User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Thu 02-Oct-14 17:06:28
Print Post

POBroadband. Very poor. Don't know what else to say

[link to this post]

Moved house and as it is very rural with an old disconnected line, we had very little choice, and even less at a sensible price. PO offered free connection for the phone and cheapish BB so decided on them.

After 6 weeks we have still barely got a working service. Took two weeks to get the phone line in, then another 8 days for the broadband - and that date was changed without us being informed.

Staff are arrogant and unhelpfu, do not call you back when they say they will and just go through the same old mantra everytime "we need you plug it into the master socket...". Due to having noise on the line they eventually (after 5 days and 7 calls) said they would send us a different upgraded router. What a farce. 2 and half weeks later they now tell us it has to come from overseas and will be another 7 - 10 days. Pure BS if you ask me.

They wont believe there is a line fault, despite able to actually hear the noise on the line and in excess of 35 drop outs over a 24hr period - their own stats!

Currently on speeds of below 1meg (we knew it would be low, but we wanted it at least be stable).

Had to leave Xilo who were just brilliant to join this shower. What a joke.

Avoid like the plague.

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Thu 02-Oct-14 20:24:52
Print Post

Re: POBroadband. Very poor. Don't know what else to say

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Hi

I have found them OK....if there is noise on the line....it is a voice fault....dont mention broadband.
Agree to charges if fault is found on your equipment...engineer visit will be booked.

Ian
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Thu 02-Oct-14 21:56:24
Print Post

Lots of line drops. Sounds like you have a very long line.

If I were to guess you're using the supplied Zyxel modem? If so then ring them up and ask for a technicolor modem. Say you need this due to excessive drops and the Zyxel failing to cope with the long line. When I said this they knew what I was on about and there was a special process they had to go through to get one out to me. 4 days later I had one.

If you don't get anywhere let me know as I do have a spare one here. (I had one from when I was last a PO customer in this property and now I moved back I asked for another (thinking it might be updated but it wasn't)

I agree their customer service reps are poorly trained and have an attitude problem but they seem to be more helpful than BT (who I left) and as you said cheaper!

Post Office ADSL 4mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Fri 03-Oct-14 18:37:38
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
Hi

I have found them OK....if there is noise on the line....it is a voice fault....dont mention broadband.
Agree to charges if fault is found on your equipment...engineer visit will be booked.

Ian

At this moment in time they are flatly refusing any form of engineer visit, saying we have already had two engineers out and they have spent a total of 11 hours fixing problems. (which is correct but problems still persist).

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Fri 03-Oct-14 18:40:49
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brandscill:
Lots of line drops. Sounds like you have a very long line.

If I were to guess you're using the supplied Zyxel modem? If so then ring them up and ask for a technicolor modem. Say you need this due to excessive drops and the Zyxel failing to cope with the long line. When I said this they knew what I was on about and there was a special process they had to go through to get one out to me. 4 days later I had one.

If you don't get anywhere let me know as I do have a spare one here. (I had one from when I was last a PO customer in this property and now I moved back I asked for another (thinking it might be updated but it wasn't)

I agree their customer service reps are poorly trained and have an attitude problem but they seem to be more helpful than BT (who I left) and as you said cheaper!

You are correct on all accounts, but (too long to go into here,) we are still awaiting the new router and it won't be here until end of next week as "it has to come from abroad now" (pah tosh and Blks!).

thank you for the kind offer of another router, I have finally this afternoon manged to get the password out of them to use an old tplink router of mine to see if that will help - can't be any worse then the rubbish Zygel thing!

regards,
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 04-Oct-14 00:10:18
Print Post

It's annoying how inconsistent they are with customer service. I called for a technicolor router due to long line and that was sorted quickly. I called again because there was an authentication issue and though they were quick to give username and password so the router could authenticate when I told them it didn't work it became all to apparent how [censored] their technical knowledge was.

What did the two engineers find? I had 3 engineer visits when with BT and each time they found small problems but nothing they'd consider a show stopper. Luckily they always found something they could improve upon because that meant I didn't get charged.

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sat 04-Oct-14 14:27:09
Print Post

Thay have almost zero tech knowledge. I told them I'd done a "quiet line test" and had to explain what that was. I also had to explain what difference a very high attenuation makes.

The 1st engineer connected to house back to the over head line, then found 3 faults back to a jucntion box, which he fixed, but couldn't get it back to the exchange due to another fault. Another engineer came out, said the first engineer had got some of it wrong, re-routed the line via another junction box, but then found even more line faults, and struggled to get enough db for voice, but did manage in the end.

Our line is exchange only, takes a weird route and is about 7km long. But some of our neighbours do get about 2meg speed whilst we can be as low as 300kbs and suffering over 35 drop outs in 24 hours. It is worse during high winds but the Po refuse to acknowledge that.

woody

regards,
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 04-Oct-14 14:44:52
Print Post

Sounds like a nightmare line similar to those in my area.

Is the TP Link proving anymore stable?

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 14-Oct-14 20:30:04
Print Post

sorry for delay in replying.

Nope the other router made no real difference, although I have replaced the cordless phone which has made a slight difference.
But every time the phone rings or we make a call we lose connection. Have changed all cables, filters router, no difference. Theres no ext wired in so it's just the master socket.

PO put thru to their "retentions" dept. What a joke. speeds tonight 160kb..., but their line ping test shows no fault so theres nothing wrong... Pratts.

regards,
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Wed 15-Oct-14 07:05:53
Print Post

If they're refusing to send an engineer when there is clearly a problem in 8 weeks time(8 weeks since you first reported the very first issue if that remains unresolved) then you can contact CISAS.

It will either free you to move to someone else with no charge or force them to do something about the issue.

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to