General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Wed 28-Dec-11 22:53:20
Print Post

TalkTalk LLU coming to exchange

[link to this post]

Hi,

I currently use Orange. TalkTalk LLU will be available at my exchange from early Jan 2012. I am located far away from the exchange (EACOM) so only regularly get an IP profile of 1500. If I tweak the SNRM I can get 1750 or on the odd occasion 2000. My Billion 7800N shows a down stream attenuation of 63.5. Question: if TalkTalk are providing 24Meg at the exchange am I likely to see any greater download speeds given my distance if I switch to them?

Operational Mode G.DMT
Upstream 448
Downstream 1824
SNR Margin(Upstream) 16.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 7.9 (not too much tweaking!)
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 31.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 63.5

Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Dec-11 22:57:16
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk LLU coming to exchange

[re: Frank873] [link to this post]

No, not at your line length, but you might get a greater up speed.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Wed 28-Dec-11 23:04:31
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks. I thought that would be the answer but wanted to double-check. I guess it's a question of "It's the distance, stupid" ... smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:26:17
Print Post

[re: Frank873] [link to this post]

Mind you, if you were to use the TalkTalk LLU product, you'd lose the BT Wholesale IP profile system, and that in itself would gain you a tad more speed.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Jan-12 17:16:55
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

You would be best to register on their member forums after signing up, as they may use a higher target noise margin, ie. be slower initially.

Their forum is best place to request things like target noise margin tweaks.

That said on such a long line, if it is stable and the price is not too much of an issue I would stay where I was.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-12 21:07:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advise. I currently get my broadband bundled into my mobile package - effectively free - so there is little inclination to switch to anything else unless I will see a significant improvement given I'll have to pay for it. The line is stable - have tweaked the SNRM (Billion 7800N router) and it holds well even down at 1 db. I typically don't run it at that value though. Currently at 1856 kbps connection rate with an SNRM of around 5 db
  Print Thread

Jump to