User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chug_a_Bug
(member) Sun 28-Dec-14 12:51:11
Print Post

Speeds?

[link to this post]

Hello, I'm interested in folks speeds with PO. I'm currently at my mothers house who has PO broadband but without the LLU service, its with BT IPstream or whatever it's called now.

Speed and connection in general is very poor. Speed fluctuates 5-6mbps at best but its usually around 1-1.5mbps. If I'm lucky, Its usually much less than that (0.97 is the record so far). Doubtful its exchange congrestion speed is up and down all hours day and night (even in the middle of the night).

Rebooted router etc but no difference. I did have the BT OR engineer out for a fault on line a few months back did all the usual checks etc and it passed ok after doing the work.

So what are your experiences? Are those on the TalkTalk LLU line any better? Its ok for my mother she only uses it to send emails etc but it'd be totally unacceptable for my use. BBC iPlayer is almost impossible to use without it dropping out for long periods.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 28-Dec-14 14:31:19
Print Post

Re: Speeds?

[re: Chug_a_Bug] [link to this post]

if you use the tester on this site http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html

you will probably find the 1X speed will be 1-2 mbps and the 5X speed will be closer to line speed.

I have had this trouble with several isp's including PO,zen and orange on my small (non-LLU) exchange; my only remedy was to return to plusnet; you could try them or BT itself.

Ian
Standard User Chug_a_Bug
(member) Sun 28-Dec-14 17:28:33
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

AVG TBBx1 DOWNLOAD 0.51mbps
BURST TBBx1 DOWNLOAD 1.02mbps
AVG HTTPx6 DOWN 3.88mbps
BURST HTTPx6 DOWN 6.71mbps

WARNING: Your HTTPx6 speed is vastly different to the tbbx1 result
This suggests an RWIN, congestion or other problem

The speed test looks at various parameters, and in this case there was a large difference between the two download tests. A common cause for this on older computers (e.g. Win XP) is that the RWIN value is too small, connection tweaking software can improve this. Another reason can be congestion, either with the broadband provider or others in the home using the connection.

Hmm none of the above are true, currently using Win 7, no other devices sharing the connection, speed is the same any time of the day or night.

If I had to use the connection myself on a regular basis Plusnet is exactly what I'd be looking to get, fibre I think.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Dec-14 18:31:17
Print Post

So leaves the congestion at the ISP as an issue. We presume this was when using ethernet and not wifi

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chug_a_Bug
(member) Sun 28-Dec-14 20:38:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello there, yes indeed it is wired rather than wifi. Would congestion at the exchange still be an issue during the early hours of the morning though? (Was up rather late last night, 2.am, same issues)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Dec-14 10:04:08
Print Post

In theory it should not be, but as its holiday time it may be possible. Comparing two speed tests may show that the performance is better at night, even if actual figures are no different, i.e. line is more horizontal

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Wed 31-Dec-14 12:50:02
Print Post

I'm on a very long line with PO and on the BT Wholesale network. Generally get 3.5mbps - 4mbps. Can sometimes dip below 3mbps but this is generally just after the line has re-synced.

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
  Print Thread

Jump to