General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jarvist
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 18:58:04
Print Post

New Address - LLU questions

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,
For the past two years I've been with PlusNet, who I must say have been totally amazing. Great product, excellent customer service.

Anyway, this weekend I am due to move house and had been holding out for my employer to provide Broadband and Phone, albeit BT Business ADSL Max.

If work don't provide me with a line, then I notice that the new exchange has two/three LLU providers.

Now I understand the concept of LLU in that "if the provider has their own kit in the exchange, then you can get faster speeds and a cheaper service".

So, the providers are:
TalkTalk/CPW/Bulldog
Sky

I realise that I can also opt for Xilo using TalkTalk.

NOW ... Using SamKnows, the exchange is literally on my doorstep, and the distance calculator says "0 Metres to exchange" (Yes I realise cable length might be different.

I've also heard that the exchange WNOSW is at capacity, and even if I did get a LLU service, I wouldn't get any kind of speed out of it.

Question 1:
If the exchange is at or over capacity, does it mean that whichever provider I choose will be hampered by poor speeds?

Question 2:
If so, then is there any value in selecting a LLU provider?

Question 3:
Recommendations for the LLU providers?
I'd be looking for a phone line with unlimited local/national calls, and ideally an unlimited broadband service. I don't download a huge amount, but I'm keen to stream a lot more media than I currently do (as I'm hampered by the 20Gig limit on PlusNet Pro).

With regards to internet usage, on Plusnet, I'm currently using about 25Gig a month in peak time usage as I work from home.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 16-Feb-11 19:53:29
Print Post

Re: New Address - LLU questions

[re: jarvist] [link to this post]

Talktalk and Bulldog are different providers

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User jarvist
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 19:56:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Talktalk and Bulldog are different providers

Thanks for the reply ... but ....
In reference to www.bulldogbroadband.com/:
Bulldog Broadband is a trading name of Pipex Internet Limited, a TalkTalk company,
1 Triangle Business Park, Stoke Mandeville, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP22 5BL
Registered in England and Wales number 5306519

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 16-Feb-11 20:04:48
Print Post

When you see Bulldog on Samknows, it actually refers to Cable and Wireless having unbundled the exchange, imo wink

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Feb-11 21:12:23
Print Post

Correct, with Demon being a visible face of C&W beyond the various other providers who sell the services

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Feb-11 21:15:41
Print Post

At capacity for what?

Telephone lines?
BT Wholesale DSLAM full?
Sky DSLAM full?
TalkTalk DSLAM full?
C&W DSLAM full?

They all have their own individual backhaul so if one is showing congestion, go for another provider.

LLU if you are close to the exchange will offer up to 24Mbps speeds, BT based wholesale services will only offer up to 8Meg.

WARNING: Have you verified on a map or by looking that the exchange is actually next door to the property? Zero line length can be a sympton of the phone number being an active BT number at this time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jarvist
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 09:44:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yup, I look out of the bedroom window and over the fence to the side is a biggish office building. After driving past I spotted a BT logo on the gates. I checked the address on SamKnows and it is the local exchange.

My house is on a new development, but even so I cannot guarantee that the line goes via line of sight. I'm unable to check estimated speed as I don't have a telephone number for the property yet, just house number and postcode.

Are there any situations where the exchange would be LLU, but the ISP cannot provide anywhere near the full advertised speed that should be available. For example if line length tests show I'm 500m away, and should have a standard BT ADSL Max connection of 7.5Mbps, and say 22Mbps LLU?

Thanks for confirming that the backhaul is not shared, and individual to the ISP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Feb-11 10:10:03
Print Post

If that close then full 8Meg sync and 24 Meg sync should be feasible.

Are there any situations where the exchange would be LLU, but the ISP cannot provide anywhere near the full advertised speed that should be available. For example if line length tests show I'm 500m away, and should have a standard BT ADSL Max connection of 7.5Mbps, and say 22Mbps LLU?

Well an ISP can always mess up and insist your line is longer than the stats show and force a slower speed connection on you. This is why picking an ISP where others with problems are seen to be getting these resolved easily is important.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 17-Feb-11 10:28:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by jarvist:
My house is on a new development, but even so I cannot guarantee that the line goes via line of sight. I'm unable to check estimated speed as I don't have a telephone number for the property yet, just house number and postcode.
Do any of the neighbours have phone lines or even broadband that you could check?
Thanks for confirming that the backhaul is not shared, and individual to the ISP.
I'm not sure if that's the case.

Standard User jarvist
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 11:19:09
Print Post

I'll have a word with the neighbours, I don't get the keys until tomorrow. But might see if they have broadband and speeds they get.

If there's any open wifi, I can do a quick speed test I guess.

Since there's no active broadband or phone service at present, I assume that I just need to pick an LLU provider and get them to install a LLU phone line and activate broadband service.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to