User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User djgambl
(newbie) Wed 24-Dec-14 12:15:54
Print Post

Post office change of profile

[link to this post]

Does anyone know how to get the Post Office to change the default profile on my line please? I've been with them a week and they have set my profile at 13 dB. I'm getting a speed of about 1mb. All other companies, BT and TalkTalk, would reduce my profile down to 6 dB allowing me to use my ST585 and DMT to move the number up until I got a stable link and subsequent increase in speed. I'm not getting a lot of love from PO so called tech support, who seems to be reading off a card and informing me it's not possible because my line is over 5km. I know it is possible as it's been possible for the last four or five years.

thanks

Dave
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Wed 24-Dec-14 14:25:52
Print Post

Re: Post office change of profile

[re: djgambl] [link to this post]

I doubt if 13 is the default profile for your line; I always thought 6dB if you are on BT network and 9dB if on the talk talk network.

When I was with the PO (small exchange no talk-talk available) i emailed asking for my line to be reset ....something along the lines "following a recent fault my line seems to be more stable with fewer disconnections...can you please reset the line to the default noise margin..."
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Dec-14 14:44:24
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

It's 12db on TT/TTB equipment, so 13db sounds correct as it will have likely fluctuated since sync time.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Wed 24-Dec-14 14:44:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Dec-14 16:02:58
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Yes 12db, which applies to TT resellers also, though most will lower if requested.

Pulse8 Home Line Rental - Pulse8 XL Plus broadband.
http://www.pulse8broadband.co.uk/
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Wed 24-Dec-14 19:27:43
Print Post

[re: djgambl] [link to this post]

Hello

Best of emailing to make this happen, then someone slightly educated in the service might pick it up and action it

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Mon 29-Dec-14 20:10:28
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Huh, good luck. I had over 40 phone calls with POB (mainly due to a bad line) and at least 4 times I requested that change. No luck what so ever. Staff didnt have a clue what they were on about, and the one person who did said that it "was very complicated since were actually outsourced" (apparently its Capita).

I still have the line as I'm tied to them for another 8 months but now use a WISP instead.
Sorry but POB are the worst isp I have ever ever dealt with. (I still have the line fault though)

woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Wed 31-Dec-14 12:52:54
Print Post

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Not sure if you intended to reply to me but you're right their call centre staff are awful. Luckily after a few emails (7) I finally made progress, got the fault on my line corrected 3 months credit for poor service and someone who actually new more than the script.

If I had a choice I wouldn't be with them but I refuse to pay a premium for what will always be a poor service due to my line length. BT were £10 more expensive and I would argue their customer service was worse.

What WISP are you with? I've tried getting hold of Kijoma but have yet to get a response.

Post Office ADSL 4mbps

Edited by brandscill (Wed 31-Dec-14 12:53:41)

Print Thread

Jump to