooftops, when you have to pay reconnection fees to move.

I have asked the PO what service my phone is on now, but no answer....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Apr-14 18:51:20
Print Post

Re: Who supplies the Post Office Home Phone service?

[re: alexadsl] [link to this post]

1. Yes - usually
2a. Yes stay as WLR
2b. No you stay on WLR, as to lock you in to only having their broadband when you did not order it would be clearly anti competitive
3. If you just have PO Phone then it will be WLR. If you had managed to have PO BB + Phone and was full LLU and you cancelled the BB then you might remain on LLU, but a rare scenario and TT may resolve it automatically by moving you to WLR

NOTE: When the new migration processes come into effect in 2015 then moving between all the combinations should be simpler in theory

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Apr-14 20:23:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
1. Yes - usually
Only to 2nd half of Q1. No for PO Phone only which stays on WLR as you contradict in the rest of your As.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alexadsl
(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 08:44:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thank you both for your excellent information.

Good news about 2015. It's about time the migration process was sorted out. Number portability for mobile phones came in over a decade ago. For landlines, it's not so much of an issue for people that live on their mobiles and only have it to host broadband, but if you do use a landline with a widely distributed number, it is at risk, IMHO.

Interesting that the PO initially moved "Phone-Only" to TT LLU, and have now changed their minds. It looks like they tried to go the way of some other providers and not offer phone without broadband. Bad move when their existing customers regard them as a proxy for BT!

So for the meantime, the summary is that if any supplier provides a Phone-Only service, then it must be WLR, or else customer won't be able to have another supplier's broadband.
Standard User alexadsl
(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 08:54:05
Print Post

I've just realized that the same logic applies to Sky's takeover of O2 broadband. Sky normally won't offer broadband without their full LLU phone. However they couldn't easily take on O2 broadband-only accounts where customers had separate contracts for WLR phone.

I wonder if or when Sky will try to take over the phones, and how they would go about it. Some small print in a circular to the customers saying that silence would be interpreted as agreement for them to approach the WLR provider with a transfer authority, maybe? ... or is it just my paranoia.

But that's for another thread.
Standard User binary
(member) Sun 06-Apr-14 12:42:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by alexadsl:
Interesting that the PO initially moved "Phone-Only" to TT LLU, and have now changed their minds. It looks like they tried to go the way of some other providers and not offer phone without broadband. Bad move when their existing customers regard them as a proxy for BT!

Did they?

Edited by binary (Sun 06-Apr-14 12:43:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Apr-14 18:28:29
Print Post

Financial stats for Sky should a good 20% (double check but something like that) of their LLU customers are on WLR

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alexadsl
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 09:56:16
Print Post

[re: binary] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by binary:
Interesting that the PO initially moved "Phone-Only" to TT LLU...

Did they?

There is a 35 page thread in Sep 2013 regarding the move to TT. Several posters then mentioned that the PO were no longer offering Home Phone by itself on the website.
Now, Home Phone is available on the website.

Edited by alexadsl (Wed 09-Apr-14 10:19:04)

Standard User alexadsl
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 10:14:01
Print Post

So the PO moved all their broadband customers to TalkTalk.
I have asked the PO what service my phone is on now, but no answer....

I had contacted the PO asking whether my line was WLR, and whether it would stay so. I ticked the box asking to be replied to by email.

An indian chappie telephoned me yesterday to blind me with (inconsistent) science. Unravelling this...

Apparently the PO are on BT WLR. They only use some of TT "infrastructure" where BT is not available.
Unclear as to whether phone stays with BT when they supply TT broadband.
Clear regarding fact that they are only contracted to supply 8MB/s ADSL 1, but some customers have had faster speeds which is just an "abberation".
Thought I would be staying as WLR, when I insisted that that was what I wanted.

Anyone reading this please treat these "facts" with caution. If you ask the PO a tech question, you are better off not getting an answer.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Apr-14 14:10:58
Print Post

Several posters then mentioned that the PO were no longer offering Home Phone by itself on the website.
That's not the same as moving existing 'Phone-Only' custs to TT LLU. It just means the stopped selling it at that time.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to