User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Eden66
(newbie) Tue 24-Feb-15 03:32:28
Print Post

Terrible Broadband Speed

[link to this post]

Hello ,
Just found the forum and this is my first post so please go easy on me - i'll try to keep this as concise as i can because i could write a book on the subject of our experience with PO .
My parents switched to PO Home phone & BB about 3-4 yrs ago and basically had no complaints - (bar the odd Router connection issues ) until May last year .
A few months previously my Dad unfortunately died and in May2014 my Mum thought she should contact the PO to let them know and ask to switch the account into her name .
Chap on the phone said no problem and it all seemed straightfordward ....wrong !
Following morning we lost BB connection and were basically off for another 2 weeks - during which time i must have spoken to every OP on the phone as i knew there was a connection and they must have cut my Mum off but was continually told "no absolutely not - according to our notes you are still connected etc etc " !
Basically ,we kept being fobbed of - had an OR engineer out ( we didn't even ask for him he just turned up ) no problems here - only when i told them we wanted the Mac code did they finally concede they had disconnected the account and been stringing me on all along .
To cut it short - we got reconnected - still with my late Dad's username to connect the Router as they finally conceded there should have been no change but subsequent bills arrived my Mums name .
We thought all would be well ....next Bill turned up and they wanted her to pay the OR callout charge £144 - we refused , explained what happened and eventually it got sctratched .
In Sep last year started getting VERY slow BB speeds and cut outs - i was using our old Netgear DG834G router by now as the 2 x Zyxcel's they sent had never worked reliably ( i know why now ) .
Wary of phoning them by now i tried emailed about the speed problem .
Amazingly got a phone call - chap called Naz fron PO who basically informed me i should try to use a new router - he offerred another Zyxcel , i explained the situation and he basically confirmed they are useless if you are a ways out from the exchange .
That explained a lot so i bought my own ( new TP link) and Naz got us a £25 credit - OK fair enough i thought .....speeds improved and we thought all would be well .....
Wrong again !
For the last 5 weeks we are again having pathetic and i mean PATHETIC BB speeds throught the day and they only imrove to a usable speed ( 3-5 MB) after midnight . By the next day we are back down to speeds like 0.5 - 0.6 Mb again ....every day !
I've even recorded a faster upload speeds than Downloads !
PO told me i need to do speedtests and Ping& Trace Route tests which i did on the 16th Feb - emailed them to PO as directed , and have done dozens of speedtests for them also .
Spoke on the phone today to see what was happening and got told they have no record of the tests and i need to do more ... i explained i have sent Ping/Trace speed tests on 4 different days in the last week to the supportPO email address and had auto confirmations each time .
I seem to be wasting my time and i firmly believe i'm being strung a line .
So i tried to log in to the PO website and it doesn't recognise the username /password - sent them an Email ( the same address as for the Ping Tests) and SURPRISE they phoned today ...so i know these emails must have gotten through but they still say they have no record .

So ....the upshot is i have once again sent these Ping?Trace tests in the file (as per the PO website instructions creating a Desktop file ) and also cut & pasted these results into the Email ( PO operater suggestion ) and i'm supposed to get confirmation they received them ....i won't hold my breath on that .

Finally - here is the kicker ....i wanted to know the status of my Mum's account 'cos we wanted the MAC Code and was told my Mum's account only started last May ....in other words my suspicions are confirmed that they put her on as a new customer last year after cutting us off last year !
The PO staff attitude seems to have changed completely since we first joined - they were in Wales and now based up North it seems - is this to do with the switch to TTalk i wonder ??
I'm obviously getting no joy whatsover with them as regards the Low speed - last OR engineer we saw said we have a better than average line for our semi rural location and should get speeds around 6 Mb .
If and when we leave PO will this improve if we go with somebody else ?
And has anybody got any thoughts /suggestions on what seems to be going on here - and what we should do ?
Sorry for the length of this post - trust me there's more i could include .

If you got this far thanks for reading .

