General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User phil917k
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-09 20:55:01
Print Post

Lack of access to LLU

[link to this post]

I get my services from the Sowton exchange in Exeter (WWSOWT) rather than the main Exeter exchange (WWEXTR). WWSOWT has no LLU presence from any of the operators. This is probably because according to samknows, it serves only 1000 or so residential premises rather than the 38000 of WWEXTR. The result of all this is that none of the most favourable deals from Sky, TalkTalk, O2, Be etc. are accessible to me. I'm sure I'm not alone in this position.......

Is anything happening that will benefit those of us in this black hole of mediocre speed, highly contended services bought up by operators from BT wholesale? Is anything to be gained once the echange transfers to 21CN - possibly Q2 of 2010?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Aug-09 21:00:05
Print Post

Re: Lack of access to LLU

[re: phil917k] [link to this post]

21CN will do little for you, but careful choice of IPStream supplier can make a big diference, generally avoid those with more than 300,000 customers which usually means paying more per month, depends on how important good speeds are to you

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Aug-09 21:33:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by phil917k:
This is probably because according to samknows, it serves only 1000 or so residential premises rather than the 38000 of WWEXTR. The result of all this is that none of the most favourable deals from Sky, TalkTalk, O2, Be etc. are accessible to me. I'm sure I'm not alone in this position.......
That sucks. Presumably it isn't being used to feed the industrial estate and business park?

I moved away from Exeter in the mid-80s but they were in the process of destroying a perfectly good orchard to expand the industrial estate toward Honiton Road. Looking at Google Earth there's now also a business park on the other side. Did they really hang everything off the central exchange?

Makes me rather glad we moved away then. We lived in the triangle of land where Honiton Road went under Hill Barton Road. Presumably we'd be on a pretty crappy connection right now :-/ Conversely someone living in Sowton ought at least to be on an 8128 sync and will eventually get upwards of 20Mb.

Unfortunately if that's the way BT is operating in Exeter you're probably out of luck. I think I remember Sowton village.Isn't there a road out the back that goes down into a dip that's always flooded? I remember cycling through that on several occasions smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Mon 03-Aug-09 21:35:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chewystuey
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Aug-09 22:04:21
Print Post

Is anything happening that will benefit those of us in this black hole of mediocre speed, highly contended services bought up by operators from BT wholesale? Is anything to be gained once the echange transfers to 21CN - possibly Q2 of 2010?

No and No.

Move to a place with a phone line that connects to a decent sized exchange.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Aug-09 08:00:04
Print Post

[re: chewystuey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chewystuey:
No and No.
But at some point fairly soon I imagine the exchange will get ADSL2+ which will be a boost.
Move to a place with a phone line that connects to a decent sized exchange.
That exchange is located in the industrial estate on the outskirts of Exeter. It's actually relatively new - it must have been built less than 25 years ago since it appears to be right on the site of that orchard I mentioned.

I don't see it as some 'out in the sticks' village backwater exchange. It's a purpose built building that must have been intended to service the estate and the business park. Tbh if I still lived there I'd get far better service off that exchange than the central one which is two miles away in the centre of the city. I wouldn't be surprised if that exchange was also intended to service the entire eastern edge of Exeter along the M5. There's potential for a lot of growth in that direction - it's even close to the airport:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&g...

All things considered-without being privvy to the council's plans-you could look at that as an exchange That's Going Places smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 04-Aug-09 08:01:29)

Standard User Killers2
(newbie) Sun 09-Aug-09 05:31:09
Print Post

Yeah I am also in the same boat almost. I just have Orange LLU around here.
Be get off your asses and come to (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMBELPE) I think the town I live in is one of the largest in derbyshire but sitll no support.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Aug-09 19:18:23
Print Post

[re: Killers2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Killers2:
I think the town I live in is one of the largest in derbyshire but sitll no support.

At around 20,000 people Belper seems to be a bit borderline for unbundling.
Whilst there are many smaller exchanges (e.g. Brackley in Northamptonshire, which has around 15,000 people, has Sky/Easynet, BE/O2, Talk-Talk, AOL & Tiscali - more providers than our exchange which serves around 50,000 people!!!; but Brackley does have more business lines than your exchange) which have been unbundled by companies such as Sky/Easynet & BE/O2; there are many larger ones which haven't.

Possibly what's swinging the case against your exchange (and possibly county) is it seems whilst Derbyshire has two very large towns (Chesterfield & Derby) all other towns seem to be around 21,000 or smaller (so there may not be a huge amount of backbone capacity outside of the main two towns).

Also; Derbyshire is a very rural county (indicated by all the towns, except two, being quite small).
This is also shown by the relatively small number of business lines supplied by your exchange (4% of lines; compared to 6.2% for our exchange and 12.2% for Northampton - which is a large town with a lot of businesses).
Many LLU providers (especially Sky/Easynet and C&W) will likely concentrate on areas where they can sell their product to businesses.

It's also possible in addition to there being not much non-BT backbone, your exchange may not be big enough for much non-BT equipment (some exchanges, especially ones built since the 1980s, are just small sheds).

The fact your exchange was given a date by BE (even though it was withdrawn) shows it's on their watch list; so there may be hope for you.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync Blimey....4707kbps now!
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Aug-09 21:04:18
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
e.g. Brackley in Northamptonshire, which has around 15,000 people, has Sky/Easynet, BE/O2, Talk-Talk, AOL & Tiscali - more providers than our exchange which serves around 50,000 people!!!; but Brackley does have more business lines than your exchange) which have been unbundled by companies such as Sky/Easynet & BE/O2; there are many larger ones which haven't.
It's a jolly nice place to live as well smile

Tbh though I was surprised when we got unbundled. Intriguingly several of them turned up at the same time (give or take a month). But overall I'd class Brackley as a rural community with a small local industrial estate on one edge. There is also a Formula One team but I imagine they just went for a leased line.

I reckon we must be near a major data trunk. We're not far from Milton Keynes but apparently for WBC we connect to the Birmingham node. We also rather strangely got Be over a year before Banbury did. Given that our exchange is the size of a small house and Banbury's is a large office block with a dozen floors it is a bit of a puzzle :-/

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 09-Aug-09 21:12:32)

Standard User Killers2
(newbie) Mon 10-Aug-09 04:03:46
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Hopefully they will come once the 21CN is here.
I feel like shooting whoever owns BT.. Figured out that everyone in my house togetherer uses around 75GIB a week.

Edited by Killers2 (Mon 10-Aug-09 04:05:01)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Aug-09 07:54:18
Print Post

[re: Killers2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Killers2:
Hopefully they will come once the 21CN is here.
I feel like shooting whoever owns BT.. Figured out that everyone in my house togetherer uses around 75GIB a week.
75GiB a week? That's 300GiB a month!

Ouch. Any residential ISP that takes you on is likely going to do so at a loss :-/

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 10-Aug-09 07:54:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to