General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User macker6464
(newbie) Mon 22-Nov-10 18:36:27
Print Post

Do you think I will automatically be put onto LLU?

[link to this post]

I have just had an interesting chat with a TalkTalk Indian call centre (on a dodgy line) and signed up for a 24 month contract to migrate my Pipex broadband to TalkTalk and include it in my existing TalkTalk phone deal for free. I was paying £19.99 a month for broadband so getting it for free sounds good.
Surprisingly they explained that they owned Pipex so I didn’t need to get a mac code.

Another reason I took the deal was I knew that TalkTalk were the only company that had LLU at my exchange and being a fair way from the exchange I am sort of hoping I might see faster broadband.

I have a few questions that some of you might know through your own experience or research. I didn’t ask the call operator too many as when I mentioned LLU he didn’t seem to know much about it and said “up to 8 Mb/sec” so I left it there. When he mentioned I could keep my same Hotmail email address I felt a bit uneasy! He did say I could keep my Pipex email addresses however which is very handy.

Do you think I will automatically be put onto the LLU service and what are my chances of an increase in speed? I am currently getting 1.1Mb / 340kb UL.
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1040903749.png[/IMG]

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMBREAD

Line Stats
Downstream / Upstream
Connection Speed 1315 kbps / 406 kbps
Line Attenuation 63 db / 23.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db / 12 db
Standard User tommy45
(experienced) Mon 22-Nov-10 18:52:12
Print Post

Re: Do you think I will automatically be put onto LLU?

[re: macker6464] [link to this post]

Not sure what they have sold you TBH all i can find is tt web site but if you are paying line rental to tt it could well be llu, as for your speed it looks like dlm has set your snr to 12db so you are not able to get more speed, dlm doesn't tend to work in the customers favour in most cases

Standard User macker6464
(newbie) Mon 22-Nov-10 23:11:36
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

My last improved broadband speed was from 512k to 2Mb (several years ago with Pipex) but it was unstable so it was throttled back to 1Mb (although the package is a 2MB package) so maybe that is the reason behind the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) thingy you mention – I had to look that acronym up mind!

As for which deal I was on you made me think and I did some digging. I looked on the TT website and couldn’t find the offer either but I did some digging and found it as a special offer on top10.com - online exclusive until 29/11/10 and then on the TT site itself - offer ends 04/01/11. It is called TalkTalk Essentials.

TT have called me several times recently to "talktalk aboutabout" it so they must be pushing it:

£6.99 Talk Plan unlimited evening and weekend calls
£4.00 for Anytime Calls Boost (unlimited UK Local & National as well as 0845 & 0870 Anytime calls 24/7)
£12.04 line rental
Free connection worth £29.99
==========
£23.03 total
Free “fastest broadband we can provide” (40GB limit) which makes me think they might put me through the LLU thingy. Maybe being Pipex they just left me on a non-LLU system despite buying up these companies. I hope they do.

Ummh I should have added the £2 a month International Calls Boost – Free international calls to the main 36 countries! Maybe add that tomorrow!

I sound like I am from their marketing department but I know I may be in for some hassle but I might get lucky and all will go well. Pipex were certainly getting worse and offering nothing new with the worst website imaginable year on year.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User roscoe7942
(newbie) Mon 22-Nov-10 23:39:51
Print Post

I am on Talktalk Essentials with the 24/7 addon just make sure you dont ring any mobile # because that seriously bumps your bill up
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Nov-10 09:47:43
Print Post

[re: roscoe7942] [link to this post]

10p per minute - but there is a mobile add on available.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Nov-10 09:48:21
Print Post

There non-LLU products cost an extra £15 a month, so 99.9% certain you will end up on full LLU

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User macker6464
(newbie) Tue 23-Nov-10 14:29:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Cheers for that MrSaffron

I will be chuffed if it does go LLU and I shall certainly post back as to whether my speed improves.

Always difficult to compare as you don't change BB provider that often and companies and technology change. I know there are always risks in changing but hey!

Cheers

macker6464
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Nov-10 17:47:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by macker6464:
when I mentioned LLU he didn’t seem to know much about it and said “up to 8 Mb/sec” so I left it there.
If you are put on an "Up to 8 Meg" package, that won't be LLU, even tho' your line is not capable of more than 2 Meg.
When he mentioned I could keep my same Hotmail email address I felt a bit uneasy!
Why? Your Hotmail addy has nothing to do with TT; it is completely independent of all ISPs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User macker6464
(newbie) Wed 08-Dec-10 00:26:33
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I had a confirmation letter from TT which stated that my estimated broadband speed would be 1.8Meg.
No mention of LLU in the letter but I am glad they didn't tell me I was going to get 8 Meg or up to 8Meg as I would have known something was was not very accurate.

When I get online I will post whether I am LLU'ed ot not and my speed.

??? Anyone know how I will know I am LLU'ed??

XRaySpeX - hope you don't mind but I have borrowed your signature style - it was a nice way of showing my BB speed... past and present (in my case hopefully future too)

2002: Pipex 500Kbps BB => 2007: Pipex 1Meg BB => 2010 Dec: TalkTalk (their estimate in confirmation letter = 1.8Meg BB - TBA)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Dec-10 02:06:35
Print Post

??? Anyone know how I will know I am LLU'ed??
Look in your router stats (& settings) for something like ADSL/Line/Connection Mode.

If it is G.992.5 or ADSL2+ then you are on LLU BB.
If it is G.DMT or ADSL then you are on IPStream.

Check both the Settings and the Status, cuz the Settings are what you are asking for and the Status is what you are getting and it will not be higher than the Settings.

What do you have now for this?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to