Cheers
Eden
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Feb-15 07:41:36
Print Post

Re: Terrible Broadband Speed

[re: Eden66] [link to this post]

Need to see the routers connection stats but sounds like you may be on an older only up to 8Mbps with no TalkTalk llu so suffering from contention once data hits the exchange

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Eden66
(newbie) Tue 24-Feb-15 16:01:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply MrSaffron .
Yeah well , it wouldn't surprise me as i say we are in a semi rural location and although not a huge distance from the exchange in the village we are not close either .
Example - i was told by the PO chap Naz that we were too far for the Zyxcel but not far enough to warrent them sending their "better" Router ....so we had to buy our own !
Anyway - i'm afraid being a bit of a "noob" to this , i'm not familiar with how to get those Router Connection stats you refer to .
Previous to PO my mum was an Aol customer ( out of the fryin' pan and all that ...) but as i say the speeds with PO for the first couple of years were basically ok until late last year and now .
I only recently learned that PO had switched to TTalk so i presumed this deterioration was linked to that ?
Can you advise what i need to do re the stats as i'd like to get to the bottom of this .
Oh ...sorry forgot to also mention we are on wired connection and not wireless , and i also reverted to the old Netgear from the TP Link and the speeds were just as bad .
Just thought i'd add that .
thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Eden66
(newbie) Tue 24-Feb-15 18:54:13
Print Post

Update to last post -

Latest speed test results from supportal-test.co.uk -
Download 349 KBits/s (43.625 KBytes/s)
Upload 366 KBits/s (45.75 KBytes/s

Run a test at thinkbroadband.com/speedtest website -

AVG TBB Download
0.17 mbps
Burst TBB Download
0.33 mbps

AVG HTTP x 6 Down
0.80 mbps
Burst HTTP x 6 Down
3.09 mbps

AVG TBB Upload
0.34 mbps
Burst upload
0.37 mbps

Warning - Burst speed for web traffic is unusually high
This suggests your AV suite may be affecting results

Don't know if this helps anybody but i can't see how the AV on the PC is an issue as
a/it never has been before and i've had it for years and
b/ i have also have the same issue on a second PC - also via wired connection exactly same speed results .

Any help ?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 19:17:00
Print Post

Never mind the history and what CS said, let's just see the router stats and tell us the issue now? See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#32

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Feb-15 20:04:39
Print Post

Key word was may. Posting the link to the full results page will help as graph shape conveys information not obvious from just figures

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ian_KY
(newbie) Tue 24-Feb-15 23:21:42
Print Post

I can offer only sympathy, I'm afraid, being in a similar broadband situation. I, too, had much better speeds before PO "improved" the system by switching to TalkTalk. Performance now is usually OK (up to about 6 Mbps) during daytime but drops markedly in the evening, below 1 Mbps a times. PO sent me a new ZyXEL router and unfortunately took back the perfectly good Netgear router they supplied when I first joined. Ours is a semi-rural exchange, too, and this is my first post. I will follow this thread with interest.
Standard User Eden66
(newbie) Wed 25-Feb-15 16:40:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

XRaySpex-
Thanks for the link - the issue right now is pathetic BB speeds .
Followed the link to TP Router and it gave these results late last night when speed were edging near to "normal " ie 4-6 Mb

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 8128
Max Rate (Kbps) 1188 9056
SNR Margin (dB) 26 10.2
Line Attenuation (dB) 20 36.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

As of this afternoon speed tests show-
Download 742 KBits/s (92.75 KBytes/s)
Upload 375 KBits/s (46.875 KBytes/s)

Router stats -

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 8128
Max Rate (Kbps) 1188 9056
SNR Margin (dB) 26 10.8
Line Attenuation (dB) 20 36.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Download 1009 KBits/s (126.125 KBytes/s)
Upload 381 KBits/s (47.625 KBytes/s)

Gobbledygook to me but if these are the tests you wanted i'll leave it for you to analyse.
Standard User Eden66
(newbie) Wed 25-Feb-15 16:45:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

MrSaffron -

Another test done this afternoon
I hope i have this linked correctly and this is what you wanted -

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User Eden66
(newbie) Wed 25-Feb-15 16:52:38
Print Post

[re: Ian_KY] [link to this post]

Ian_KY ,

Welcome fellow newbie and thanks for your sympathy mate , nice to know i'm not the only one ( if you know what i mean ).
That's the reason i posted the whole experience as well as hoping for help with the low BB speeds .
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to