General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Wed 15-May-13 23:51:14
Print Post

Merits and de-merits of packaged phone/BB products

[link to this post]

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum, but.....

Simple question - what are the advantages and disadvantages of having single supplier phone/BB, over separate suppliers for each. I realise price is an advantage for packages but can there be issues when it comes to moving supplier of one or other (or both).

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------
Win XP (SP3) Home, o2 Broadband Standard, Wireless box 5, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Website hosting & Domain name provider - Dream-Hosting
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-May-13 01:22:59
Print Post

Re: Merits and de-merits of packaged phone/BB products

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

Disadvantages of bundled BB & Phone:
  1. Phone with BT Retail would have excellent voice fault testing, monitoring and fixing.
  2. Phone with Full LLU ISP could make difficult future migration to another ISP resulting in delays and loss of number; sometimes even with Partial LLU ISP.
Advantages: £££s

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 16-May-13 09:12:51
Print Post

if you have LLU phone and broadband from Sky or Talk Talk you wouldn't be able to move just one of them away easily, if at all.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-May-13 09:45:25
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Actually on the phone testing, have one line with the cheapest WLR out there, and was surprised when it broke that they did the proper remote testing and reported fault as soon as found to be outside property.

Had a similar issue with a large MPF LLU on second line before that too.

It is very much down to the call centre, and who answers the phone.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rob54
(committed) Thu 16-May-13 12:53:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
  1. Phone with BT Retail would have excellent voice fault testing, monitoring and fixing.
  2. Phone with Full LLU ISP could make difficult future migration to another ISP resulting in delays and loss of number; sometimes even with Partial LLU ISP.

In reply to a post by yarwell:
if you have LLU phone and broadband from Sky or Talk Talk you wouldn't be able to move just one of them away easily, if at all.

Thanks guys, you are of one voice (excuse the pun) on that. Would that still be the case with BT for both? I'm sort of guessing not.

Win XP (SP3) Home, o2 Broadband Standard, Wireless box 5, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-May-13 13:26:53
Print Post

No technical disadvantage with BT Retail for both, but not as cheap as it could be.

My current recommendation would be BT Retail for phone and PN for BB, providing PN continue to sell BB Only grin,

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User rob54
(committed) Thu 16-May-13 14:09:27
Print Post

Yeh that's what I'm thinking I'm going to do (i.e. go go to Plusnet). Ought to sharpish I suppose! Not sure I can fully justify fibre, though I'd love to. Seems some people's experiences of that are not meeting expectations.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 16-May-13 15:07:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by rob54:
Not sure I can fully justify fibre, though I'd love to. Seems some people's experiences of that are not meeting expectations.

I think the vast majority of people are very happy with FTTC from its many providers.

The further from the exchange the greater the scope for huge gains of course.

I dont think is is down to raw speed for one connection (it can't make web browsing magically quicker unless the ADSL speed is dire) but with a couple of kids, smartphones, iPlayer, smart TV, connected SKY+ box etc they can all run flat out.

The price premium isnt that much these days (but it is there though).

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User rob54
(committed) Thu 16-May-13 21:14:10
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
The further from the exchange the greater the scope for huge gains of course.

The price premium isnt that much these days (but it is there though).

My o2 standard was meant to be upto 8Mb I see now it is rated as upto 16Mb. It also says lines of my type get speeds between 4-8Mb and I get 6Mb. The synch speed is about that at 6338kbps.

Re: distance from exchange, straight line distance is 2.15km (1.33miles). Using Google Earth, I tracked about 2 miles following the roads from the exchange. Not sure where my green box is. There's three boxes together (one not in use with doors always open) diagonally across the road from us with markings that make no sense (supposed to be cabinet 29). I can hear fans in one of the boxes. We live in a flat so no telephones poles to go by. Not a high rise place, but an estate of flats (in many blocks of 6 mostly) and small houses. I suppose a flat is never going to be great for broadband due to the number of lines entering for several dwellings.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Standard User rob54
(committed) Mon 20-May-13 22:38:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:

Sorry to come back to this.
I get that it's difficult, but not really understanding why it's so difficult to migrate from full LLU. Is it that ISP who also do phone will not do phone only (unless it's BT) when one wants to migrate BB away.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to