General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdm33
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:53:10
Print Post

Why is my exchange Market 1 when it has 3 providers?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Can anyone explain why my exchange is classified as market 1 when it has three providers (BT, Sky, Talktalk)?

I called the offcom advice line today, and the best interpretation I got is that the classification was made in 2010 and will not be reviewed until 2013. Is that accurate?

This is consistent, as the other two providers have unbundled post 2010.

Samknows link is http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMEB in case it helps.

And the reason I care - I got close to signing up with plusnet to find the costs were going to be higher than I expected - because their price strategy reflects the market classification.

Thanks
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:03:48
Print Post

Re: Why is my exchange Market 1 when it has 3 providers?

[re: jdm33] [link to this post]

the Market classification is not real time, it is revised periodically.

Prices should reflect the product you are on so if you can get the cheaper WBC products via Plusnet it's cheaper. LLU doesn't help you with the BT WBC products though.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User shahidjee
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 08:50:16
Print Post

I have registered on the main site and set up my details to start generating a BQM but even after ten to fifteen minutes the graph is not visible to me and the "download results as CSV" is empty except for the column headers.

shahid

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Jan-13 11:56:55
Print Post

[re: shahidjee] [link to this post]

What user name are you using on www.thinkbroadband.com as I cannot see anything for the username you are posting with on the forums.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Jan-13 12:34:50
Print Post

[re: shahidjee] [link to this post]

What has this to do with this topic or even this forum? Should be in Broadband Quality Monitor forum.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Jan-13 12:38:02
Print Post

Yes, the Market classifications were last set by OFCOM in Dec 2010. Since then other providers have arrived. Reclassification is expected about this mid-year.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Rich_T
(member) Fri 17-May-13 17:03:15
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The whole market classification system as it stands is a complete and utter farce.
to be effective it needs to be updated in real time, not when offcom get off their lazy backsides and decide to dust off the years old documents.

As it stands at the moment:
Customers who are with ISPs that charge less on mareket 2/3 exchanges loose out
ISPs who use BTW products lose out, as LLU providers can masivly undercut them

How can you get offcon to re-classify your exchange to what it should be, by offcoms own definitions of what market 1/2/3 are

And why are the ISPs such as plusnet so lethargic in doing anything to poke offcom into action, the silince on this is very telling, its almost as if there is a cost benefit to ISPs such as plusnet to keep the status quo.
Standard User martinsq
(regular) Sat 18-May-13 01:35:32
Print Post

[re: Rich_T] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rich_T:
The whole market classification system as it stands is a complete and utter farce.
to be effective it needs to be updated in real time, not when offcom get off their lazy backsides and decide to dust off the years old documents.

How can you get offcon to re-classify your exchange to what it should be, by offcoms own definitions of what market 1/2/3 are

And why are the ISPs such as plusnet so lethargic in doing anything to poke offcom into action, the silince on this is very telling, its almost as if there is a cost benefit to ISPs such as plusnet to keep the status quo.

+1
Been banging about this here for at least 2 years...
OFCOM is not fit for purpose !
Regards,
Martin
Standard User martinsq
(regular) Sat 18-May-13 01:37:09
Print Post

[re: Rich_T] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rich_T:

+1
Been banging about this here for at least 2 years...
OFCOM is not fit for purpose !
Regards,
Martin
Standard User Rich_T
(member) Sat 18-May-13 10:46:12
Print Post

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

somewhere in a previous post there was talk of a re-classification sometime in the middle of this year, we are now towards the end of month 5 which is roughly in the middle of the year, any news or links to when this may occur?
At the moment im with plusnet, and signed up to a line rental saver deal until November, when that expires im off to LLu land - unless the price offered by plusnet becomes competitive.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to