User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ludemon
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-15 05:02:25
Print Post

PO Broadband connection

[link to this post]

About the beginning of December 2014 I applied for the PO Phone and Broadband service, but after 3 months I only have the phone service and no broadband. I have submitted a MAC to them twice and each time changeover has 'failed'. I am now told that I need to cancel my existing broadband service with TalkTalk before adding broadband to the PO service, because of a technical incompatibility between the services, and this will result in a 10 day break in service!
I have not seen on any supplier or comparison website that this procedure is necessary. Most say that you have to provide the MAC and the new provider will do the rest and changeover will be seamless.
It seems that on other forums many people are reporting a similar experience.
My local telephone exchange is non-LLU and can only handle ADSL Max Broadband services at best.
Can anyone explain in engineering terms what the reason is for this technical incompatibility, particularly as the PO Broadband Service is provided by TalkTalk and I am already with TT?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Mar-15 07:59:37
Print Post

Re: PO Broadband connection

[re: ludemon] [link to this post]

Normally with TalkTalk there is no MAC to generate, since full LLU which around 9 out of 10 TalkTalk customers are on does not use them. If your line rental is with a third party, or you are classed as Off-Net by TalkTalk (which you are are) then a MAC would be available, but as an off-net customer going to Post Office would not be a recommendation many people would make.

Technical incompatibility just means in this case that their order systems are not working very well with a TalkTalk Retail to a TalkTalk Wholesale move.

After 3 months its time to give up and take your service elsewhere I think.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ludemon
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-15 04:27:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks MrSaffron for your explicate post.

Knowing what I know now in December about the broadband business maybe a move to PO would not have been a consideration. At the time I was attracted by the lower cost packages offered which suits my current usage profile.

Since I have already paid for 12 months line rental to PO, moving to another provider at this time might not be financially economical.

The options I appear to have at present are:
1. Do the cancellation/reorder procedure as required by PO (sounds risky!).
2. Do nothing and hope that PO can do the switch without a break in the not too distant future.

Any further comments?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Mar-15 09:11:49
Print Post

[re: ludemon] [link to this post]

The length of time is such that if you went all legal on them you can get any money owed refunded, and if you ordered a bundle with the prime reason being the broadband non-deliver of that could be said to require a refund of the whole amount you've paid them - seek legal advice of course on this route CAB as a start.

A curt but polite phone call setting out your dislike, or if phone is a pain then a written letter might wake them up.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ludemon
(newbie) Fri 06-Mar-15 05:59:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again for the very useful advice.

I am living abroad at present so phoning PO is not too practical, but I am in contact with PO via email and gradually building up documentary info from them to use when I return to the UK in a few weeks time.
Assuming that a full refund is possible, which off-net broadband providers should I consider?

On a related subject I have looked at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/cds-map/ for Devon and it shows a group of EX5 post codes near to Newton St.Cyres (Exch/Cab) at which superfast broadband can be expected. I live about 1 mile from that exchange and according to samknows.com that exchange can only provide ADSL Broadband.
I have done speed tests during the daytime and it is always below 1 Mbps. Download speed early morning before sunrise seems to be faster, but I've never checked it.
Can you explain what the situation is at this location?
  Print Thread

Jump to