General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Apr-12 16:03:55
Print Post

PCP Merge / FTTC From Different PCP?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Probably one for the OR guys on the board but any words of wisdom welcome.

Anyone know if BT run tie cables from one PCP to the FTTC cabinet adjacent to another or reconcile PCPs by merging them?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Apr-12 18:02:45
Print Post

Re: PCP Merge / FTTC From Different PCP?

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

BT likes to keep the link cables to under 25m length, so chance of two PCP in that distance is small. Possibly if one is now 90% empty due to an industrial estate/flats being demolished, they might take the chance to tidy up things in the area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User partial
(learned) Wed 11-Apr-12 20:37:17
Print Post

don't really understand the question but I have seen two pcps next to each other get two different fttc cabinets, I have not seen two pcps share a fttc cabinet. Nothing technically impossible about sharing but I doubt it will happen as it halves capacity.

A complete reload of an average pcp on the fly, ie with live circuits and theoretically no customer loss of service takes me and my 'business partner' about 2 weeks. So merging two pcps together into one happy bundle would take us nigh on 4 weeks and no obvious advantage. In fact jumper congestion would be horrific. Probably why we ain't done one.

Edited by partial (Wed 11-Apr-12 20:40:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Apr-12 12:43:54
Print Post

I wanted to follow on from this - any idea just why BT have built their network as they have in an area I'm trying to help get FTTC? Yes bits were built at different times, of course, but it's just weird and, thanks to this weird construction, none of the PCPs are considered 'viable' for FTTC.

Here's postcodes the OR document confirms are fed by each of 3 PCPs, along with the PCPs themselves' locations.

For the curious these are on the Hunslet, MYHLT, exchange.

PCP 82: http://g.co/maps/zzmbe
PCP 90: http://g.co/maps/xwtbv
PCP 91: http://g.co/maps/dbjem

PCP locations:

82: http://g.co/maps/a52xw
90: http://g.co/maps/ay75c
91: http://g.co/maps/st8r7

Que?
Standard User charles1
(learned) Sat 14-Apr-12 14:36:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
BT likes to keep the link cables to under 25m length

I can understand that the link cable should be as short as possible, so I was quite surprised to see a planning application (conservation area) for an FTTC cab nearby giving the link cable length as 79m link

Also, there are two PCP cabs in my area that seem to be connected to the same FTTC cab, but the two PCPs are adjacent and have the same number on them so maybe BT Openreach class them as one logical cab despite being two physical cabs? link

---------------------------------------------------------------
O2 The All Rounder BQM Speedtest Pingtest
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-12 14:57:43
Print Post

[re: charles1] [link to this post]

They like to keep them less that 50m apart but there is scope for them to be up to 100m apart in exeptional circumstances.
I would guess that of those 2 cabinets, the one on the right was replaced by the one on the left and is now probably an empty shell.

Edited by Ribble (Sat 14-Apr-12 14:58:12)

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-12 18:53:13
Print Post

Who told you that none of the PCP's are considered viable for FTTC?

All 3 cabs are in new builds, these are generally missed on the first wave of cabinets, ive see alot of new estates have their cabs planned for in a later plhase usually about 2/3 phases later.

If and when the next spreadsheet leaks i would expect to see those 3 pcp's in the plans.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Sat 14-Apr-12 18:53:33)

(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Apr-12 20:12:24
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
Who told you that none of the PCP's are considered viable for FTTC?

Openreach's NGA Programme Office. Insufficient number of connected lines to make the commercials work.
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-12 03:10:31
Print Post

So the new build estate is it fully sold/occupied or not?

Only BT phone lines in the estate?

My Broadband Speed Test
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 10:39:13
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
So the new build estate is it fully sold/occupied or not?

Only BT phone lines in the estate?

It's not fully built yet, there are only BT phone lines in the estate, it is almost fully occupied, Openreach inform it won't be commercially viable even when construction is complete, basically due to the moronic way they've built it.

Openreach have no plans to do it, neither now nor expecting to as an infill. I have already spoken in depth with the NGA Programme Office on this, hence why I was asking about PCP merge / FTTC serving multiple PCPs along with queries on the network construction rather than asking if anyone thought it might be done as an infill later on.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to