User comments on ISPs
  >> Post Office

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spuriousfish
(learned) Tue 21-Jun-16 15:15:14
Print Post

Broadband Speeds at Peak Times

[link to this post]

Over a year ago I was with the PO for Phone and Broadband, which started out very good. However, when Talk Talk got involved I noticed the broadband speeds at peak times were being throttled back. PO customer support acknowledged this was the case and that it was 'unfixable' and that I could quit my contract at anytime without penalty. So, I switched to BT and have had no problems with speed or anything else other than the engineers periodically messing about in the road and cutting us off - which would affect any supplier.

Now my BT contract is coming up for renewal and there's going to be a big price hike and I'm considering going back to the PO since their prices are good and they categorically state on their web site that there is no throttling back at peak times ' unlike some suppliers'. This was never specified before.

My question is: does anyone have experience of throttling back or not at peak times? The best I can get anyway is 7Mbps.

Thxs
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Tue 21-Jun-16 17:39:12
Print Post

Re: Broadband Speeds at Peak Times

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

Dont do it.

Try plusnet or John lewis broadband (also run by plusnet).
(learned) Tue 21-Jun-16 17:47:09
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

A reason why not would be helpful.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jun-16 18:03:02
Print Post

Because while we don't know the full details of everyones lines they are the slowest fixed line provider overall.

In short no sign of speeds having improved - feel free to be the guinea pig. If TalkTalk LLU is not available then deals like Post Office are generally best avoided.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Tue 21-Jun-16 18:19:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As I initially wrote, I was with the PO over a year ago. Their download speeds at off peak times where identical, (just under 7Mbps) to what I'd had with BT and Plusnet, who were my previous providers - yes I'm a serial switcher smile

It was only the peak times that they started to degrade performance but supposedly don't do this now - so they say!

Plusnet/John Lewis are also on my list of potential providers.

Edited by Spuriousfish (Tue 21-Jun-16 18:20:00)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 21-Jun-16 18:47:09
Print Post

I left the PO in similar circumstances. I moved to Plusnet and have their 18 month free broadband introductory offer. It works fine in the evening, but I only connect at 8mbps as the exchange does not have ADSL2.

I am just hoping that I can get Plusnet to offer a similar price to what I could get Vodafone broadband for, when the Plusnet contract comes to an end.

Michael Chare
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Tue 21-Jun-16 18:56:59
Print Post

A reason

It was not throttling it was to do with how much backhaul they are paying for (especially on non TT LLU exchanges).

John lewis special offer on at the moment (6 months free broadband)
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Sat 25-Jun-16 09:13:59
Print Post

It really depends on the area. I was on the Slinfold exchange with PO which had no TalkTalkk LLU but never had any issues at peak times. Like you I picked them because they were cheap on a Market A exchange with no providers and luckily for me it panned out. I daren't say that is the case for everybody though as many people seem to have issues and their support is appalling.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User bob12345
(regular) Sat 25-Jun-16 11:29:37
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

May be give Origin broadband a try , they resell PN so no issues with capacity , and are so much cheaper than PN on market A , and there standard price for everyone is 9.99 a month.

1st yr broadband free on 12 month phone and bb contract
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Sat 25-Jun-16 11:49:56
Print Post

[re: bob12345] [link to this post]

Ah sorry, I am no longer on a Market A exchange anymore. I moved and now I'm on the Withdean exchange so Plusnet (when on a deal) is significantly cheaper.

Plus Net - 40/20
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to