User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Molehusband
(member) Sun 03-May-15 11:54:54
Print Post

Which router supplied with PO HomePhone & Broadband?

[link to this post]

Which router do the PO supply with their basic HomePhone & Broadband package?

I'm planning to set up a connection to monitor an elderly relative via IP Camera, so need a router that has built-in VPN and, preferably, allows connecting to a free dynamic DNS provider.

Xilo Talk & Surf [TTB LLU/MPF]
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-May-15 14:15:09
Print Post

Re: Which router supplied with PO HomePhone & Broadband?

[re: Molehusband] [link to this post]

I'd be very surprised if a bundled router on a consumer product had any sort of VPN endpoint support. Bundled routers are price-sensitive, so providers tend to use the minimum the market will accept.

Google suggests the Post Office supply (or maybe used to supply) a ZyXEL AMG1202-T10A. The user guide says it has dynamic DNS support for DynDNS only, which is a bit of a nuisance, as dyn.com charge US$30 per year for unlimited service. Unsurprisingly, there is no VPN support in this router.

In this case, I would check that you can get the authentication credentials and other setup details before entering into a contract, so that you can select your own router. I would budget for buying a router with VPN endpoint support. I don't have any suggestions, as my preferred solution is to deploy a device running pfSense behind a DSL to Ethernet bridge (such as a Huawei HG612 3B).

Print Thread

Jump to