General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User IT_Help
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-12 20:50:09
Print Post

LLU and ISP's Slamming...

[link to this post]

Good Evening.

I am a local IT support guy, and one of my clients approached me asking for some help.

My clients broadband has been ‘slammed’ by another provider, no one at the organisation has said to any other provider that they want broadband from anyone else, and in late November 2011 they lost their broadband to a LLU provider, no MAC code was needed due to the LLU provider taking the broadband, and the old ISP could not do anything about this because of the new ISP being an LLU, luckily the phone line is still working, and that has not been taken away too.

There are only two LLU providers at the exchange (according to Kitz) Sky & TalkTalk. I called TalkTalk and the person I spoke to was very helpful and she asked someone else to look at their 'system' and they said Sky was providing broadband. So I then called Sky (twice after being cut off first time) and staff giving helpful service must not be one of their strong points, but according to them the phone number of the line is not in their system as being a line they provide on.

This evening I have been out the premises and there is broadband being provided on the line as their router says connected at 5017k down and 796k up, and various figures for attenuation and noise, but obviously not having the adsl username or password there is no connected ip address to see who is providing the service.

So apart from Ofcom, what is there I can do to attempt to resolve this issue?

Thanks in anticipation.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:08:37
Print Post

Re: LLU and ISP's Slamming...

[re: IT_Help] [link to this post]

Ofcom and the provider who you want to actually provide telephone and broadband services.

Most likely someone got a phone number wrong somewhere and thus caused this problem.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User IT_Help
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:17:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
http://www.whatismyip.com

this would not help as we cannot get on the internet as we do not have the adsl username and password. but otherwise yes this would be the first place i would try!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IT_Help
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:19:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Most likely someone got a phone number wrong somewhere and thus caused this problem.

Yes this is what i am thinking, but they are not paying any bill to get the adsl service on their phone line.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:23:08
Print Post

Firstly the term slamming is related to the telephony side of things when an unscrupulous provider cold calls their victim offering them a better deal, but takes over the line rental and charging for calls regardless what their intended victims want, usually the loosing provider will send them a letter (sorry to hear that you are leaving us blah blah blah....) just prior to them being changed, changing telephony providers is not part of the MAC code process it's because there is no similar system in place that slamming exists
you say here
In reply to a post by IT_Help:
My clients broadband has been ‘slammed’ by another provider, no one at the organisation has said to any other provider that they want broadband from anyone else, and in late November 2011 they lost their broadband to a LLU provider, no MAC code was needed due to the LLU provider taking the broadband, and the old ISP could not do anything about this because of the new ISP being an LLU, luckily the phone line is still working, and that has not been taken away too.

Again this is very odd, as A valid MAC code is required to Migrate from ISP's apart from those that are Full LLU ( FMPF ) that take control of both PTSN.&ADSL services on the line, So if one of these two suppliers are directly guilty of this slamming then both telephone (line rental &calls ) and the ASDL will be billed by the same company
Talk talk is available via several resellers,
There is one with a very dodgy past that springs to mind that being one called XLN Telecom ltd
Google them and you will see what people are saying about them on several sites they did actually come to the attention of Ofcom many years ago for guess what, Slamming but was telephony only,

Standard User IT_Help
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:37:51
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Thank you Tommy for your explanation.

Their phone (calls) bill is still being supplied by the original people and is still working, and there was an email from the old isp saying "We have received a notification from our suppliers that they have ceased or intend to cease your broadband service on phone number blabla on 24th November 2011. This is because of an issue on the phone line and is not an action of {OLDISP}. You may also receive this message if you have chosen to migrate your broadband away from {OLDISP}."

A couple of emails later "The cease in the service is still in place I am afraid, this is something that {OLDISP} have no control over. The actions of the EU has
resulted in the service being migrated to a LLU provider on the
24/11/2011, we can not stop this from occuring. The only people who have
control over this migration are the gaining ISP, at some point the EU
may have had a coversation with another provider and this has resulted
in the migration.
To confirm we can not stop the migration, the EU will need to approach
the gaining ISP (of which we do not have information on) and ask them to
cancel the migration. I am sorry there is nothing more we can do."

And no one does know who the 'gaining' ISP is, and this is the predicament theyre in unfourtunatly.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:41:07
Print Post

If the phone line has been left in place, then very odd, as a MAC is required for a SMPF move. So points more to an accidental move rather than a deliberate slam

To progress things really needs the actual line rental payer to pursue Ofcom, or contact Openreach directly.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:41:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by IT_Help:

Yes this is what i am thinking, but they are not paying any bill to get the adsl service on their phone line.

One of my former clients was continually doing this. The non technical comnpany owner would be given the spiel by salesmen and, particularly when busy, not even realise he was changing suppliers. He is currently locked into a 7 year contract with some agent for a reseller of TT.
The service is an abysmal domestic lashup which is a shadow of the original BT Business service which for historic reasons, I set them up with some years ago. as it happens, the company is a shadow of it's former self and it's main use now is email. It just gets by with what is a crippled domestic service.

Of course, no-one will admit to signing to anything - it just magically happens.

Is there a new router somewhere in a box in "Goods-In"?

Edited by Deadbeat (Wed 15-Feb-12 21:42:34)

Standard User IT_Help
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:46:04
Print Post

To progress things really needs the actual line rental payer to pursue Ofcom, or contact Openreach directly.

The acutal phone line rental payer of this organisation obviously wants this sorted so i will get them to contact Ofcom and i will try Openreach myself first.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:49:52
Print Post

I read it that by "LLU" you mean Full LLU (MPF) i.e phone + BB? As has been pointed out it should not be possible to slam the BB w/out the phone.

So, let's consider the phone 1st, as that seems to be unaffected (but is it?).

Who are they paying line rental to? When did they last get a bill? If not recently & BT, they can look (or set up) online a/c to see current staus.

If BT, does calling 17070 lead you to the Quiet Line Test on Opt 2? If so, line is still BT's and they should be able tell you who's put their BB on the line w/out using a MAC. The "old" ISP (was that also BT?) should then sort it out.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to