General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AspieMum
(regular) Sat 04-Jun-11 16:54:14
Print Post

LLU and ADSL2+ and LLU vs non-LLU

[link to this post]

I have LLU sky broadband and apart from changing packages when they re-arranged their broadband packages (and I upgraded to the unlimited at the same time) I have had it since before my exchange was upgraded to ADSL2+. Which am I likely to get fast broadband speeds on the LLUed ISP I am using or a non-LLUed ISP?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 04-Jun-11 18:17:43
Print Post

Re: LLU and ADSL2+ and LLU vs non-LLU

[re: AspieMum] [link to this post]

LLU Sky has a good reputation, I'd stick with them.

Are you having any problems?
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Fri 10-Jun-11 21:16:23
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Depends does sky have ADSL2 "up to 16 meg" or adsl 2+ "up to 24 meg as LLu in your excahnge and what other LLU none LLU providers are you looking at and what is available in your exchange ?

www.samknows.com

will give you a good idea

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jun-11 21:56:24
Print Post

Depends on what you are meaning by "LLU".

Do you just mean "Full LLU" where your ISP provides both BB + phone line, which your Sky probably is? Then the only other ISP is TT; + maybe some resellers.

Or do you include "Partial LLU" where the ISP provides the BB and someone else, usually BT, owns the line? Many ISPs do this at selected exchanges.

You usually get faster throughput from LLU ISPs, when they are active at your exchange.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 11-Jun-11 13:34:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by AspieMum:
I have LLU sky broadband and apart from changing packages when they re-arranged their broadband packages (and I upgraded to the unlimited at the same time) I have had it since before my exchange was upgraded to ADSL2+. Which am I likely to get fast broadband speeds on the LLUed ISP I am using or a non-LLUed ISP?
You should get faster speeds on the LLUed Sky ISP than on any other non-LLUed ISP as the non-LLUed ISP will be subject BT's restrictive DLM. The only way to get faster speeds on non-LLUed ISP is to go to Fibre broadband.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User AspieMum
(regular) Sun 12-Jun-11 15:34:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Fibre is not available here. I don't really know anything about ADSL2+ except it was done after I switched to Sky from an extremely slow and problematic AOL connection (I would have got a better connection using dial up). All I know about LLU is that it uses the ISP's own equipment. I'm only 2 miles from the exchange and less than 9 miles from a city where I would probably have access to fibre and I am just outside a town (although that is not where my exchange is but instead at another village closer to the city- the town has its own exchange) has but where I am is technically rural- however not rural enough for schemes to help rural locations. Just 2 miles away I would get 20MBs or nearly 20MBs but I only get 1.5MBs to 1.7MBs- even being able to get 5 to 8 MB would probably solve the difficulties or may be even as little as 3MBs. This estate (which is about 5 years old) actually gets slower speeds than the rest of our village even. We get leaflets through from Virgin Media saying you're in a fibre enabled area but their website says otherwise- perhaps its other parts of the village and the leaflets get put through our doors by mistake.
Standard User AspieMum
(regular) Sun 12-Jun-11 15:42:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Depends on what you are meaning by "LLU".

Do you just mean "Full LLU" where your ISP provides both BB + phone line, which your Sky probably is? Then the only other ISP is TT; + maybe some resellers.

Or do you include "Partial LLU" where the ISP provides the BB and someone else, usually BT, owns the line? Many ISPs do this at selected exchanges.

You usually get faster throughput from LLU ISPs, when they are active at your exchange.

When I signed up with SKY they didn't do the telephone lines just telephone calls here. I do have that option now but I expect I would lose having caller display and I use callminder too and I'm not sure SKY lines have an equivalent so I didn't switch when it became available. I just have my calls through SKY like orginally which I guess is the partial LLU. My broadband package is one Sky only do on LLU so I am at least partial LLU. What difference to the broadband does the partial or full bit make? I don't really know anything hardly at all on this subject.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 12-Jun-11 16:06:50
Print Post

Are you saying you want faster speeds? If so, what are your current line stats, just to check you are getting the max you can...

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Jun-11 16:22:13
Print Post

When I signed up with SKY they didn't do the telephone lines just telephone calls here. I do have that option now
Never take it! It makes it the devil's own job switching your BB & phone to other providers in the future.
What difference to the broadband does the partial or full bit make?
None at all to BB performance, but it drastically affects the switching (see above).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User AspieMum
(regular) Sat 10-Sep-11 16:15:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2048 kbps 768 kbps
Line Attenuation 53.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 7.2 db 11.0 db

I think that's the stats. Sorry its taken me so long to reply.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to