User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 07-Nov-15 20:17:48
Print Post

User name for modem

[link to this post]

If my Post Office broadband account user name is xyz@pobroadband.co.uk

What will the modem user name be?

Michael Chare
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:50:57
Print Post

Re: User name for modem

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

You need to ring up and ask for it.

Plus Net - 40/20
(experienced) Mon 09-Nov-15 17:45:02
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

I've tried twice. So far I have failed to get an answer, though I am asking before the service is activated. I was told the userid would be printed on the bottom of the router.

Does the broadband userid bear any resemblance to the website account userid?

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Tue 10-Nov-15 11:51:08
Print Post

Not when I was a customer no. It was completely different, as was the password. It won't be printed on the bottom of the router as they suggested either.

Plus Net - 40/20
(experienced) Tue 10-Nov-15 16:31:51
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Thanks. Hopefully the router will arrive with the details. If not I may have to be more persistant on the phone. The last person I spoke to brought the installation date forward, which I really wanted so after that I could not be to difficult. I suspect it's the Wifi details that are on the bottom of the router.

Michael Chare
Standard User sidiq123
(newbie) Fri 13-Nov-15 21:25:38
Print Post

PO broadband wont give these details until the broadband line is live. Trick I use to get the setting details if you want to use your own router (if you have the router/modem from new provider). log into the router and backup the config (cfg) file. Open the cfg file in Excel its comma delimited so should be readable. The username and password should be in this file. Connect your desired router go to settings either manually configure or use the wizard when prompted for username and password enter the retrieved info and away you go......has worked for me on all occasions.
(experienced) Fri 27-Nov-15 17:37:38
Print Post

[re: sidiq123] [link to this post]

I have got that to work, many thanks for your help.

That is the good news. I put the information into the configuration wizard of my Plusnet Technicolor 582n. It has connected OK but trashed all the other settings I had by putting the router back to its default settings including deleting my administrator account to log on. frown

I ordered PO broadband and phone when contracts were exchanged for a house purchase. The house was empty the previous owner having died maybe two years ago. There was a dial tone on the phone and a DSL signal.

The phone was activated last Friday, and the broadband was due to be activated today. The PO router arrived on Monday. I plugged it in, the DSL light was green and the Internet light was red as I might expect.

On Tuesday morning I noticed the Internet light had gone green, and I then found I had a usable connection although I could only see the defuser in the Zyxel. So I rang PO Help to ask about the correct userid and password only to be told that as far as they knew I did not yet have a service!! I suppose that is the problem of the PO using Talk Talk who then at my non LLU exchange have to use Openreach.

I had found the defuser and password in the configuration file but I thought the password might be encrypted as my 582n does.

This morning I found that the router had restarted and was now using a new userid and using your instructions I now have the password.

Michael Chare
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Jan-16 02:06:47
Print Post

[re: sidiq123] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. Had asked PO/TT tech support and it seemed daft they would not tell me password... had not thought to examine config settings but can now do so and replace their router smile

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 02-Jan-16 07:40:44
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Had a similar thing many years back regarding phone number.

We were having considerable trouble at the Exchange, connected to the older Cross-Bar system.

Although we were on the Red Card Priority level, similar to Police Stations etc, the early BT would/could not sort things out.

Eventually when reporting yet again the horrendous noises and engineering tones we could hear, I managed to record them; and they recurred during the immediate following call to Faults, when we could not hear one another for about 10 seconds.

The Faults lady had never heard such extreme levels.

I then managed to contact the District Manager, who started the usual spiel that nothing had been detected.

I told him to keep quiet whilst I played back the recording, clearly including generated signals as well as NOISE; and that he should contact the Faults lady also, for her experiences.

He then said that he would arrange for us to be transferred on to the later System X, involving a change of Phone Number.

BUT that would be 8 days later.

I managed to negotiate that down to the Tuesday, reminding him of the High Priority nature of our calls and Red Card Service.

On the Tuesday at lunch time, my lady-wife found a Message on the attached Recording Machine, telling us that the change had been made.

BUT there was no mention of the New Number!

My lady-wife then phoned a Contact Number that had been included, to be told that they could not give her the number, as it was "Ex-Directory", yet at no time had we requested that!

It took her about 20 minutes to convince that Contact, to ring the New Number; and give it to whom-so-ever answered - my lady-wife, of course.

Before the days of CLI and 17070.

In the following week, I occasionally rang the Old Number, getting a mix of the old noises; and an irate joiner on a completely different but Cross-Bar number.

Although we had not requested "Ex-Directory" at any time since the very original installation about 1972 (after a 4 year wait), it was going to be so much trouble to have that changed, that we remain "Ex-Directory" some 20-odd years later.

Edited by eckiedoo (Sat 02-Jan-16 07:43:42)

Print Thread

Jump to