General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User crey
(regular) Fri 28-Oct-11 13:36:51
Print Post

Disconnection charge on migration to LLU service?

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I am in the process of migrating from an IP stream/BT wholesale service with Eclipse to a LLU service with talk talk who have just started to offer LLU service on my exchange.
The application process on the talktalk web site was simple and it indicated that I didn't need to do anything as they would contact my existing suppliers BT for landline and Eclipse for ISP and take care of everything.I didn't need a MAC code or anything.
I got a go live date of 3 Nov and though all was fine.
I decided to call Eclipse just to make sure I didn't need to take any action to cancel my service and stop billing. They told me I needed to give them notice or they would keep billing me. So I gave them notice there and then.
They now tell me that, as I am not requesting a MAC code to migrate the service to another supplier it is a cease and there is a GBP25 disconnection charge on top of my one month notice charge.
Is this correct?
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Fri 28-Oct-11 13:50:07
Print Post

Re: Disconnection charge on migration to LLU service?

[re: crey] [link to this post]

crey,

See this thread regarding cease fees: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/entanet/f/4054479-c...

You may find it interesting smile
Standard User crey
(regular) Fri 28-Oct-11 14:54:50
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thanks 4M2. If I read that right, as I am moving BB and phone line a cease is chargeable I think.
I'll read a bit deeper to see if it's worth me chasing it up.
Many thanks for the pointer again smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(committed) Fri 28-Oct-11 17:22:25
Print Post

crey,

I wouldn't let them get away with it, it's probably always best to get a MAC key though, but I don't think you are actually ceasing broadband on your line rather you are simply moving from BT's kit at the exchange to TalkTalk's (full LLU) and I donít believe that actually requires a MAC key (?). The phone line will be the same except you will be paying line rental to TalkTalk rather than to BT.

I reckon you shouldn't be changed anything for the switch to TalkTalk.
Standard User crey
(regular) Fri 28-Oct-11 18:31:31
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I totally agree, in principle. I'll chase it and see what happens.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 30-Oct-11 12:31:03
Print Post

The problem is that you gave notice there and then rather than asking for a MAC there and then. A minor distinction but one they may use to charge the cease fee.
Standard User crey
(regular) Sun 30-Oct-11 14:47:14
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Yes I think you are probably right frown
I'll see what they say tommorow.
Standard User smurf46
(member) Sun 30-Oct-11 16:27:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by crey:
Yes I think you are probably right frown
I'll see what they say tommorow.

I disagree, as you originally said to Eclipse in your first post you are migrating your broadband to TT, not ceasing broadband on the line. I'd suggest if Eclipse have requested a cease from BT incorrectly, tell them to cancel it as TT will transfer your line and service as they stated (and Eclipse should give you a reference number if that is the case). All you asked was for Eclipse to cancel your account once the line had transferred to TT so they did not keep charging you. That was the posiiton I reached with Orange on a proposed transfer to Sky full LLU (although I cancelled the transfer order for other reasons).

From experience it is better to let the transfer happen first then immediately cancel the account, though most t&cs may include a "notice period" provision, in my case it was 14 days as Ofcom rules allow them reasonable admiistrative expenses (in my opinion less therefore than a full month's subscription).

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Sun 30-Oct-11 16:29:05)

Standard User crey
(regular) Mon 31-Oct-11 09:34:46
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Cheers smurf, I'll see what they have to say.
Regards
Clive
Standard User crey
(regular) Thu 03-Nov-11 10:02:07
Print Post

Not looking good, see Eclipse reply below...

"Dear Customer,

Many thanks for your email.

You are ceasing the broadband connection by moving to an LLU provider, this incurs a BT cease fee as you were on a BT circuit with ourselves. This is charged by BT wholesale for removal of broadband from the line.

You are correct you do not require a MAC to do this.

As it clearly states in our terms and conditions by moving to another provider without using a MAC code you will be charged a cease fee.

Your new provider should have made you aware of this when you placed the order with them.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Blah Blah"
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to